Bluetooth issue with Gear S2

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
All of a sudden tonight my Pixel 2 XL will no longer connect via bluetooth with my Samsung Gear S2 watch. It was working fine since I got the phone Sunday. I can still connect to my Pioneer car stereo so I know bluetooth still works. No new updates, apps installed or any settings changed. Anyone else have any BT issues with their phone?

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Did that. Actually I narrowed it down to the Tune In radio app that I installed yesterday but did not use till today. After I uninstalled that it took about 10 tries but I finally got it working again.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, haven't had any issues connecting to my gear S2. I also have tune in, but I haven't run it yet, now I'm interested to see if that messes it up.

dmits

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
My Gear S3 and S2 work better than ever connected to my Pixel 2 xl. All the connecting is instant and the Bluetooth range is fantastic.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My S3 keeps connecting via bluetooth (in bluetooth settings, it should just be connected via the Gear app) and stops the phone connecting to other things automatically like my car. Notifications have stopped altogether today.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My Huawei watch connects to the phone and works fine, but then if I try to make a phone call on my phone, the watch is messing it up or something...it's like it's trying to route through the watch. I can't figure it out. I have to disconnect bluetooth. And the phone stops automatically connecting to my car bluetooth if the Huawei is connected...something's not right yet.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the S3 Frontier and I'm waiting for my 2xl from Verizon. I hope the watch will work well with the pixel, but if not then I'll be selling the watch, not the phone.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well my S3 needs to work on this phone P2 or its a bust well find out
My Huawei watch connects to the phone and works fine, but then if I try to make a phone call on my phone, the watch is messing it up or something...it's like it's trying to route through the watch. I can't figure it out. I have to disconnect bluetooth. And the phone stops automatically connecting to my car bluetooth if the Huawei is connected...something's not right yet.
My S3 keeps connecting via bluetooth (in bluetooth settings, it should just be connected via the Gear app) and stops the phone connecting to other things automatically like my car. Notifications have stopped altogether today.
I think the issue is that stock android handles headsets differently than Samsung does. You can have a Samsung phone connected to 3 or 4 devices at once and not have a problem. It'll just use whichever one you use to pick up the phone. Stock android is considering that watch your headset so it's not going to connect automatically to a car or anything else unless you disconnect it from the watch first. Can't do the whole multiple headsets thing. I would try disabling the headset ability if you don't usually use your watch to make calls and then you should be able to get your notifications still and automatically connect to your vehicles.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I think the issue is that stock android handles headsets differently than Samsung does. You can have a Samsung phone connected to 3 or 4 devices at once and not have a problem. It'll just use whichever one you use to pick up the phone. Stock android is considering that watch your headset so it's not going to connect automatically to a car or anything else unless you disconnect it from the watch first. Can't do the whole multiple headsets thing. I would try disabling the headset ability if you don't usually use your watch to make calls and then you should be able to get your notifications still and automatically connect to your vehicles.
Correct Samsung phone will allow me to connect to multiple devices, example my S3 Frontier and Altima would connect at the same time so a phone call would ring on all three devices a bit much ,so much that I allways keep my phone mutted.
Then I tryed a Sony phone and it would only connect one at a time disappointing, but if the pixel 2 will connect properly to my watch S3 then I'm happy with that don't really need it in the car , as my watch serves all my needs for Bluetooth, phone calls, emails, text, notifications

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Correct Samsung phone will allow me to connect to multiple devices, example my S3 Frontier and Altima would connect at the same time so a phone call would ring on all three devices a bit much ,so much that I allways keep my phone mutted.
Then I tryed a Sony phone and it would only connect one at a time disappointing, but if the pixel 2 will connect properly to my watch S3 then I'm happy with that don't really need it in the car , as my watch serves all my needs for Bluetooth, phone calls, emails, text, notifications
I would suspect that you won't have any issues then. It's the other posters that may have difficulty. They'll just have to decide which they want to use as a headset more.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I would suspect that you won't have any issues then. It's the other posters that may have difficulty. They'll just have to decide which they want to use as a headset more.

At the moment there's a bug where the phone won't work properly on bluetooth in the car anyway (no Assistant voice input when connected to bluetooth) so I'll have to try rely on the watch.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Tomorrow I'll test whether I can get both watch and car bluetooth to play nice and connect automatically. The other day they were both connected and when I got a phone call it went to both devices but I could not answer it from the watch only the phone or car stereo.

I will say that the BT range on the Pixel is much better than the Samsung S7 I had. One thing I noticed today is that the watch showed BT disconnected but I was still receiving notifications. I'm guessing they are coming over BT LE.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

So I tried to replicate this again today and I couldn't (yay). The phone calls all went through despite being connected to the watch.

I'll test the car tomorrow.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Received my pixel 2 today and easily paired my S3 Frontier and car 14 Altima now during a call in the car I can answer 3 ways phone,car or watch call clarity on all 3 is excellent.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Anyone with a S3 connected able to you Samsung Pay??
Yes you can use SP thur the gear app my favorite part of my S3 Frontier next to notifications ,but you don't have full access can't redeem your points for gift cards , so I'm over 10k in points and can't collect on $50 card that's exclusive to Samsung phones