Why did you guys buy the Pixel 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
With all due respect why do you need a phone that can pass the extreme bend test?

Yeah....you pegged me....I bought it because I wanted to be like the other pixelites.

By the way the camera and software updates alone is enough reason to buy this phone.

Fast software updates at the cost of many other features? Not really that important, I've never experienced any problems on a device that never updated, actually it functions better with original software. Many phones nowadays have good cameras, it's like saying which place has the best burgers, there's many good choices. And with the cost totaling $1100, kinda hard to understand.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Fast software updates at the cost of many other features? Not really that important, I've never experienced any problems on a device that never updated, actually it functions better with original software. Many phones nowadays have good cameras.

Not that important to you *. It is fine if you don't like it but it doesn't make us wrong for caring about updates / security just because you don't.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nothing else provides better software. Pixel phones are essentially iPhones with Android freedom.

You have to try a Pixel to understand. You also have to be kind of OCD, very organized minimalist. It is not for everyone, no phone is. The Pixel is the most perfect phone for me, it is not perfect, but nothing else comes close.

Samsung: Love screen. Love hardware, hate their software. Hate the Samsung stutter, hate the slow OS a d security update.

LG: same as Samsung, except I don't love their screens.

Apple: love the software and hardware. Hate Siri.

Only potential dilemma for you that I could see is you might not be OK with the 2XL since the screen is LG.
I'm very happy with screen based on what I'm seeing in stores.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Fast software updates at the cost of many other features? Not really that important, I've never experienced any problems on a device that never updated, actually it functions better with original software. Many phones nowadays have good cameras, it's like saying which place has the best burgers, there's many good choices. And with the cost totaling $1100, kinda hard to understand.

Im not clear what your objective is. Android is about choices and we made ours intelligently knowing in advance what we are gaining and giving up. Most of us here used a thought process and came to the decision on our own. You are free to do the same. What I can't understand is why you can't fathom that we are entitled to make those choices even if you don't agree. You've stated your case in many different forums about features you like over and over. We've stated our case. Enjoy your V20....it's a great phone and it has most of the features you'd die for. You can keep it for many years because you can buy extra batteries so you should be fine until the software is no longer updated and or begins to lag.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
it's like saying which place has the best burgers, there's many good choices.

"many good choices" doesn't answer the question of, which has the best.

And with the cost totaling $1100, kinda hard to understand.

$950 for 128 GB version, $850 for 64 GB version. You're just under 30% over on your estimate.

Fast software updates at the cost of many other features?

No, fast updates is one of the perks. Not the only one. And at the cost of what other features?

More to the point, we know YOU don't care at all about privacy and security, but for those of us for which it is a top priority... which features would you say we ought to think are more important? An SD card? It's LESS secure, therefore a detraction. See where I'm going with this?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Im not clear what your objective is. Android is about choices and we made ours intelligently knowing in advance what we are gaining and giving up. Most of us here used a thought process and came to the decision on our own. You are free to do the same. What I can't understand is why you can't fathom that we are entitled to make those choices even if you don't agree. You've stated your case in many different forums about features you like over and over. We've stated our case. Enjoy your V20....it's a great phone and it has most of the features you'd die for. You can keep it for many years because you can buy extra batteries so you should be fine until the software is no longer updated and or begins to lag.

Something, something, be together, not the same?

Or Something something, want what you like, buy what you want, love what you bought?

anon(10271520)

Jul 5, 2017
Visit site

Why do you and some others keep assuming people are paying over $1000 for a Pixel? Please stop that silly assumption because it is so wrong.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why do you and some others keep assuming people are paying over $1000 for a Pixel? Please stop that silly assumption because it is so wrong.
Well I did pay above $1000 for my 128 GB Pixel 2 XL in US .. not that I'm complaining I love the phone, but the higher end model does cost above $1000 after taxes depending how much your tax rate is.

4a7e6abc2919c654c4837077f11f8a06.jpg

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My current situation with the G6 is precisely why I want updates quickly.

I forgot about the front facing speakers.. Wow, and the vanity of the selfie camera. :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
"Best camera" is subjective. Example, everyone likes the 12MP cameras, I don't however because when I crop the image, it looks pixelated. I prefer the 16MP.
Best is only subjective because you are intending to use the word best as if it means favorite or best for you and not talking about the objective capabilities of the camera itself. If you say what is the best camera for you then that would be something where your opinion would be what is being sought. If we say what is the best overall camera then we are saying which camera is the most capable of producing the best results. So if we try to avoid things like using best to mean favorite then it's a lot easier to avoid these misunderstandings.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
More to the point, we know YOU don't care at all about privacy and security, but for those of us for which it is a top priority... which features would you say we ought to think are more important? An SD card? It's LESS secure, therefore a detraction. See where I'm going with this?

I never once in my life ever gotten my phone or PC hacked. My cloud accounts have been hacked before (TMobile, TaxSlayer, Equifax, etc) security updates would have done nothing. The cloud is much more vulnerable. Celebrities have gotten their iCloud infamously hacked. Again, nothing to do with phone itself.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it's simple for me. Experience of everyday use Trump's hardware is it perfect all in a mind's eye. this is the perfect phone for me great hardware and software no worries for the next three years (if I keep it that long) if the software will be updated

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I never once in my life ever gotten my phone or PC hacked. My cloud accounts have been hacked before (TMobile, TaxSlayer, Equifax, etc) security updates would have done nothing. The cloud is much more vulnerable. Celebrities have gotten their iCloud infamously hacked. Again, nothing to do with phone itself.

If you don't think security matters... Think again.

https://www.wired.com/story/broadpwn-wi-fi-vulnerability-ios-android/

Now... Who do you think is going to develop the fix to eliminate the vulnerability? And which devices will be able to install that security right away? Lastly, when's the last time your phones got a security update (the kind that Pixel users are guaranteed monthly for two years in the past, and three years with the Pixel 2's)?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
How is IP67 low? It's literally the exact same rating as IP68 with a difference of 50 centimeters. Given that phones are never meant to be exposed to water, unless you're
dropping your phone into a bath tub or puddle that's nearly as tall as you are, it's impossible to ever have a realistic situation where the different would matter.

Exactly. I am thrilled with IP67. I'm not going swimming with it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Status
Not open for further replies.