I have an Amazon Seller app that does among other things sends me a notification as soon as a customer sends me a message through Amazon.

On my old Note Edge, I set up a special notification tone so I knew right away that a customer messaged me. I believe I did this by long pressing on a notification, hit the settings gear, and then was able to pick a notification tone specific to that app's notifications.

I tried to do the same on my XL 2. I long press on a notification and can only turn notification sounds on or off, but can not select a specific ring tone.

Inside the app, there is no option to set a specific ring tone, and if there was, it would have carried over to my new phone because the Amazon Seller app is something I log into so all settings remain the same in the app when I log into it.

So either I stumbled blindly on how to do this on my old phone, or the option to change a ringtone via the notifications is no longer there.

Any ideas?
    Jonneh and BBook1999 like this.
    10-27-2017 06:20 PM
    I agree with you; there does not appear to be any way to change the notification sound for most apps.

Those that do allow this seem to have it built in to the app itself - example: GMail, Messages, WhatsApp.
    Ca_lvn and Jonneh like this.
    10-28-2017 08:37 AM
    I have seen this issue with the Twitter app as well on my Pixel 2. it's driving me a bit crazy
    10-28-2017 11:27 AM
    I have seen this issue with the Twitter app as well on my Pixel 2. it's driving me a bit crazy
    I don't use twitter on my phone anymore but I used to have a bird chip sound. This is not possible anymore?
    10-28-2017 12:01 PM
    This is an app developer issue. You should contact Amazon and tell them to update their app...
    10-28-2017 01:07 PM
    This is an app developer issue. You should contact Amazon and tell them to update their app...
    Yes but I was able to assign specific notification sounds to popup notification screens with Android 6.0.1

I guess that feature was removed.
    10-28-2017 05:14 PM
    Yes but I was able to assign specific notification sounds to popup notification screens with Android 6.0.1

That's 2 Android versions ago!

Lots of things have changed. The good news is that Android leaving such decisions up to app developers gives them a lot more freedom. The bad news is that they may have to actually update their app.
    xzell likes this.
    10-28-2017 05:40 PM

Or Samsung added that to their version of Android...
    10-28-2017 06:28 PM
    Apps & notifications > App info > Amazon > App Notifications > Notifications 'Make Sound' > Sound.

It took me a minute to find per-app notification settings. But it's there.

(Pixel - Android 8.1)
    Chex313 and xzell like this.
    11-02-2017 08:49 PM
    Apps & notifications > App info > Amazon > App Notifications > Notifications 'Make Sound' > Sound.

(Pixel - Android 8.1)
    I have tried setting the sound within the Twitter app and no matter what i do it still plays the generic phone sound :-( it's a tad frustrating.
    11-03-2017 07:43 AM
    You also use to be able to set specific notification sounds for Gmail labels and that was removed as well. Not sure why Google is moving towards less options
    11-03-2017 08:29 AM
    I have tried setting the sound within the Twitter app and no matter what i do it still plays the generic phone sound :-( it's a tad frustrating.
    I was having the same problem. What fixed it for me was using the "sounds" option for editing the notifications. Instead of zedge or whatever sound app you may be using. Hope this helps!
    11-03-2017 08:32 AM

(Pixel - Android 8.1)
    Slightly off topic, but one of the cooler Oreo shortcuts is the <long press on app> "i" that gets you right to the app settings without going through the normal settings and finding your app.

In this case you could just long press your Amazon app and click the little "i" at the top and go to notifications. Saves a bit of time and a step or 2 ..
    11-03-2017 08:53 AM
    I figured out how I changed the ringtone on the Amazon app and other apps like twitter that don't have a settings option for notification sounds.

Sometime in the past I installed Notifier Pro. It allows me to set up specific ringtones for apps that don't offer that option. I set it and forgot about it over a year ago. Now have it set up properly on the pixel.
    11-03-2017 09:48 AM