How to preserve the longevity of the battery?

Allen Kong

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I'm getting my Pixel 2 XL today and was wondering do I need to charge it up completely before using it? And are there any tricks as to how to keep the battery in good health (ex. only charge when its drain down, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
My Pixel 2XL is coming this week. I don't think you have to charge it up completely but someone who has it can tell you.

In regards to saving battery life
-swap the animated background wallpaper for a static one..
-Having a black or dark background will save more juice over any other background
-you can turn off the always display and music
-use low brightness settings
-trim/close any apps running in the background
-uninstall apps you never use
-put it in airplane mode occasionally
-turn off unnecessary hardware radios like NFC, GPS bluetooth, mode until you need it
-update apps
-when in doubt, you can put your phone on battery saver also

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My Pixel 2XL is coming this week. I don't think you have to charge it up completely but someone who has it can tell you.

-Having a black or dark background will save more juice over any other background
-uninstall apps you never use
-turn off unnecessary hardware radios like NFC, GPS bluetooth, mode until you need it
-update apps
-when in doubt, you can put your phone on battery saver also

I don't think you'll really have to do anything special to get monster battery life out of your XL.

Sure, you will reduce power consumption, but you'll reduce some of the phone's utility also by turning off some of the nifty features.

I run a live wallpaper, have ambient display and now playing turned on, and I have plenty of juice left when I plug in again at the end of the day.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, I used to care a lot about this, but I change my phone once a year now so I really don't own them long enough to have to worry about losing charges. If you are like me and change your phone yearly, you shouldn't worry too much about it.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Don't do any of this. Enjoy your phone the way you want.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Best way to save battery and enjoy the phone

Turn off GPS and location services
Turn off Mobile data
Use on wifi
set display to 30%
Set display timeout to 15 seconds
Only use the phone when you need to

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Best way to save battery and enjoy the phone

Turn off GPS and location services
Turn off Mobile data
Use on wifi
set display to 30%
Set display timeout to 15 seconds
Only use the phone when you need to

Turn it off
Put it in a drawer

I bought this phone so I could enjoy it. Why turn everything that's useful or fun off when the thing has a huge battery?

Use it, enjoy it. See how long your battery lasts before you start making plans to run it like it's a flip phone...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either way, Jeremiah, if the battery goes bad, the charge-to-charge time will be very short too.

But draining a battery below 40% will hasten its going bad. Lithium batteries are not deep discharge batteries.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Most important, don't go below 30% and don't charge over 80% my Pixel XL has only lost about 5% in a year with heavy daily use. Even going to screen shot the Battery Health from AccuBattery when I sell it.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how aggressively you want to manage your battery. Best to keep the phone charged between 20-80%. Apps like AccuBattery will tell you when you've charged to target level. If you change phones every year, don't worry about it. If you keep the phone 2+ years, consider more aggressive management.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome