PSA for AT&T Pixel 2 Owners

Userexists

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Here is the process I went through last night to get mine activated. Bear in mind I went into the call ready. I was on the phone a total of 7 minutes. I called and win it prompted me for my trouble I simply said advanced technical support representative. When you put the word advanced in there you typical get the highest level and they are American. So i tell him I have a new pixel and I know that I am now eligible for advanced calling features specifically VOLTE. He double checked the system and when he did yes for sure the Pixel is eligible. Once that was done he put in my IMEI and when he did he said it came up as manufacture Google. He had never seen that before, so the phone is definitely in their system. Next he checked to make sure VOLTE was on it was. Reset and it worked.

The last thing he told me that because the system is provisioning the pixel for VOLTE technically Wificalling should work. They dont really provision one or the other he said the way they do it its a group of features. Which got me to thinking maybe like needing 8.1 to get on VOLTE. One of the next updates might have Wificalling since it has to be on both ends. Keep in mind I hardly listen to anything Att and tells me. In my experience though the advanced tech support has been great so I take what they say a bit more seriously.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone on AT&T gotten the 8.1 update through AT&T yet? I'm on the phone (and livid) with Google right now because apparently the update comes through the carrier, NOT Google, and that's the whole reason I got the phone in the first place.

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: PSA for AT&T Pixel 2 Owners

Project Fi, FTW, carriers are fine for iPhone owners anyone else just gets screwed update wise by them.

This is the number one issue Google needs to fix IMHO. Treble is supposed to help but it is not here yet.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Update - I'm on the AT&T Go plan since my Pixel 2 is universal anyway. I talked to their support and according to them, the 8.1 update will be pushed on Dec 10. I don't know how accurate that is or if they were just trying to get me off the phone, but that's what he said. Guess I'll wait and see.

This is very disappointing. The only reason I got a Pixel 2 was because I thought Pixel phones were updated by Google, not the carrier. I really don't want an iPhone but with all these security issues popping up, I can't afford to use an unpatched OS.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Google provides the updates for Pixel phones. If you don't like waiting for your carrier to allow the update to come through, then you can always opt to sideload the update.

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site

Has anyone on AT&T gotten the 8.1 update through AT&T yet? I'm on the phone (and livid) with Google right now because apparently the update comes through the carrier, NOT Google, and that's the whole reason I got the phone in the first place.
I've seen *some* att users get the 8.1 update but I just sideload anyway lol
Project Fi, FTW, carriers are fine for iPhone owners anyone else just gets screwed update wise by them.

This is the number one issue Google needs to fix IMHO. Treble is supposed to help but it is not here yet.
Isn't Fi on the same schedule as tmo?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Isn't Fi on the same schedule as tmo?

Fi runs on T-Mobile (also Sprint and I believe US Cellular). The updates aren't carrier, location, or anything like that based so it doesn't matter. The only time it matters for Pixel phones is the Verizon version.. but Verizon release it the same time as Google so that works :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

All Pixel phones get updated via Google... except for the Verizon Version which has updates pushed by Verizon but they are pushing them the same time as Google.

I believe you aren't getting the issue in this thread. The issue is that AT&T doesn't support VoLTE on a lot of unlocked / non-AT&T branded phones. It seems with the 8.1 update AT&T is finally being nice to Pixel 2 owners and allowing VoLTE to work on their network. They should have from the start but... they didn't.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463