11-04-2017 10:06 PM
27 12
tools
    I got my Pixel 2 yesterday and have noticed the led light never turns on. I have blink light toggled to on, but I don't get a light with notifications or even when charging. Am I missing a setting somewhere or is my light most likely defective?
    10-21-2017 12:31 AM
    I got my Pixel 2 yesterday and have noticed the
    led light never turns on. I have blink light toggled to on, but I don't get a light with notifications or even when charging. Am I missing a setting somewhere or is my light most likely defective?
    I would try testing it with light flow.
    10-21-2017 12:33 AM
    Yeah nothing. Womp womp.
    10-21-2017 12:52 AM
    I wonder if the always on display option interferes with the LED? Try turning that off.
    10-21-2017 01:16 AM
    I wonder if the always on display option interferes with the LED? Try turning that off.
    That was my first thought. Mine works with always on enabled.
    10-21-2017 01:17 AM
    I had always on turned off so I tried switching it to on. Still nothing.
    10-21-2017 02:46 AM
    I know you tested it with Light Flow, but just to be sure (this will be a fairly stupid question...) did you enable Light Flow and give it permissions to use your notifications? I no longer have my Nexus with me (so I can't remember for sure if this step was necessary), but did you check your individual apps if they had the notification LED turned on?
    10-21-2017 03:16 AM
    Mine's working. It's a very faint white light in the upper right corner. I've got a P2. Seems to work with or without ambient display on for me.

I agree with the above, try using lightflow just to see if you can get it to turn on at all. Or call up Google now that you've got premium support and see if there's a way to test it?
    10-21-2017 07:07 AM
    My LED has worked, but I am not using Always on Display.
    10-21-2017 07:51 AM
    Are you sure it is enabled? It appears to be off by default.

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Notifications -> Blink light.
    10-21-2017 08:16 AM
    I've tried the following:

Testing with light flow
    Turning ambient light both off and on
    Making sure blink light is toggled on in settings and in individual apps
    Turning all app notifications to on
    Restarting the phone
    Starting in safe mode and testing

I did some of this with Google support via chat. The next step is a factory reset, but I'm not convinced that will work. I'm leaning toward a defective light and stopping by Verizon to see if I can swap the phone (I pre-ordered through them).

One other thing I've noticed... The notification dot is inconsistent. It displays for some apps but not others. I verified that it's on for all apps. Not sure if it's related. I also have notification sounds off for everything except the messaging app. And vibration is off for all except calls.
    10-21-2017 11:52 AM
    I have a question, is the LED in the Pixel 2 a multicolored LED like in the OG Pixel?
    10-21-2017 01:49 PM
    I have a question, is the LED in the Pixel 2 a multicolored LED like in the OG Pixel?
    Yes; using Light Manager app, I can get several different color notifications out of it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tmanager&hl=en

PS: I should add, I am testing using a Pixel 2 XL; cannot speak for the non-XL version.
    10-21-2017 01:56 PM
    EDIT: To clarify I have the Pixel 2 (HTC; smaller) version.

My friend that works at Google as an engineer said they're having issues with the Pixel's LED not activating. He said it's about a 50/50 chance of it working. I assume they're looking into it, but I started talking about other stuff about the pixel so we never got into any details.

The first thing he asked me when I said I got the Pixel 2 was if the LED was working.
    nelamvr6 likes this.
    10-21-2017 01:58 PM
    I can't get mine to come on whatever I try...
    10-21-2017 02:07 PM
    I exchanged my Pixel 2 at the Verizon store and the led on the new phone also doesn't work (as an FYI, the light worked on the display phone - it was white). We did all the trouble shooting steps again with no luck and then contacted Google. I did a screen share with Google and they verified all the settings are correct. The only thing she noted is a security patch was released on October 5 and my phone's was from September 5 and showing up to date. I called Verizon tech support and they haven't pushed the October patch through and had no info/eta.

I'm glad to read Google knows this is an issue. Hopefully they have a fix soon, especially if it really is affecting 50% of Pixel 2s.
    BBook1999 likes this.
    10-21-2017 03:12 PM
    I exchanged my Pixel 2 at the Verizon store and the led on the new phone also doesn't work (as an FYI, the light worked on the display phone - it was white). We did all the trouble shooting steps again with no luck and then contacted Google. I did a screen share with Google and they verified all the settings are correct. The only thing she noted is a security patch was released on October 5 and my phone's was from September 5 and showing up to date. I called Verizon tech support and they haven't pushed the October patch through and had no info/eta.

I'm glad to read Google knows this is an issue. Hopefully they have a fix soon, especially if it really is affecting 50% of Pixel 2s.
    I thought we would be getting security patches directly from Google...
    10-21-2017 03:56 PM
    Just to clarify, I think he simply made up an arbitrary percentage to say that the LED only seems to work half the time and it's a toss up. Also, he wasn't really making any on the record comment for the company, so keep that in mind.
    But I did find it interesting that it was the very first thing he asked me; that leads me to think people at Google besides him are aware of it.

Since some appear to be working, I'm betting it's software-related. Hopefully it IS that October patch, because mine is still stuck on September security patch as well, and it does not work.

EDIT: If I get any further clarification/information, I'll post it here.
    Ca_lvn and Wiley_11 like this.
    10-21-2017 04:48 PM
    Yes; using Light Manager app, I can get several different color notifications out of it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tmanager&hl=en

PS: I should add, I am testing using a Pixel 2 XL; cannot speak for the non-XL version.
    The led works for my pixel 2 using this light manager app. It does not seem to work for charging or email notifications. I have always on display enabled.

edit: LED works for Hangouts messages for me.
    10-21-2017 06:04 PM
    Mine is working with text and missed calls.
    10-21-2017 09:22 PM
    After installing Light Manager, mine works with gmail notifications and blinks red when charging is completed (but only after it hits 100%).
    10-21-2017 10:14 PM
    So, the light randomly started working when I was out today. I had several notifications when I checked my phone after an hour or two without use and the light was blinking. I'm not sure if one app in particular triggered it maybe? I cleared the notifications and then tested it out with texts (which definitely had not been working before) and the light worked again. Hopefully it continues to work with all apps.
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-21-2017 10:27 PM
    So, the light randomly started working when I was out today. I had several notifications when I checked my phone after an hour or two without use and the light was blinking. I'm not sure if one app in particular triggered it maybe? I cleared the notifications and then tested it out with texts (which definitely had not been working before) and the light worked again. Hopefully it continues to work with all apps.
    That's awesome! I hope mine does soon. So far, I can't get it to ever light up again it seems.
    Allo, at least, isn't lighting it.

I checked with my friend at google again and he said it should be a simple software fix. So that's good news at least.
    BBook1999 likes this.
    10-22-2017 02:33 PM
    That's awesome! I hope mine does soon. So far, I can't get it to ever light up again it seems.
    Allo, at least, isn't lighting it.

I checked with my friend at google again and he said it should be a simple software fix. So that's good news at least.
    10-22-2017 02:34 PM
    Instagram just lit mine up with a light blue color.
    I heard Allo is supposed to use an amber-like color. Can anyone confirm?
    10-22-2017 05:31 PM
27 12