My two cent Review.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't even had the phone for a full day yet but here is my take.

Design:
This phone is designed very well. It looks way better in person than it does on pictures or videos. It feels very light, lighter than my G6. I'm not sure if that's accurate but it FEELS lighter. I have to get used to the size of the XL again but it shouldn't take any time.

Camera:
Can I say WOW? The selfies are amazing, I'm not sure how many I will take because it's unpleasant seeing that much detail. I especially like it because after the LG G4, every selfie camera I've used that they have put in their phones have been quite bad and seems to get worse and worse. But with the Pixel 2 XL, the detail is tremendous and the Portrait Mode is awesome. It's not perfect, but from the look of the photos that are accomplished, you don't quite care much. I used the camera at night last night and I was impressed. I can't wait to take it for a spin and make a million memories with it. The video camera, how I recorded, in 60 FPS, the mic is pretty bad but the video looks so smooth!! I will definitely be contributing to the camera forum though.

Speakers:
The speakers are great. Some times they are louder and sometimes they are quiet, but it's awesome to have them on the front. Refreshing.

Innards (speed, battery, ram):
So far so good. It's lightning fast even with the animations. Had no real hiccups at all though Instagram crashed on me this morning. Out of the box it had 70% battery and I downloaded a million apps mostly on T-Mobile LTE (which works great with it) and when I went to bed I had 6 hours of battery life used, with 4 hours of SOT. That's without it being fully charged and also with it using a lot of resources during the set up. It also never got warm.

Headphones:
Haven't used the dongle yet

Squeeze functionality:
Oh man, I used Assistant so much yesterday. Probably as much as I used it in the month prior on my last phone.... in one night. The squeeze, which I thought I wouldn't care for... is probably one of my favorite features.

Screen:
What the heck is the big deal? OK, I will say that under LED cool white Christmas lights, it flickered a little when adaptive brightness is on.. but I turned it off and it was fine. Other than that, I tested the blue shift, but in real world usage.. I never saw it, because I don't tilt my phone when I use it............. The colors being "muted" isn't a deal breaker to me either, simply because I don't like Samsungs' vibrant colors and thankfully my wife doesn't either. She said the screen reminds her of a Galaxy phone and that she's glad it isn't as "cartoony". So that's a win-win for us. Ultimately, I feel like people tried really hard to find something that's wrong with this phone and when something stuck, they rolled with it. Now I'm not discounting that some may have bad models.. but I felt like it was the same thing like when the V20 or G6 lens covering glass were breaking and everyone though it was going to happen to them. It did happen to some, but most people didn't have that issue. So I say, go see the display for yourself and experience it before making a snap judgment to dismiss or cancel your order.

But anyway, so far so good. And remember, I haven't had it that long. I hope I don't get the burn-in though.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The blue shift isn't that bad on yours? I just received mine and even while typing I notice it a tiny bit as my hands shift. Is yours similar or requires an extreme angle?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks

How are you finding the size? Not properly held one yet as all UK demo models are in big ugly clamps, it kind of looks big for a 6" phone in 2017 but as I say not properly held one yet.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

How are you finding the size? Not properly held one yet as all UK demo models are in big ugly clamps, it kind of looks big for a 6" phone in 2017 but as I say not properly held one yet.

It's definitely a big phone, a little bigger than the OG XL.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The blue shift isn't that bad on yours? I just received mine and even while typing I notice it a tiny bit as my hands shift. Is yours similar or requires an extreme angle?
I don't see any issue as I'm typing. Looks like it's just at extreme angles. Did you have an update?

Last edited:

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

It's pretty big, but I had the V20 a little while ago and it's footprint is about the same with more screen.

xaeryan

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site

My experience is the same. Color shifts even under normal viewing angles (i.e. basic hand movement)

xxaarraa1983

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I see your 2 cents and raise you a dime.

I have a Note 8 and V30, I bought this phone for the camera and camera only. It delivers. Pixel is still the king of the hill when it comes to auto shooters. In this regard, I think it carries on last year's very well done Pixel line's strengths.

But that's where the positives stop for me. On a phone that costs $1000, the screen is garbage. Yes, pretty much every non-Samsung screen is going to be sub-par, but this one is bad.

True the single lens does 'portrait' mode fine, but the lack of a second lens on such an expensive phone considering the competition these days is inexcusable. Because a second lens adds a whole another dimension to your photography (zoom or wide angle) that you don't get in a single lens. A second lens expands the range of your compositions and helps you take photos that you simply otherwise cannot take.

MicroSD, IP67 instead of 68... these are not deal breakers for me and I can easily live without either. But again, it irritates me because the competition is able to deliver the same thing for the same price.

This is going to sound very weird, but I have had the most atypical user experience with native android on this phone for the first time. Screen isn't always responding to touches, odd crashes, assistant totally dropping th eball on setting my morning alarm one day... just a few niggles. Again, not deal breakers, but don't leave a good taste in my mouth.

Last, and this is a big deal. In hand feel is not good. I never put a case on any of my phones because in hand feel is huge for me. The curved front glass looks stupid. Phone feels very wide. And the stupid matte paint on the back makes it feel cheap. I just don't get it. Google is a master at taking something absolutely great (remember Nexus 5? original pixel) and completely ruining it all with the next generation (Nexus 6, this 2 XL).

Bottom line: It's one hell of a camera. One hell of an ordinary phone in all other regards. when the competition offers truly useful lifestyle features like Qi Quad DACs or Samsung Pay for the same money, the XL just doesn't cut it. In 2016, I lived with all the downsides for that camera. In 2017, with the competition so close on the camera performance, I am not sure how long I will keep the Pixel.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
to each their own.

I don't have a V30 but I've had a G6 since launch and they are basically the same phone, minus the DAC, I do like the feel of the G6 and when I held the V30 yesterday.

xxaarraa1983

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
to each their own.

I don't have a V30 but I've had a G6 since launch and they are basically the same phone, minus the DAC, I do like the feel of the G6 and when I held the V30 yesterday.

I had a G6 as well. The V30 'feels' even better in hand. LG has its own quirks don't get me wrong, but the V30 is a solid overall package, just like the Note 8. Neither is as good as the Pixel's main lens, but close, very close, with a ton of other features to make them more well rounded packages.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I see your 2 cents and raise you a dime.

I have a Note 8 and V30, I bought this phone for the camera and camera only.

You already have two expensive phones and bought a third just for the camera? An upper middle-class digital point-and-shoot would be cheaper and out-perform any cell phone camera at the same time.

I'm not seeing the justification here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech