Pixel 2 led not working

Cbaca415

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2 yesterday and have noticed the led light never turns on. I have blink light toggled to on, but I don't get a light with notifications or even when charging. Am I missing a setting somewhere or is my light most likely defective?

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2 yesterday and have noticed the
led light never turns on. I have blink light toggled to on, but I don't get a light with notifications or even when charging. Am I missing a setting somewhere or is my light most likely defective?
I would try testing it with light flow.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
I know you tested it with Light Flow, but just to be sure (this will be a fairly stupid question...) did you enable Light Flow and give it permissions to use your notifications? I no longer have my Nexus with me (so I can't remember for sure if this step was necessary), but did you check your individual apps if they had the notification LED turned on?

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine's working. It's a very faint white light in the upper right corner. I've got a P2. Seems to work with or without ambient display on for me.

I agree with the above, try using lightflow just to see if you can get it to turn on at all. Or call up Google now that you've got premium support and see if there's a way to test it?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it is enabled? It appears to be off by default.

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Notifications -> Blink light.

Cbaca415

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I've tried the following:

Testing with light flow
Turning ambient light both off and on
Making sure blink light is toggled on in settings and in individual apps
Turning all app notifications to on
Restarting the phone
Starting in safe mode and testing

I did some of this with Google support via chat. The next step is a factory reset, but I'm not convinced that will work. I'm leaning toward a defective light and stopping by Verizon to see if I can swap the phone (I pre-ordered through them).

One other thing I've noticed... The notification dot is inconsistent. It displays for some apps but not others. I verified that it's on for all apps. Not sure if it's related. I also have notification sounds off for everything except the messaging app. And vibration is off for all except calls.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: To clarify I have the Pixel 2 (HTC; smaller) version.

My friend that works at Google as an engineer said they're having issues with the Pixel's LED not activating. He said it's about a 50/50 chance of it working. I assume they're looking into it, but I started talking about other stuff about the pixel so we never got into any details.

The first thing he asked me when I said I got the Pixel 2 was if the LED was working.

Cbaca415

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I exchanged my Pixel 2 at the Verizon store and the led on the new phone also doesn't work (as an FYI, the light worked on the display phone - it was white). We did all the trouble shooting steps again with no luck and then contacted Google. I did a screen share with Google and they verified all the settings are correct. The only thing she noted is a security patch was released on October 5 and my phone's was from September 5 and showing up to date. I called Verizon tech support and they haven't pushed the October patch through and had no info/eta.

I'm glad to read Google knows this is an issue. Hopefully they have a fix soon, especially if it really is affecting 50% of Pixel 2s.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I exchanged my Pixel 2 at the Verizon store and the led on the new phone also doesn't work (as an FYI, the light worked on the display phone - it was white). We did all the trouble shooting steps again with no luck and then contacted Google. I did a screen share with Google and they verified all the settings are correct. The only thing she noted is a security patch was released on October 5 and my phone's was from September 5 and showing up to date. I called Verizon tech support and they haven't pushed the October patch through and had no info/eta.

I'm glad to read Google knows this is an issue. Hopefully they have a fix soon, especially if it really is affecting 50% of Pixel 2s.

I thought we would be getting security patches directly from Google...

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, I think he simply made up an arbitrary percentage to say that the LED only seems to work half the time and it's a toss up. Also, he wasn't really making any on the record comment for the company, so keep that in mind. :)
But I did find it interesting that it was the very first thing he asked me; that leads me to think people at Google besides him are aware of it.

Since some appear to be working, I'm betting it's software-related. Hopefully it IS that October patch, because mine is still stuck on September security patch as well, and it does not work.

EDIT: If I get any further clarification/information, I'll post it here.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith