Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
10-25-2017 04:48 PM
65 123
tools
    That being said, I am in love with the software on this device and Google will likely give a fair trade in value on the Pixel 2 XL when I look to upgrade again.
    Same. And if you were upgrading from the Pixel this year, the trade in value was actually more than fair as it exceeded what the phone is selling for on the general secondhand market! (I expect this is likely because they didn't want to be offering less in trade for their own product than for what was a equally priced iPhone, so they subsidized the difference and a bit more to the 3rd party that's actually acquiring the phones).
    10-23-2017 02:03 PM
    Same. And if you were upgrading from the Pixel this year, the trade in value was actually more than fair as it exceeded what the phone is selling for on the general secondhand market! (I expect this is likely because they didn't want to be offering less in trade for their own product than for what was a equally priced iPhone, so they subsidized the difference and a bit more to the 3rd party that's actually acquiring the phones).
    one reason why i upgraded, google giving me $410 for my pixel XL
    I hope they do the same next year and ill most likely get the 3 XL
    10-23-2017 02:10 PM
    one reason why i upgraded, google giving me $410 for my pixel XL
    I hope they do the same next year and ill most likely get the 3 XL
    It's a pretty ingenious system to encourage annual upgrades, especially for those who use the Google Financing!

1. Offer more in trade-in value for their current Pixel than one could get selling it secondhand on eBay or Swappa.
    2. Sell them the new Pixel model.
    3. Structure the credit from the trade-in such that it applies on the tail end of the financing, so that the last payment is made on the now-current Pixel right as the next generation releases.

Rinse and repeat.

I think they have me on the hook, those clever devils...
    10-23-2017 02:33 PM
    It's a pretty ingenious system to encourage annual upgrades, especially for those who use the Google Financing!

1. Offer more in trade-in value for their current Pixel than one could get selling it secondhand on eBay or Swappa.
    3. Structure the credit from the trade-in such that it applies on the tail end of the financing, so that the last payment is made on the now-current Pixel right as the next generation releases.

Rinse and repeat.

Yup, this is what I been doing for the past. Sell my old phones and buy new ones. Google just made it easier with their trade in program.

Haha, this is how I get my wife to let me change my phone every year.
    10-23-2017 02:41 PM
    The level 1 rep was probably referring to a software update that will possibly resolve some color issues. Google did mention recently to an android site (can’t remember which one) they they were looking at a software update to make the colors more vibrate on the display. The burn in issue probably took them by surprise and they are just trying to see how to address that as a separate issue. My advice would be to wait and see how the issue is addressed before taking the plunge. Unless you just have to have the phone now it could be beneficial to wait and possibly get a better quality display in a month or so without having to deal with a warranty replacement.
    10-23-2017 02:57 PM
    Yup, this is what I been doing for the past. Sell my old phones and buy new ones. Google just made it easier with their trade in program.

Haha, this is how I get my wife to let me change my phone every year.
    Yeah, it's really the only way to do it anymore. The phones are expensive. I used to do every two years, but I thought about it and realized the money kind of works out where it's only a little more expensive a month to swap out every year.
    10-23-2017 03:07 PM
    Well... Since my 2 XL will be here tomorrow (supposedly), I will have to see how this pans out. I will replace it if I need to. I'll probably buy another Essential phone too since I should get $200 credit for my initial purchase of one. I know the few issues with that phone and would gladly get another for a cheaper price.
    AustinIllini likes this.
    10-23-2017 03:09 PM

Rinse and repeat.

Totally off topic, but my gosh, I never looked at it this way!

I didn't buy the original pixel, but if they does this again with the pixel 3, I'll be trading in the pixel 2 for it.
    10-23-2017 03:24 PM
    We just pay ourselves $50-$100/month towards phones and alternate upgrading every other year. Google's trade in value makes it nice, especially if you stick with the Pixel 2. We end up with money left over and at some point we will scale back, depending on what iPhone pricing looks like for my wife.
    10-23-2017 09:12 PM
    I want the phone too but now there is a verified burn in issue, it's to new to be having burn in issue IMO.
    Also, check out jerryrigeverything on you tube. That guy puts phones thru some serious testing. If the finger print sensor gets scratched, and it's only plastic with a paint coating, it will not longer work. Furthermore the phone has a plastic WiFi antenna, how effective is that going to be?
    One last thing, how's it's battery life? Like I said, I really wanted the Pixel 2XL but I don't know, seems to have a lot of issues for being out a week or so...
    10-23-2017 10:01 PM
    That would certainly be good news. The XL is awesome.
    10-23-2017 10:12 PM
    If you search for a setting, in the settings even if it is disabled, I do believe it shows what the setting is configured to. So, if you are a developer, ( you enabled the developers settings) then the setting is searchable. When searching for sRGB the setting seems to be set to sRGB. Why they forced the setting only on the XL is an enigma.
    Attached Thumbnails P2XL screens already fixed?-screenshot_20171023-211037.jpg  
    10-23-2017 10:31 PM
    I want the phone too but now there is a verified burn in issue, it's to new to be having burn in issue IMO.
    Also, check out jerryrigeverything on you tube. That guy puts phones thru some serious testing. If the finger print sensor gets scratched, and it's only plastic with a paint coating, it will not longer work. Furthermore the phone has a plastic WiFi antenna, how effective is that going to be?
    One last thing, how's it's battery life? Like I said, I really wanted the Pixel 2XL but I don't know, seems to have a lot of issues for being out a week or so...
    I wouldn't use jerryrig for anything really. His tests are in no way anything close to reality. I have the phone and it's fine. The WiFi is great. The reception is better than my 6P which I'm upgrading from. The battery life is great. I've been averaging over 5hrs of SoT.
    10-23-2017 10:52 PM
    On mine you can just change it in the settings...you're saying you can't? I remember seeing it in my settings and leaving it on. Although I did flip to "vivid" (and saw no real difference in that). I'm happy enough with the default colors as of now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it's available in the settings, no search needed to find it.
    I don't have the phone around right now to check.
    10-23-2017 11:40 PM
    On mine you can just change it in the settings...you're saying you can't? I remember seeing it in my settings and leaving it on. Although I did flip to "vivid" (and saw no real difference in that). I'm happy enough with the default colors as of now.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe it's available in the settings, no search needed to find it.
    I don't have the phone around right now to check.
    The vivid color really only bumps up saturation by about 10%. So it's not a huge difference.
    10-23-2017 11:51 PM
    The way I figure it is I don't mind the blue tint off-angle because... well, I don't go to the effort to look at my phone at a weird angle. Screen burn-in, though, that's a concern.

Good news is, for those of us who have already (or do in the near future) received ones that exhibit these, if they make a change for future production to correct for it, it's a tacit admission of a flaw with the early units, and clear grounds for a warranty exchange.
    Haha, apparently a lot of people like to look at their phones with all kinds of weird angles. Been using my 2 XL since last Thursday. Yes it does have a blue tint, but I haven't really noticed it. Why? Because I look at my phone straight on.
    Then you're some of the lucky ones who got a decent screen. What SO many people are missing on this issue is that there is huge variability with the blue tint. Some aren't too bad, others are really horrible. People need to stop assuming that since their phone is ok, everyone else is complaining too much.

Hopefully the blue tint was only an issue with the early phones and really is being addressed, as the reps said. But being that it's clearly a hardware issue, I'm not sure if it could be addressed that quickly. I guess we need to wait and see if the issue clears up as more phones get to users.
    Pinhead117 likes this.
    10-24-2017 08:43 AM
    I would like Google to issue a direct statement regarding the screen issues on the Pixel 2 XL, since they are apparently so widespread. I have an order in for one November end and I really don't want a defective LG display. I am very close to cancelling the order.
    TornadoRed and Morty2264 like this.
    10-24-2017 09:45 AM
    I would like Google to issue a direct statement regarding the screen issues on the Pixel 2 XL, since they are apparently so widespread. I have an order in for one November end and I really don't want a defective LG display. I am very close to cancelling the order.
    Perhaps they will make a statement in time, when they have more of an idea of how to combat the issue.
    Pinhead117 likes this.
    10-24-2017 11:53 AM
    I sure hope so, I really want this phone, coming off the Pixel XL.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-24-2017 12:01 PM
    What SO many people are missing on this issue is that there is huge variability with the blue tint. Some aren't too bad, others are really horrible. People need to stop assuming that since their phone is ok, everyone else is complaining too much.
    I can see your point.

The opposite phenomenon is in effect too though. People who have an issue that bothers them also need to stop assuming that because it does bother them, it bothers everyone. Most people view their phones straight on, so many don't care about off axis viewing or resulting blue tint. Others do care, or have other use cases (leave it on a desk at work while working, etc) where it would bother them. IMO the blue tint thing seems use case related more than anything, but I will know more tomorrow when mine arrives :-)
    TornadoRed and Pinhead117 like this.
    10-24-2017 12:12 PM
    Looking forward to your report! Hoping you get a good one.
    dsignori and Morty2264 like this.
    10-24-2017 12:33 PM
    So I can't believe this phone manufacturer hasn't yet addressed the issue if their premier flagship having a blue tint afflicting their panels when viewed at angles (that people generally won't view them from)!

Seriously, how can a phone sell for this much and still have this blue tint issue? I mean, with the phone being the 7th iteration you'd think they'd have this figured out by now!

Wait, did I say 7th? Yes, I did.

Everyone complaining that the Pixel 2 XL shifts blue at an angle should be complaining to Samsung as well, about the Note 8 (and pretty much every other phone with an OLED panel as well)... Check this side-by-side comparison of the Pixel 2 XL and the Note 8, at 3:07 into the following video...

Is the Pixel's tonal shift more pronounced? Perhaps so, but the Note 8 clearly suffers from the exact same blue coloration, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. The question becomes, why are people assigning an arbitrary threshold at which they feel it's ok to find it completely unacceptable, while not even raising a visibly comparable issue on a screen often cited as the "best screen ever"? Thee answer, imho: social media and clickbait journalism at its "finest."

Edit - this was meant only as a commentary regarding the blue shift. I'm in total agreement that any fast burn-in issues are absolutely worthy of investigation and action, though I haven't had any discernable burn-in on mine despite very heavy use so far, having received it on October 19.
    10-24-2017 10:50 PM
    Is the Pixel's tonal shift more pronounced? Perhaps so, but the Note 8 clearly suffers from the exact same blue coloration, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. The question becomes, why are people assigning an arbitrary threshold at which they feel it's ok to find it completely unacceptable, while not even raising a visibly comparable issue on a screen often cited as the "best screen ever"? Thee answer, imho: social media and clickbait journalism at its "finest."
    Again, you're missing the point.... the blue shift isn't that bad on some phones. But on many, it's REALLY bad. Much, much worse than previous phones, and much worse than the video you shared. So comparisons like this are moot.
    Google doesn't need defending. Your fellow consumers would probably appreciate a little solidarity so Google gets this addressed quickly and none of us need to deal with this going forward.
    Hopefully these problems were related to early batches with bad QC and the situation improves.
    10-25-2017 05:56 AM
    I think the blue tint is generally the same on all units. I think it's people's sensitivity to the subject that comes in to play in whether it's an issue or not. I saw one at Verizon and yeah.. Its a bluish screen as opposed to yellow on some phones..especially when you tilt it. It just doesn't bother me. The people that it does bother gets themselves worked up when others bring it up on the internet. Mine will be hear by weeks end and the only thing that would bother me would be an image that stayed on the screen constantly. It doesn't seem to be the case right now though.
    10-25-2017 06:40 AM
    I think the blue tint is generally the same on all units. I think it's people's sensitivity to the subject that comes in to play in whether it's an issue or not. I saw one at Verizon and yeah.. Its a bluish screen as opposed to yellow on some phones..especially when you tilt it. It just doesn't bother me. The people that it does bother gets themselves worked up when others bring it up on the internet. Mine will be hear by weeks end and the only thing that would bother me would be an image that stayed on the screen constantly. It doesn't seem to be the case right now though.
    It's not the same on all units.
    TornadoRed likes this.
    10-25-2017 07:03 AM
65 123