Will Google tighten up quality control on the Pixel 2 XL?

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you think Google is going to subtle improving quality control on the Pixel 2's, specifically the 2 XL?

I have a 2 XL that I received on the 20th. Overall the phone is great, but I do have the off axis color shift. I see some that barely show a color shift and others that show a more pronounced shift. I'm debating sending the unit back and waiting a couple of months before checking it out again.

Do you think phones in a couple of months will have less off axis color shift?

Thanks,

Rick

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm very critical of devices I use and would be the first to condemn it if it were bad. I used a Samsung s6 edge for 4 months and really tried to like it...but when the 6p was announced I switched for it and couldn't have been happier.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, it is what it is. Any company that does not calibrate screens individually is going to have issues with colors not looking right. I still think the blue shift is due to the polarizer they are using. All AMOLED does it, the P2XL just does it a lot more than most. I think a lot of people out there aren't going to be bothered by that screen at all if they would just go try one out.

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
I really like my new XL. The issue with tint is something I've seen on many phones I've tried and is present in this phone. However, it doesn't bother me in the least. The tint is only noticeable if you try to find it. This phone is great.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
How bad is the tint from an angle watching video?

Basically unnoticeable. Your brain has this cool way of correcting colors when viewed. The extremely subtle shift is only noticeable when you tilt the phone at an extreme angle. If you are looking at the phone at that angle already, you can't see it.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Basically unnoticeable. Your brain has this cool way of correcting colors when viewed. The extremely subtle shift is only noticeable when you tilt the phone at an extreme angle. If you are looking at the phone at that angle already, you can't see it.
Some devices are worse than others though. I think people should just get one and see if the blue shift is a problem for them or not. I don't think asking anyone else at this point matters since the devices vary so much.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the 2 XL. think for yourself and stop letting tech bloggers decide for you.
There's nothing wrong in the sense that it's how Google designed the phone, but I consider Jerry's opinions a little higher than others just because of his engineering background and even he said that it's not a good display. Is it terrible? No. They could/should have done better. Like I said in my other post though, people should try it out for themselves.

To the OP, I doubt there will be much difference in a few months except that you may possibly find a deal then. Screen will likely look the same.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The screen is actually pretty nice when viewed head on. On the unit i saw, the shift was noticable but not too distracting at what i would consider a reasonable angle. At extreme angles though, it's just about the worst viewing angles I've ever seen. Other devices shift colors, or like my v20 lose brightness at these angles, but the xl just turns really, really blue.

If you're not someone who uses their phone while it's lying on a desk or table a lot it might bother you. If not you might not even notice it too often.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How bad is the tint from an angle watching video?
Saw a Pixel 2 XL at Best Buy on Friday and I thought the blue tint was very noticeable. I played with the display brightness and different backgrounds on the screen. I didn't have to tilt it very far off axis and I could see it under all conditions, though with a white background it was most noticeable. While I didn't test it by watching videos I'd assume it would exhibit the blue tint.

I came away severely disappointed because I was pretty much pre-sold on getting this device. I don't think I could fork over $900 for this phone and look at a blue tinted screen every day.

I'm going to look at the Pixel 2 XL at a couple of other stores and compare the severity of the blue tint, just to see if it varies from device to individual device. But right now my purchase is on hold.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but not true when I saw this device at Best Buy. In no way could the blue tint be described as "extremely subtle" at least not in the device I saw. I changed screen brightness, background images, etc. Blue tint was obtrusive and noticeable, even at slight angles off of straight on and got progressively worse the further off axis I went.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but not true when I saw this device at Best Buy. In no way could the blue tint be described as "extremely subtle" at least not in the device I saw. I changed screen brightness, background images, etc. Blue tint was obtrusive and noticeable, even at slight angles off of straight on and got progressively worse the further off axis I went.

So one unit of millions. Not my experience, so I can't sympathize.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Saw a Pixel 2 XL at Best Buy on Friday and I thought the blue tint was very noticeable. I played with the display brightness and different backgrounds on the screen. I didn't have to tilt it very far off axis and I could see it under all conditions, though with a white background it was most noticeable. While I didn't test it by watching videos I'd assume it would exhibit the blue tint.

I came away severely disappointed because I was pretty much pre-sold on getting this device. I don't think I could fork over $900 for this phone and look at a blue tinted screen every day.

I'm going to look at the Pixel 2 XL at a couple of other stores and compare the severity of the blue tint, just to see if it varies from device to individual device. But right now my purchase is on hold.

That's how my experience was and it lead me to the Pixel 2.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
They should have thrown money at Samsung to get better displays for the Pixel 2 XL.

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually it is your opinion that it's not good. It is fact that it is phenomenal.

I'd have to say that the consensus is that it is not a phenomenal screen but just an average screen. I have not heard the word phenomenal used with this screen from anybody at all and having owned the XL 2 I can say it is not phenomenal. The S8+ or note 8 are phenomenal screens.

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel 2 has one of the best screens out there. I personally have been converted to sRGB. I don't like the cartoonish Samsung displays anymore.

Knowing that it is better than the original display, I would say it is a phenomenal display. I understand some people like spicy food, but I like mine with less pepper thank you very much.