1. Since it is a known fact that color saturation is generally less on the 2XL, how can pictures taken with it appear great? I don't get it.

2. If I decide to edit a picture by increasing color saturation, then upload it on social media. Would the pic look even more saturated as viewed on all the other already more color-saturated devices (iPhones, Samsung, Laptops- essentially everything not Pixel 2XL)?
    10-23-2017 02:05 AM
    I do not have my Pixel yet, but I do have my last device set to sRGB, which brings my Nexus 6P close to the color reproduction on the Pixel 2 screens. Based on that...

1. Since it is a known fact that color saturation is generally less on the 2XL, how can pictures taken with it appear great? I don't get it.
    The colors that appear on photos would be closer to how the photos would actually look on most monitors and when you print them.

2. If I decide to edit a picture by increasing color saturation, then upload it on social media. Would the pic look even more saturated as viewed on all the other already more color-saturated devices (iPhones, Samsung, Laptops- essentially everything not Pixel 2XL)?
    Since most monitors are sRGB, and the web follows sRGB, if you increase saturation on photos taken by a Pixel just because it looks "dull" to your eyes on the Pixel 2XL, you risk making the photos you post over-saturated when viewed on the web on something that isn't an OLED smartphone.

That's the main reason why I changed my 6P's setting to sRGB. It helped me judge photos I took better than if I retained the default high saturation color setting of the 6P.
    Jeremiah Bonds, yujinn and Jonneh like this.
    10-23-2017 02:21 AM
    So since the screen is sRGB, does it mean pictures you take will have the same sRGB color limitation when viewed on the screen? For example, different shades of green of a forest picture will show less range of greens than in real life?
    10-25-2017 07:20 AM

Saturation is correct...not low. Look at a highly saturated image and it will be highly saturated. Interface graphics are typically rendered dull to accommodate over saturated displays. I read that since so many are whining, Google might add a p3 mode, which would bring on the higher saturated look, while preserving detail and range.
    10-25-2017 08:46 AM
    So since the screen is sRGB, does it mean pictures you take will have the same sRGB color limitation when viewed on the screen? For example, different shades of green of a forest picture will show less range of greens than in real life?
    Not a limitation... And now range... Not less. Over saturated phones clip values, where the pixel 2 shows them. Looks almost identical to my 100% Adobe RGB display.
    10-25-2017 08:47 AM