Pixel 2 XL initial impressions!

mekanism

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I have owned several Samsung phones throughout the years and am currently using a Note 5. I have been less than happy with Samsung's Touchwiz as it does bog the device down quite often so a Pure version of Android on a high end device sounds enticing. With a quick visit to the Verizon store to check out the "new" tech I expected to be at least a little blown away with the quality and snappiness of a non-skinned version of Android. I also expected the camera to vastly superior to that of my Note 5. Unfortunately the Pixel 2 did not impress.

The camera seemed worse than my Note 5, especially in portrait mode. This feature has my interest piqued the most as I'm a dad and would like to get those cute shots of my little one. I took several portrait shots in the store and my daughters' face was so blurred it didn't even look like her.

The screen didn't seem too bad considering all the fuss about it recently and the blue hue when tilted was noticeable but it wasn't a deal breaker.

The overall feel of the device seemed really cheap to me. The weight was too light to feel like it contained any quality materials and the curved screen edges felt odd compared to my Note.

Maybe I'm just not liking the current trend of smartphone design with the curved screens and mostly metal chassis but I wont be buying a Pixel 2 XL or any other device this upgrade cycle (even as my work will pay for any phone I want). It almost seems as if Smartphone innovation has peaked and these new devices really aren't any better than the devices we have been using for the past 2-3 years.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It weighs more than the Note 5 by a few grams. Do you not consider your Note 5 quality based on weight?

171g vs 175g

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I have to say I have to respectfully disagree. I've used samsung phones pretty much exclusively for the last 3-4 years. As good as the camera quality on a Samsung phone is, this phone by far has one of the best cameras out there. I love the quickness of this phone. Battery life is excellent, better than any phone I've had in the past especially on day 1. Over 15 hours and almost 6 hours of screen on time. I'm not at all worried about the screen. I look at my phones head on. So no issue there. Maybe the phone you used has issues with the camera.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but whole heartedly disagree... I've used at least a dozen Samsung's and have had to hard reset at least once and usually twice during a year's use just to get the jank out. I've not hard reset my pixel once and that says a LOT. Software matters.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not that quick to dismiss someone because they feel different than I do about an electronic device. I have the S8+ and I'm going to be switching to a Pixel phone for the guarantee of 3 years of updates.
Samsung makes great phones but their money is in the comeback. They purposely ship phones without the latest operating system and will release a phone without the newest system and update that phone months later.
For me I want prompt updates and a phone that will last. I had the pixel last year but the lack of water proofing made me switch. I look forward to trying both models this year and making a decision on which to keep.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
i still have a note 4 and yes its has a great screen, but thats the only thing samsung has on Google....Ive been a pixel XL user for a year and will be a Pixel XL 2 user in a few days...for me its have a smart phone thats actually "smart." Also, its so much smoother running clean Oreo

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
After a day with the Pixel 2 I'm loving it, coming from an S8. Love the size and the screen is spot on. Couple of small quirky issues like the AOD and double tap to wake not working when you're running Android Auto (the stand alone app) and not being able to share pictures on Google Photos any more, but other than that it really is excellent.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I must respectfully, but emphatically, disagree with the OP. I don't think that the "feel" of the new 2 XL is "really cheap". And frankly, I am really confused about people who say this.

Obviously this is a subjective judgement, and if you think it feels cheap then you should look elsewhere. But I just don't understand how this phone feels "cheap" to some people. To me the feel of this phone is fantastic. It has some heft to it, but it's not too heavy or bulky. And again, that's subjective, so everyone will have their own opinion.

My initial impression is that I love it! I spent many hours last night setting it up, Oreo is fantastic. I admit I have been using it for a while on my Pixel C tablet, so I already was at least a little familiar with it. I may not have been quite as lost as some who are switching from Nougat or earlier. So setting things up wasn't really all that difficult.

I did have some trouble getting it activated on verizon, I had to call tech support. But once that speed bump was in my rear view using the phone has been a pleasure.

The notorious screen is great to me. I looked for and saw the infamous blue hue with screen tilt, and then upon starting to use the phone I completely forgot about it until just now when I started typing this post. It is a complete non-issue to me, a tempest in a teapot. I am 100% convinced that this will also be a non-issue to the vast majority of people who use this phone. The muted colors don't bother me, the screen is sharp and detailed. I love it.

Everything I do with this phone is quick and smooth. It's the fastest phone I've ever had. The Google Android experience is the best I've experienced, and I go back to the OG Motorola Droid.

Last edited:

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
After a day with the Pixel 2 I'm loving it, coming from an S8. Love the size and the screen is spot on. Couple of small quirky issues like the AOD and double tap to wake not working when you're running Android Auto (the stand alone app) and not being able to share pictures on Google Photos any more, but other than that it really is excellent.

What do you mean "not being able to share pictures on Google photos anymore" ?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I must respectfully, but emphatically, disagree with the OP. I don't think that the "feel" of the ne 2 XL is "really cheap". And frankly, I am really confused about people who say this.

Obviously this is a subjective judgement, and if you think it feels cheap then you should look elsewhere. But I just don't understand how this phone feels "cheap" to some people. To me the feel of this phone is fantastic. It has some heft to it, but it's not too heavy or bulky. And again, that's subjective, so everyone will have their own opinion.

My initial impression is that I love it! I spent many hours last night setting it up, Oreo is fantastic. I admit I have been using it for a while on my Pixel C tablet, so I already was at least a little familiar with it. I may not have been quite as lost as some who are switching from Nougat or earlier. So setting things up wasn't really all that difficult.

I did have some trouble getting it activated on verizon, I had to call tech support. But once that speed bump was in my rear view using the phone has been a pleasure.

The notorious screen is great to me. I looked for and saw the infamous blue hue with screen tilt, and then upon starting to use the phone I completely forgot about it until just now when I started typing this post. It is a complete non-issue to me, a tempest in a teapot. I am 100% convinced that this will also be a non-issue to the vast majority of people who use this phone. The muted colors don't bother me, the screen is sharp and detailed. I love it.

Everything I do with this phone is quick and smooth. It's the fastest phone I've ever had. The Google Android experience is the best I've experienced, and I go back to the OG Motorola Droid.

Not looking forward to activation on Sprint - that was a PITA last year, but I think I have a rep who knows what she's doing and we can get it done. I think I'm the only person who uses a Pixel in my area *eye roll* --

I have been using my son's s8 a few times and it's so light compared to my OG Pixel, I'm wondering (not joking) if the extra weight of my phone has contributed to my wrist fatigue I feel some days after heavy use. Still waiting for my card to be charged - SIGH. I ordered the black 128 on Oct 4 *on purpose* because it said "IN STOCK" -

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Not looking forward to activation on Sprint - that was a PITA last year, but I think I have a rep who knows what she's doing and we can get it done. I think I'm the only person who uses a Pixel in my area *eye roll* --

I have been using my son's s8 a few times and it's so light compared to my OG Pixel, I'm wondering (not joking) if the extra weight of my phone has contributed to my wrist fatigue I feel some days after heavy use. Still waiting for my card to be charged - SIGH. I ordered the black 128 on Oct 4 *on purpose* because it said "IN STOCK" -

Make sure you have the right SIM card. The BYOD sim kit will work. There is another thread about it.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Hang in there, it will come.

I was pondering whether I should get the 128 or the 64GB, in the end I couldn't justify the extras expense since I never got past using half the 64GB I had on my S6.

This phone feels anything but cheap to me. To me it feels substantial, but not burdensome... It feels monolithic.

How's that for prosaic? I guess I'm waxing philosophic this Sunday...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463