Am I in the minority?

Coug

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded from s7edge with google now to P2 XL from Verizon.

I see the news and threads about screen problems, burn-in, etc, but I do not notice any of these and I have looked for them. In fact, this phone is everything I expected and more. My spouse tried it and finally said she is tired of her iphone 7 and wants to come back to android. My screen looks great, and I find I am using the integrated google assistant more than I thought. Enough that we went out and bought a google home. Some positive vibes for this Tuesday!

stevedoz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I see the news and threads about screen problems, burn-in, etc, but I do not notice any of these and I have looked for them. In fact, this phone is everything I expected and more. My spouse tried it and finally said she is tired of her iphone 7 and wants to come back to android. My screen looks great, and I find I am using the integrated google assistant more than I thought. Enough that we went out and bought a google home. Some positive vibes for this Tuesday!

Glad you are enjoying it. Some of the Youtube reviewers have said they havent noticed any screen issues apart from the blue tint which doesnt seem to be very relevant for many.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I think my phone is fine. I don't have any issues with it. Maybe it's more fun for people if they have something to complain about, or maybe there are people who just want to latch onto anything they can to bring down this phone since they think theirs is better.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I am sure there are many happy users. As we all know, people who have issues post more on forums than those who are happy, so it is sometimes hard to tell the scale of certain "issues" at times. Glad you are enjoying your phone. Mine comes tomorrow and I will be enjoying mine very much (I hope!).

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Dull screen, blue-tint, burn-in, clicks and whines...while some of these issues are legitimate problems, I wonder at what point does being too picky about a phone become a detriment to the whole experience.

I'm guilty of getting caught up in wanting my things to be perfect and/or keeping my stuff looking brand new but find that this can sometimes limit fun, enjoyment and experiences. A great example is the new car I just bought. With my old car, I'd throw a couple of dirty mountain bikes on the rack and all the stinky gear in the trunk. Or load up my 3 dogs for a park day. With the new car, none of that's happened yet - using my gf's car for all that :) - but I'm going to have to sooner or later or miss out on significant amounts of fun. Same with my bike. When I first got it, I was fairly careful with it but now I just say f*ck-it and just bomb that thing down whatever seems fun.

It's not that I would be satisfied with a defective product or abuse everything I buy. It's just that maybe it's better to step back and ask if these imperfections are worth the anguish and never-ending search for the perfect product (which doesn't exist, btw).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

I don't think you're in the minority at all. The majority of people who actually buy the phone, bought it for what it's best at ... function over form. The hardware isn't the Pixel's strongest selling point, but the software and best in class camera is where it really shines.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Dull screen, blue-tint, burn-in, clicks and whines...while some of these issues are legitimate problems, I wonder at what point does being too picky about a phone become a detriment to the whole experience.

I'm guilty of getting caught up in wanting my things to be perfect and/or keeping my stuff looking brand new but find that this can sometimes limit fun, enjoyment and experiences. A great example is the new car I just bought. With my old car, I'd throw a couple of dirty mountain bikes on the rack and all the stinky gear in the trunk. Or load up my 3 dogs for a park day. With the new car, none of that's happened yet - using my gf's car for all that :) - but I'm going to have to sooner or later or miss out on significant amounts of fun. Same with my bike. When I first got it, I was fairly careful with it but now I just say f*ck-it and just bomb that thing down whatever seems fun.

It's not that I would be satisfied with a defective product or abuse everything I buy. It's just that maybe it's better to step back and ask if these imperfections are worth the anguish and never-ending search for the perfect product (which doesn't exist, btw).

Love this. Very good point!

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The blue tint thing doesn't bother me, from what I saw on the display model. I intend to upgrade by Christmas and will either get the 2 XL or the Moto Z2 Force (tempting with the $300 off Best Buy deal.) Both have POLED screens and it looks like that is how the technology works, at least at this stage.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I may need to retire from forums after this release lol

I wonder how many of these so called experts/bloggers would have commented on the issues had they not previously known about them.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how many of these so called experts/bloggers would have commented on the issues had they not previously known about them.

Yeah, that is the thing, right? If you didn't know you had a problem until someone told you that you did, and then you looked for it, was the problem actually a problem for you?

It's like the ole' "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?" thing IMO. Bottom line is if I notice it in NORMAL use, it's a problem. If I don't , it's not. For me there is nothing else to say :)

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
And if Apple were the ones having the blue tint issue, you guys would be having a field day raking them over the coals and yelling that anyone who was willing to give them a pass were iSheeple. SMDH.

It’s a real issue that a flagship phone has a demonstrable issue in as widespread a fashion as the 2XL’s screen. Whether or not that bothers *you* is secondary. Crap QC. Luckily, Android is really all about the software because its hardware, even the most expensive of the bunch, is junk.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It’s a real issue
Well we don't know that. Is it IR? We don't know. Is there burn in? We don't know. Does what you're seeing on the screen (or not seeing) actually bother YOU? If so, don't buy it. If not, then it's not an issue FOR YOU.

No one is apologizing for anything. What I am also not doing it making conclusions before I have all the facts. It's a hard thing to do in the forums and with the massive tech echo chamber, but it's important to at least attempt to filter FUD from facts...

Here is a recent reviewer who doesn't see it, though he talks intelligently and thoroughly about the screen "issues" at around 8:30 of the video

https://youtu.be/KvNis_A6UaI?t=510

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
And if Apple were the ones having the blue tint issue, you guys would be having a field day raking them over the coals and yelling that anyone who was willing to give them a pass were iSheeple. SMDH.

It’s a real issue that a flagship phone has a demonstrable issue in as widespread a fashion as the 2XL’s screen. Whether or not that bothers *you* is secondary. Crap QC. Luckily, Android is really all about the software because its hardware, even the most expensive of the bunch, is junk.

I don't know if that's a fair comparison... Apple sells 200 million phones annually and consider themselves "pioneers" in the Mobile phone market. They've been selling phones for a decade and have had their missteps along the way as well. Google won't sell 10 million phones. It's still early for them.

I don't think anyone in this forum is giving a Google a pass or anything like that. people spend a lot of money on these phones, so some careful thought is required with a buying decision like that.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I was thoroughly enjoying my Pixel XL 2 until yesterday. Within a few hours, my swipe down gesture stopped working and my Bluetooth connection started dropping every time I touched the phone. Taken in combination with the blue hue (which wasn't bothering me), burn-in (which I wasn't experiencing), and now the ticking sound being reported (which I also wasn't experiencing), it just seems like there's an underlying quality control issue at play here. At this point I'm returning my Pixel XL 2 and going into a holding pattern with my S7 Edge until all of this plays out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC