Screen issues are seriously over hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a Nexus 6P for more than two years, but not the same one--the initial was newly purchased by me, and the 2nd was a refurbished replacement. Still, the actual device(s) were made in 2015. I would keep the Pixel 2 XL for two years...if it wasn't for the screen. Even though many of the issues still come down to tolerance and personal experience with the device.

On the other hand, with all this hoopla that has surrounded the Pixel 3 XL screen, I suspect Google's "Pixel 3 XL" will be sure fire "The One". Ultimately, all they need to do is get the screen right [next time around], and Google could have that device in true talks of "the best phone".

Till then, I have both a Pixel 2 XL and an Essential Phone coming to me this week. Between the build quality of the Essential Phone and my favorite software experience on a device with the Pixel 2 XL (and I'm so eager to explore the eSIM technology), I should be content for the next 8 - 12 months at the very least.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I've owned a Nexus 6P for more than two years, but not the same one--the initial was newly purchased by me, and the 2nd was a refurbished replacement. Still, the actual device(s) were made in 2015. I would keep the Pixel 2 XL for two years...if it wasn't for the screen. Even though many of the issues still come down to tolerance and personal experience with the device.

On the other hand, with all this hoopla that has surrounded the Pixel 3 XL screen, I suspect Google's "Pixel 3 XL" will be sure fire "The One". Ultimately, all they need to do is get the screen right [next time around], and Google could have that device in true talks of "the best phone".

Till then, I have both a Pixel 2 XL and an Essential Phone coming to me this week. Between the build quality of the Essential Phone and my favorite software experience on a device with the Pixel 2 XL (and I'm so eager to explore the eSIM technology), I should be content for the next 8 - 12 months at the very least.

Nah someone will find something to complaining about and it will be another geekgate and all hell will break lose....and nobody of consequence will care.

First pixel was, "it's not waterproof, it's crap". The Nexus 6p was crap because, no removable battery or wireless charging and bendgate. The Nexus 6 had the worst camera of all time. There's always something. But of course...the next year is never as good as the superior, perfect, previous year.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Nah someone will find something to complaining about and it will be another geekgate and all hell will break lose....and nobody of consequence will care.

First pixel was, "it's not waterproof, it's crap". The Nexus 6p was crap because, no removable battery or wireless charging and bendgate. The Nexus 6 had the worst camera of all time. There's always something. But of course...the next year is never as good as the superior, perfect, previous year.

Well, in hindsight, the 6P WAS crap and the Nexus 6 DID have one of the worst cameras ever. I don't recall ever seeing anyone say the OG Pixel was crap because of the lack of waterproofing, but it was cited as a downside because it was. Funnily enough, you're proving that all the criticism is for issues that are actually a problem for a lot of people.

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I can see you point... Well, for me...personally...the "Pixel 3 XL" will be very close to perfect......as long as Google has discovered an answer to the screen issues of the Pixel 2 XL (may they go with Samsung).

Waterproofing - I don't care about. I don't swim with my device. Dropping a device in a toilet has happened to meeeee Nonce.

Wireless charging - I don't care about. Devices get quite hot while doing so. Plus I often enough USE (hold) my device while it's charging [aside from when I'm sleeping...at least until that day I tap into my Astro-body].

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I can see you point... Well, for me...personally...the "Pixel 3 XL" will be very close to perfect......as long as Google has discovered an answer to the screen issues of the Pixel 2 XL (may they go with Samsung).

Waterproofing - I don't care about. I don't swim with my device. Dropping a device in a toilet has happened to meeeee Nonce.

Wireless charging - I don't care about. Devices get quite hot while doing so. Plus I often enough USE (hold) my device while it's charging [aside from when I'm sleeping...at least until that day I tap into my Astro-body].

I feel the same as you. Just pointing out how every hot new device has a escalated controversy.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, in hindsight, the 6P WAS crap and the Nexus 6 DID have one of the worst cameras ever. I don't recall ever seeing anyone say the OG Pixel was crap because of the lack of waterproofing, but it was cited as a downside because it was. Funnily enough, you're proving that all the criticism is for issues that are actually a problem for a lot of people.

That was all I read on the pixel XL. How dare they not make it waterproof!

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, the 6p was an incredible device. Maybe you just don't like Google devices.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the Pixel XL screen isn't *crap* after all. It's the opinions of the know nothing amateur-hour reviewers that's *crap*

Display expert Raymond Soneira, President of DisplayMate Technologies: Raymond Soneira provided some information on background that was helpful. And provided this comment: "Very few reviewers understand current display technology, which gives rise to lots of bogus claims. You can't simply eyeball mobile and TV display performance anymore, the displays are now considerably more complex with lots of internal modes and variables that need to be properly lab tested, measured, and evaluated."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...are-the-problems-serious-or-not/#1b6b112f3cb1

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Lmao... I don’t need to be an expert to decide if I find a screen dull or not, nor does trying to explain it away help settle fears of screen burn in after a few weeks.

The Pixel 2 XL still looks like a terrific phone, but even if you love the duller colors of its screen, doesn’t mean you get to dictate how everyone else should feel.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, the 6p was an incredible device. Maybe you just don't like Google devices.

Dude I've owned every Google device since the Nexus One, so you might not want to go there because it will end badly for you. The 6P was a garbage device that was a mistake for Google. It was a ticking time bomb with subpar hardware because of Google choosing Huawei to make it, and as we saw, there were some major reliability issues. The Nexus 6 was a great device minus some screen wonkiness and that afforementioned terrible camera. Besides the 6P, I've loved every device Google has ever slapped it's logo on. I liked the 2XL too, but for the $1000 I was paying, burn in was too much of an issue. As I said in one of the prior threads, I will revisit the 2XL in a couple months when the issues are ironed out. So please, don't try and lecture me.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the Pixel XL screen isn't *crap* after all. It's the opinions of the know nothing amateur-hour reviewers that's *crap*

Display expert Raymond Soneira, President of DisplayMate Technologies: Raymond Soneira provided some information on background that was helpful. And provided this comment: "Very few reviewers understand current display technology, which gives rise to lots of bogus claims. You can't simply eyeball mobile and TV display performance anymore, the displays are now considerably more complex with lots of internal modes and variables that need to be properly lab tested, measured, and evaluated."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...are-the-problems-serious-or-not/#1b6b112f3cb1

You mean the guy Samsung pays off every year to declare the latest Samsung phone has 'teh best screen evar!'?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Dude I've owned every Google device since the Nexus One, so you might not want to go there because it will end badly for you. The 6P was a garbage device that was a mistake for Google. It was a ticking time bomb with subpar hardware because of Google choosing Huawei to make it, and as we saw, there were some major reliability issues. The Nexus 6 was a great device minus some screen wonkiness and that afforementioned terrible camera. Besides the 6P, I've loved every device Google has ever slapped it's logo on. I liked the 2XL too, but for the $1000 I was paying, burn in was too much of an issue. As I said in one of the prior threads, I will revisit the 2XL in a couple months when the issues are ironed out. So please, don't try and lecture me.

Many many many will strongly disagree with you.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Many many many will strongly disagree with you.

See this is where you're struggling, and have been in every thread I've seen you comment. You take your own opinion (and mine in the quoted comment) as an absolute. My OPINION is the 6P as trash, but that clearly doesn't hold true for you. Just like others believe the 2XL is a subpar device for the cost, which you also disagree with. You are free to disagree with them, but don't act like your opinion is gold and everyone else's is wrong.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Count me as someone who disagrees with you about the 6P being trash. Since I bought that on launch day, my wife has gone through : a G4 that burned through batteries and sometimes focused like a stoned college student, a S7 that burned though a charge even quicker, would just lose photos and had a tendency to take black selfies, a Note 7..... A S7 Edge that, well, see S7 but with a better battery, and a G6 that can't take a good low light pic of anything living off its life depended on it.

At the moment, my wife is happily using my inferior 6P because it runs better, takes more reliable and higher quality pictures than any of that other junk she's used in the last two years. I floated the idea of upgrading her off a now two year old phone and she got annoyed.

My biggest mistake wasn't buying a piece of trash phone two years ago, it was that I didn't buy two.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
See this is where you're struggling, and have been in every thread I've seen you comment. You take your own opinion (and mine in the quoted comment) as an absolute. My OPINION is the 6P as trash, but that clearly doesn't hold true for you. Just like others believe the 2XL is a subpar device for the cost, which you also disagree with. You are free to disagree with them, but don't act like your opinion is gold and everyone else's is wrong.

I never said my opinion is all that matters. I said many many many world disagree with you. Meaning other people.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Saying that the pixel 2 XL is not a very well-built premium device is ridiculous in my opinion. Do I think it should cost $900, absolutely not. Do I think any other phone out there is worth $900, absolutely not. Do I think the build quality is worse than Samsung or LG phones out there, absolutely not.

And my 6P has been a very good phone too, I used it for a year and my son is still using it without any issues... the build quality of the 6P is definitely not anything like a Pixel and it didn't cost anything like a Pixel either.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Are people trashing the phone? Or are people criticizing the XL display? There is a difference right?

I’m thinking of pre ordering the smaller Pixel 2. I wanted the taller one, but I’m unconvinced that there isn’t a problem with that screen. People getting defensive are actually hurting not helping.

Short answer to your question is both.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Count me as someone who disagrees with you about the 6P being trash. Since I bought that on launch day, my wife has gone through : a G4 that burned through batteries and sometimes focused like a stoned college student, a S7 that burned though a charge even quicker, would just lose photos and had a tendency to take black selfies, a Note 7..... A S7 Edge that, well, see S7 but with a better battery, and a G6 that can't take a good low light pic of anything living off its life depended on it.

At the moment, my wife is happily using my inferior 6P because it runs better, takes more reliable and higher quality pictures than any of that other junk she's used in the last two years. I floated the idea of upgrading her off a now two year old phone and she got annoyed.

My biggest mistake wasn't buying a piece of trash phone two years ago, it was that I didn't buy two.

The Nexus 6P is awesome. I kind of wish now that I had purchased one when it launched! I really miss the stock Android experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza