Android Auto - phone rebooting during calls

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2 XL yesterday and set up Android Auto on it to connect with my Honda Pilot today. The first 2 phone calls I made, both to my wife, caused my phone to reboot about a minute into my phone call. I've been using Android Auto on my OG Pixel XL with no issues in the same car. Anybody else seeing anything similar?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2 XL yesterday and set up Android Auto on it to connect with my Honda Pilot today. The first 2 phone calls I made, both to my wife, caused my phone to reboot about a minute into my phone call. I've been using Android Auto on my OG Pixel XL with no issues in the same car. Anybody else seeing anything similar?

I still keep forgetting to test Android Auto with my phone. I will test it later tonight / tomorrow morning in my truck (F-150) and see what it does. I will report back my findings.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have used my XL 2 in my VW Passat without any problems, but I didn't make any phone calls. If I can remember, I'll try to make some calls tomorrow using it.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The app (standalone, not a connected car) is really really bad on the Pixel 2. First phone that I've ever had issues with using it.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The app (standalone, not a connected car) is really really bad on the Pixel 2. First phone that I've ever had issues with using it.

What makes you make that statement? I had absolutely no issues using it on my phone with my car...

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
What makes you make that statement? I had absolutely no issues using it on my phone with my car...

1. The ambient display does not come on when the phone locks if you're using android auto. The screen just goes black and you have to hit the power button to wake it again as the screen double-tap doesn't work.

2. A few times now in calls the bottom buttons (home, maps, calls, media) disappeared which meant I couldn't switch back to maps until the call ended.

Never had either issue on the previous four phones I used since the stand alone app was released.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to check this morning (zombie mode -- need my caffeine) .. I will try on lunch and report back.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
1. The ambient display does not come on when the phone locks if you're using android auto. The screen just goes black and you have to hit the power button to wake it again as the screen double-tap doesn't work.

2. A few times now in calls the bottom buttons (home, maps, calls, media) disappeared which meant I couldn't switch back to maps until the call ended.

Never had either issue on the previous four phones I used since the stand alone app was released.

Oh, now I get what you're saying.

I've only ever used it for interfacing with my car's in dash display. Works great that way.

Be sure to report your issues to Google so they can address them...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I used it a bunch tonight. I made sure to use just AA when driving around. I used it for maps, music, and also making/receiving phone calls. All worked just like it should. This is with my truck (2017 F-150 w/ Sync 3).

Rdelgrande87

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2017 gmc acadia and a pixel xl 2. I have this exact same issue I haven't had the truck long enough that I can say I had no issues on my og pixel. AA works fine with no issues at all, I have used it over 12 hours the only time I have this issue is during a phone call. Out of no where the phone will just reboot I have had it happen 3 times 2 of them were back to back within 3 minutes. The other time it happened was a week later and it's normally about 5 minutes or less into the call. I drove the truck to Hershey for 2 hours with no calls and no reboots or issues on AA. Yet on the way home had to make a call and got a reboot.

If I can't solve this issue I will have to get rid of the phone and really don't want to because I love it. I have really important calls for work that I can't have just drop like that and I won't not use android auto.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a 2017 gmc acadia and a pixel xl 2. I have this exact same issue I haven't had the truck long enough that I can say I had no issues on my og pixel. AA works fine with no issues at all, I have used it over 12 hours the only time I have this issue is during a phone call. Out of no where the phone will just reboot I have had it happen 3 times 2 of them were back to back within 3 minutes. The other time it happened was a week later and it's normally about 5 minutes or less into the call. I drove the truck to Hershey for 2 hours with no calls and no reboots or issues on AA. Yet on the way home had to make a call and got a reboot.

If I can't solve this issue I will have to get rid of the phone and really don't want to because I love it. I have really important calls for work that I can't have just drop like that and I won't not use android auto.

If the Nov patch doesn't fix this I will send it back for a replacement. This is deal breaker for me.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the 2XL with a SONY Android Auto Aftermarket Receiver in my car. No issues with phone rebooting during a call. I do have some other issues though, like sometimes the audio will still be going through my phones speakers instead of the car, sometimes theres no audio at all. Both issues require me to unplug the phone and plug it back in, and 100% of the time that resolves it.

These issues were also prevalent on the OG Pixel though, so i cant say this is specific to the 2XL. Sorry for those having reboot issues, that would be annoying. BUT Android Auto seems to still have a bit of buggyness to it. It seems lore likely it is the cars receiver than it is the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawiss