10-25-2017 04:48 PM
65 123
tools
    It's not the same on all units.
    Doesn't bother me and many others.
    10-25-2017 07:09 AM
    Doesn't bother me and many others.
    You obviously haven't seen one of the bad ones. I really hope you get a good one, and that units shipping now are better. However... At best, blaming a clear defect on people's "sensitivity" is only making the situation worse by confusing potential buyers. At worst, it's a terrible case of fanboy-ism.
    erojas388 and AnnDroid like this.
    10-25-2017 07:43 AM
    You obviously haven't seen one of the bad ones. I really hope you get a good one, and that units shipping now are better. However... At best, blaming a clear defect on people's "sensitivity" is only making the situation worse by confusing potential buyers. At worst, it's a terrible case of fanboy-ism.
    There are variety reasons for the blue shift being reported as tolerable or intolerable. There are also reasons why color shift is less noticeable on other brands. There is a lot of speculation and panic going around. The bottom line is nothing changes till it changes and we hear from Google on what the issues and solutions are.
    10-25-2017 08:02 AM
    The phone hasn't even been released for a week. But you're saying there is huge variability between all these screens like you've seen 20-30-40 of them.

I'm not defending Google, but how do you know there's such crazy variability? If you're watching videos on YouTube, or websites, how do you know the cameras they're recording with aren't pronouncing the effect more?
    10-25-2017 08:02 AM
    I have 2 p2xl's coming to me. A 128gb one will be here tomorrow and a 64gb one will be here by next week. I'm going to look at both very carefully and see if there's a difference and if there is, I'm going to keep the better one, obviously. I'm actually hoping there is no difference as that would be awfully disconcerting and I'd like to think Google would be better than that. I'm still super excited to get the phone and will definitely report back
    Pinhead117 and TornadoRed like this.
    10-25-2017 08:05 AM
    I don't think saying some people are more sensitive to a blue hue is false at all. Some will buy this phone and NEVER notice anything off if they haven't read these boards.. Get it?? Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't label me as you don't know me.. But I guess that's typical non face to face internet talk.
    I'd advise anyone go see or use the device as a way of making their decisions and not from you or me telling them potentially wrong information.
    dsignori and erojas388 like this.
    10-25-2017 08:10 AM
    The phone hasn't even been released for a week. But you're saying there is huge variability between all these screens like you've seen 20-30-40 of them.

I'm not defending Google, but how do you know there's such crazy variability? If you're watching videos on YouTube, or websites, how do you know the cameras they're recording with aren't pronouncing the effect more?
    Exactly
    10-25-2017 08:11 AM
    Again, you're missing the point.... the blue shift isn't that bad on some phones. But on many, it's REALLY bad. Much, much worse than previous phones, and much worse than the video you shared. So comparisons like this are moot.
    Google doesn't need defending. Your fellow consumers would probably appreciate a little solidarity so Google gets this addressed quickly and none of us need to deal with this going forward.
    Hopefully these problems were related to early batches with bad QC and the situation improves.
    Your asserting that there is substantial variance doesn't make it a fact any more than my saying that there isn't. So without further verifiable comparative evidence, which we won't have for some time, let's look at a few things which absolutely will add to the impression there is a great variance - variables in settings, content, and ambience. What is the maximum number of Pixel 2 XL's you have seen at the same time, with the same screen settings, showing the same image/content, under the same lighting? To be statistically significant, suffice it to say that 2, 3, 4 units wouldn't be remotely sufficient.

Looking at videos on youtube, here are just a few factors that you need to consider in that any of the following can temper your perception:

1. Vivid mode on/off
    2. Auto-brightness on/off, or what is manual brightness level
    3. How bright is the ambient light in the room
    4. What is the color temperature of the light in the room
    5. What colors are the walls/other items that might exacerbate or diminish the degree to which the blue appears
    6. Accuracy of camera being used to record video

Variability in any one of those will change the perception.
    10-25-2017 09:11 AM
    good stuff
    QFT
    10-25-2017 10:41 AM
    I just got my pixel 2 Xl today the screen certainly does have a blueish tint when turned but I really don't find it that bothersome but the screen burn in is a big issue we will see how the future holds on my pixel.
    10-25-2017 01:57 PM
    I wouldn't use jerryrig for anything really. His tests are in no way anything close to reality. I have the phone and it's fine. The WiFi is great. The reception is better than my 6P which I'm upgrading from. The battery life is great. I've been averaging over 5hrs of SoT.
    Yep, I'm a big dude and I left my Nexus 6p in my back pocket all the time...it's still not bent.
    10-25-2017 03:16 PM
    I've had my Pixel 2 XL for a few days now and haven't noticed a single issue with the screen. I've checked repeatedly for the blue/green tint and graininess, but can't see anything. Now maybe I'm lucky and got the one device that is fine, or it's been fixed.

Can't comment on the screen burn-in. Will start checking that next week.
    TornadoRed likes this.
    10-25-2017 03:46 PM
    I don't think saying some people are more sensitive to a blue hue is false at all. Some will buy this phone and NEVER notice anything off if they haven't read these boards.. Get it?? Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't label me as you don't know me.. But I guess that's typical non face to face internet talk.
    I'd advise anyone go see or use the device as a way of making their decisions and not from you or me telling them potentially wrong information.
    I meant no personal offense, nor did I intend my message to come off as labeling you specifically. My apologies. I completely agree that some people will never notice, just like some people will receive phones without issues. I'm sure many people will be happy to buy one and see what they get. I think a lot of other people have been burned in the past and don't want to play the lotto.

...how do you know there's such crazy variability? If you're watching videos on YouTube, or websites, how do you know the cameras they're recording with aren't pronouncing the effect more?
    Your asserting that there is substantial variance doesn't make it a fact any more than my saying that there isn't. So without further verifiable comparative evidence, which we won't have for some time, let's look at a few things which absolutely will add to the impression there is a great variance - variables in settings, content, and ambience. What is the maximum number of Pixel 2 XL's you have seen at the same time, with the same screen settings, showing the same image/content, under the same lighting? To be statistically significant, suffice it to say that 2, 3, 4 units wouldn't be remotely sufficient.
    You don't need a large population to understand the range of variance. Let's say we label the issue on a severity scale of 1 to 10. If you look at three phones and assign them a score of 2, 8, and 9 - then you have a very large variance. A large population would only help you determine how many units fall into each area of the scale. Granted, personal preference/bias/etc will play into it. But you get the idea.

To put it another way... You only need to see a few of them to understand the range from "eh, it's not that bad" to "holy crap, what's wrong with this thing??" I have used a few of them. One was basically acceptable (if you ignore the price). Two were horrible.

Regardless of how big the issue is, I think we all agree that Google needs to get their act together and at least communicate with us. Or give these reps reliable info for people who inquire. We still have no idea if the responses from these reps are legit.
    10-25-2017 03:52 PM
    It's worth remembering that there are three things going on here. One is that the screen has a blue tint at an angle and crushes shadow details at low brightness, which is inherent to the current design; either you're cool with it or you're not but it's unlikely to change. Two is all the stuff with burn-in, ghosting, and banding/blotching- not everyone has those issues, so they're presumably defects in individual units, which should be correctable with better quality control. Three is the color balance, which is purely a software choice on Google's part and can be updated at any time even on existing units.

Not staking out a pro- or anti- 2XL stance here, just saying there's a lot getting muddled together in the hubbub.
    TornadoRed and KWKSLVR like this.
    10-25-2017 04:33 PM
    I've had my Pixel 2 XL for a few days now and haven't noticed a single issue with the screen. I've checked repeatedly for the blue/green tint and graininess, but can't see anything. Now maybe I'm lucky and got the one device that is fine, or it's been fixed.

Can't comment on the screen burn-in. Will start checking that next week.
    Not even a little blue tint at an angle? Mine goes blue at just the tiniest bit from straight on.
    10-25-2017 04:48 PM
65 123