P2XL screens already fixed?

TornadoRed

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The way I figure it is I don't mind the blue tint off-angle because... well, I don't go to the effort to look at my phone at a weird angle. Screen burn-in, though, that's a concern.

Good news is, for those of us who have already (or do in the near future) received ones that exhibit these, if they make a change for future production to correct for it, it's a tacit admission of a flaw with the early units, and clear grounds for a warranty exchange.

Haha, apparently a lot of people like to look at their phones with all kinds of weird angles. Been using my 2 XL since last Thursday. Yes it does have a blue tint, but I haven't really noticed it. Why? Because I look at my phone straight on.

Then you're some of the lucky ones who got a decent screen. What SO many people are missing on this issue is that there is huge variability with the blue tint. Some aren't too bad, others are really horrible. People need to stop assuming that since their phone is ok, everyone else is complaining too much.

Hopefully the blue tint was only an issue with the early phones and really is being addressed, as the reps said. But being that it's clearly a hardware issue, I'm not sure if it could be addressed that quickly. I guess we need to wait and see if the issue clears up as more phones get to users.

Pinhead117

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I would like Google to issue a direct statement regarding the screen issues on the Pixel 2 XL, since they are apparently so widespread. I have an order in for one November end and I really don't want a defective LG display. I am very close to cancelling the order.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would like Google to issue a direct statement regarding the screen issues on the Pixel 2 XL, since they are apparently so widespread. I have an order in for one November end and I really don't want a defective LG display. I am very close to cancelling the order.

Perhaps they will make a statement in time, when they have more of an idea of how to combat the issue.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
What SO many people are missing on this issue is that there is huge variability with the blue tint. Some aren't too bad, others are really horrible. People need to stop assuming that since their phone is ok, everyone else is complaining too much.

I can see your point.

The opposite phenomenon is in effect too though. People who have an issue that bothers them also need to stop assuming that because it does bother them, it bothers everyone. Most people view their phones straight on, so many don't care about off axis viewing or resulting blue tint. Others do care, or have other use cases (leave it on a desk at work while working, etc) where it would bother them. IMO the blue tint thing seems use case related more than anything, but I will know more tomorrow when mine arrives :)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I can't believe this phone manufacturer hasn't yet addressed the issue if their premier flagship having a blue tint afflicting their panels when viewed at angles (that people generally won't view them from)!

Seriously, how can a phone sell for this much and still have this blue tint issue? I mean, with the phone being the 7th iteration you'd think they'd have this figured out by now!

Wait, did I say 7th? Yes, I did.

Everyone complaining that the Pixel 2 XL shifts blue at an angle should be complaining to Samsung as well, about the Note 8 (and pretty much every other phone with an OLED panel as well)... Check this side-by-side comparison of the Pixel 2 XL and the Note 8, at 3:07 into the following video...

Is the Pixel's tonal shift more pronounced? Perhaps so, but the Note 8 clearly suffers from the exact same blue coloration, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. The question becomes, why are people assigning an arbitrary threshold at which they feel it's ok to find it completely unacceptable, while not even raising a visibly comparable issue on a screen often cited as the "best screen ever"? Thee answer, imho: social media and clickbait journalism at its "finest."

Edit - this was meant only as a commentary regarding the blue shift. I'm in total agreement that any fast burn-in issues are absolutely worthy of investigation and action, though I haven't had any discernable burn-in on mine despite very heavy use so far, having received it on October 19.

TornadoRed

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is the Pixel's tonal shift more pronounced? Perhaps so, but the Note 8 clearly suffers from the exact same blue coloration, albeit to a slightly lesser degree. The question becomes, why are people assigning an arbitrary threshold at which they feel it's ok to find it completely unacceptable, while not even raising a visibly comparable issue on a screen often cited as the "best screen ever"? Thee answer, imho: social media and clickbait journalism at its "finest."

Again, you're missing the point.... the blue shift isn't that bad on some phones. But on many, it's REALLY bad. Much, much worse than previous phones, and much worse than the video you shared. So comparisons like this are moot.
Google doesn't need defending. Your fellow consumers would probably appreciate a little solidarity so Google gets this addressed quickly and none of us need to deal with this going forward.
Hopefully these problems were related to early batches with bad QC and the situation improves.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I think the blue tint is generally the same on all units. I think it's people's sensitivity to the subject that comes in to play in whether it's an issue or not. I saw one at Verizon and yeah.. Its a bluish screen as opposed to yellow on some phones..especially when you tilt it. It just doesn't bother me. The people that it does bother gets themselves worked up when others bring it up on the internet. Mine will be hear by weeks end and the only thing that would bother me would be an image that stayed on the screen constantly. It doesn't seem to be the case right now though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the blue tint is generally the same on all units. I think it's people's sensitivity to the subject that comes in to play in whether it's an issue or not. I saw one at Verizon and yeah.. Its a bluish screen as opposed to yellow on some phones..especially when you tilt it. It just doesn't bother me. The people that it does bother gets themselves worked up when others bring it up on the internet. Mine will be hear by weeks end and the only thing that would bother me would be an image that stayed on the screen constantly. It doesn't seem to be the case right now though.

It's not the same on all units.

TornadoRed

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't bother me and many others.

You obviously haven't seen one of the bad ones. I really hope you get a good one, and that units shipping now are better. However... At best, blaming a clear defect on people's "sensitivity" is only making the situation worse by confusing potential buyers. At worst, it's a terrible case of fanboy-ism.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You obviously haven't seen one of the bad ones. I really hope you get a good one, and that units shipping now are better. However... At best, blaming a clear defect on people's "sensitivity" is only making the situation worse by confusing potential buyers. At worst, it's a terrible case of fanboy-ism.

There are variety reasons for the blue shift being reported as tolerable or intolerable. There are also reasons why color shift is less noticeable on other brands. There is a lot of speculation and panic going around. The bottom line is nothing changes till it changes and we hear from Google on what the issues and solutions are.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

The phone hasn't even been released for a week. But you're saying there is huge variability between all these screens like you've seen 20-30-40 of them.

I'm not defending Google, but how do you know there's such crazy variability? If you're watching videos on YouTube, or websites, how do you know the cameras they're recording with aren't pronouncing the effect more?

bkrickles

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 p2xl's coming to me. A 128gb one will be here tomorrow and a 64gb one will be here by next week. I'm going to look at both very carefully and see if there's a difference and if there is, I'm going to keep the better one, obviously. I'm actually hoping there is no difference as that would be awfully disconcerting and I'd like to think Google would be better than that. I'm still super excited to get the phone and will definitely report back

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site

I don't think saying some people are more sensitive to a blue hue is false at all. Some will buy this phone and NEVER notice anything off if they haven't read these boards.. Get it?? Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't label me as you don't know me.. But I guess that's typical non face to face internet talk.
I'd advise anyone go see or use the device as a way of making their decisions and not from you or me telling them potentially wrong information.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
The phone hasn't even been released for a week. But you're saying there is huge variability between all these screens like you've seen 20-30-40 of them.

I'm not defending Google, but how do you know there's such crazy variability? If you're watching videos on YouTube, or websites, how do you know the cameras they're recording with aren't pronouncing the effect more?

Exactly

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Again, you're missing the point.... the blue shift isn't that bad on some phones. But on many, it's REALLY bad. Much, much worse than previous phones, and much worse than the video you shared. So comparisons like this are moot.
Google doesn't need defending. Your fellow consumers would probably appreciate a little solidarity so Google gets this addressed quickly and none of us need to deal with this going forward.
Hopefully these problems were related to early batches with bad QC and the situation improves.

Your asserting that there is substantial variance doesn't make it a fact any more than my saying that there isn't. So without further verifiable comparative evidence, which we won't have for some time, let's look at a few things which absolutely will add to the impression there is a great variance - variables in settings, content, and ambience. What is the maximum number of Pixel 2 XL's you have seen at the same time, with the same screen settings, showing the same image/content, under the same lighting? To be statistically significant, suffice it to say that 2, 3, 4 units wouldn't be remotely sufficient.

Looking at videos on youtube, here are just a few factors that you need to consider in that any of the following can temper your perception:

1. Vivid mode on/off
  2. Auto-brightness on/off, or what is manual brightness level
  3. How bright is the ambient light in the room
  4. What is the color temperature of the light in the room
  5. What colors are the walls/other items that might exacerbate or diminish the degree to which the blue appears
  6. Accuracy of camera being used to record video

Variability in any one of those will change the perception.

ncfanboy

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just got my pixel 2 Xl today the screen certainly does have a blueish tint when turned but I really don't find it that bothersome but the screen burn in is a big issue we will see how the future holds on my pixel.