Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

10-27-2017 12:54 PM
45 12
tools
    In general, Android over does the notifications and I find Apple's approach better. I don't want to be told about everything happening behind the scenes, I want my 'smartphone' to handle it without telling me. I typically blank out much of what's on the status bar with systemUItuner anyway.

Anyway, Oreo seems to have taken several steps back with these super annoying persistent notifications!!! I don't need a notification to be there all the time that I cannot dismiss that says my phone is charging (I know, because I plugged it in!), or that something is running in the background (who cares?).

I found the one hack to remove the running in background notification, but I still get all the other annoying ones including every time I plug into my car for charging.

Anyway to deal with these? Anyone else feel this pain?
    10-23-2017 12:27 PM
    I don't need a notification to be there all the time that I cannot dismiss that says my phone is charging (I know, because I plugged it in!), or that something is running in the background (who cares?).
    I actually find that notification to be useful. If it's not there, then I know that something is wrong with my set up, whether it's the cables, the charging block, or the phone itself.
    10-23-2017 12:31 PM
    I actually find that notification to be useful. If it's not there, then I know that something is wrong with my set up, whether it's the cables, the charging block, or the phone itself.
    When you plug your phone in, the battery icon changes and the thunder bolt icon in the battery indicates if phone is charging. There is absolutely no need for a redundant and persistent notification.
    10-23-2017 12:33 PM
    I don't have a notification telling me the phone is charging. Only one I really don't like is a device is casting, but it can be swiped away so no biggie.
    10-23-2017 12:36 PM
    I've never had a notification for charging either
    10-23-2017 12:44 PM
    I don't have a charging notification either. You mentioned that you see it when you're charging in your car... Is it maybe a notification to let you know that you're not fast charging?
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-23-2017 12:49 PM
    Is the charger plugged into a USB port on the car or via the AC/DC converter? Reason I ask is, if it is a USB port, it may be something capable of transmitting data, in which case your notification is letting you choose between charging, data transfer, etc.
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-23-2017 12:51 PM
    It's the USB debugging / charging icon. My car's USB port provides both data and power so phone is being over eager and telling me it's charging.

I used that as an example. I find there are too many persistent notifications in general. Wanted to see if anyone has found a way to quiet down persistent notifications.
    I will have to see how they are in O. I personally can't stand Apple's notifications. I don't like having to go into a panel just to see them -- I prefer the icons at the top left.
    Jonneh likes this.
    When you plug your phone in, the battery icon changes and the thunder bolt icon in the battery indicates if phone is charging. There is absolutely no need for a redundant and persistent notification.
    Right. But after you plug in and start charging, your cord might still come loose or fail after the screen is dark and you're away from the phone. That's when the notification on the screen comes in handy.
    10-23-2017 12:57 PM
    I will have to see how they are in O. I personally can't stand Apple's notifications. I don't like having to go into a panel just to see them -- I prefer the icons at the top left.
    That's one of things that drove me away from iOS and my 6s Plus. That damn notification system.
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-23-2017 12:58 PM
    Right. But after you plug in and start charging, your cord might still come loose or fail after the screen is dark and you're away from the phone. That's when the notification on the screen comes in handy.
    If your screen is off or you have stepped away the persistent notification does you no good anyway.
    10-23-2017 01:02 PM
    It's the USB debugging / charging icon. My car's USB port provides both data and power so phone is being over eager and telling me it's charging.

I used that as an example. I find there are too many persistent notifications in general. Wanted to see if anyone has found a way to quiet down persistent notifications.
    Some notifications can be turned off. When you see a notification you don't like, try sliding it over half way and hit the settings cog. Sometimes it will let you completely turn the notification off.
    Jonneh and Aquila like this.
    10-23-2017 01:05 PM
    Some notifications can be turned off. When you see a notification you don't like, try sliding it over half way and hit the settings cog. Sometimes it will let you completely turn the notification off.
    Yes already tried that. But 'persistent' notifications cannot be turned off trough that method. Which is why there is a hack available. I was wondering if there were other options.

Looks like I may be the only one complaining. Seems everyone likes to be notified about everything!
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-23-2017 01:18 PM
    In general, Android over does the notifications and I find Apple's approach better. I don't want to be told about everything happening behind the scenes, I want my 'smartphone' to handle it without telling me. I typically blank out much of what's on the status bar with systemUItuner anyway.

Anyway, Oreo seems to have taken several steps back with these super annoying persistent notifications!!! I don't need a notification to be there all the time that I cannot dismiss that says my phone is charging (I know, because I plugged it in!), or that something is running in the background (who cares?).

I found the one hack to remove the running in background notification, but I still get all the other annoying ones including every time I plug into my car for charging.

Anyway to deal with these? Anyone else feel this pain?
    OK, that is one really odd, downright strange complaint.

We're all different, and there's plenty of room for everyone,but I have to say your complaint is a new one for me.

If this is a deal breaker for you I suppose you'll have to go back to Apple.

Personally I find the granularity of control over notification in Oreo to be nothing short of fantastic.
    Aquila likes this.
    10-23-2017 01:21 PM
    Never seen a charging notification. Only if you plug into a PC...and the notification is to switch what plugging it in does.
    10-23-2017 01:24 PM
    Yes already tried that. But 'persistent' notifications cannot be turned off trough that method. Which is why there is a hack available. I was wondering if there were other options.

Looks like I may be the only one complaining. Seems everyone likes to be notified about everything!
    Some persistent notifications can be turned off. I'm not new to Android...
    10-23-2017 01:25 PM
    On my non-Pixel phone I find that notification most useful in determining whether I'm rapid charging, charging, or slow charging. (Stupid micro-usb connectors...)
    10-23-2017 01:36 PM
    The only notification that annoys me is Sonos and I honestly don't care that much.

I prefer a system where I get over notified and I can go turn them off (or down) as opposed to iOS where notifications disappear, never to be seen again.
    Jonneh likes this.
    10-23-2017 01:38 PM
    Use this to get rid of them. Works the balls!
    Gets rid of: This so and so is using battery and This VPN is running and so on.
    Attached Thumbnails OMG the annoying persistent notifications. What a step back Google.-5521.jpg  
    10-23-2017 01:43 PM
    You'll only get the charging notification when the phone is plugged into a PC or attached to some other device, via the USB cable.

If you tap the notification, it then pops up a window asking what you want to do with the USB connection....

- Charge this device (which is the default)

- Supply power (if you want the phone to supply power to whatever's at the other end of the USB cable, such as for letting your phone charge another phone)

- Transfer files (selecting this then lets you browse the file system using PC's file browser. Selecting it is basically telling the device that whatever's connected to its USB, you're granting it permission to access the device's file system)

- Transfer photos

- Use device as MIDI
    10-23-2017 05:14 PM
    Just found another annoying persistent notification - "Whatsapp web is currently active" Who cares? I know it is, because I activated it!

Waiting for all of you to tell me how useful this notification is to your lives.
    10-24-2017 03:05 PM
    Just found another annoying persistent notification - "Whatsapp web is currently active" Who cares? I know it is, because I activated it!

Waiting for all of you to tell me how useful this notification is to your lives.
    I've never seen that notification, so it's not useful to me. I can tell you all about how much I don't care about it.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssss ¯\_______________(ツ)_______________/¯ much!
    nelamvr6 likes this.
    10-24-2017 03:17 PM

That was introduced by WhatsApp a while ago and I kind of understand the logic behind this persistent notification: safety and privacy. It reminds you that you have a session opened on a different device.

It can be a bit annoying and I think your best options are getting in touch with WhatsApp support or installing an Xposed module that, apparently, lets you remove this notification.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-24-2017 03:28 PM
    So, which is better? Having occasional benign notifications or not knowing that a melicious app is running in the background?
    10-24-2017 03:28 PM
45 12