Will Google tighten up quality control on the Pixel 2 XL?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I'd have to say that the consensus is that it is not a phenomenal screen but just an average screen. I have not heard the word phenomenal used with this screen from anybody at all and having owned the XL 2 I can say it is not phenomenal. The S8+ or note 8 are phenomenal screens.

Meaning the consensus of non owners. So nobody. Everyone that actually owns and uses the device. Please chime in.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Black Friday is coming. If Pixel XL2 or Note 8 have huge discount either could get me. No way I'm spending $900 on either. Gotta get down under $700

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've yet to see a single complaint from someone that actually owns one. Only people that saw reviews and played with one for a few minutes in a store.

Going back to other threads that I've seen you actively participating in, I already see one person that owned and returned the Pixel 2 XL because of screen issues.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Going back to other threads that I've seen you actively participating in, I already see one person that owned and returned the Pixel 2 XL because of screen issues.
He's just gonna say whatever to justify his purchase. I can understand people liking it, just don't understand saying the screen is awesome when it clearly isn't. AC even had a display expert on the podcast to talk about how terrible it is. No phone is perfect, I wish some people would just acknowledge that.
Black Friday is coming. If Pixel XL2 or Note 8 have huge discount either could get me. No way I'm spending $900 on either. Gotta get down under $700
I'd grab one if it were cheaper. Hoping Best Buy does a big discount like they did last year.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
He's just gonna say whatever to justify his purchase. I can understand people liking it, just don't understand saying the screen is awesome when it clearly isn't. AC even had a display expert on the podcast to talk about how terrible it is. No phone is perfect, I wish some people would just acknowledge that. I'd grab one if it were cheaper. Hoping Best Buy does a big discount like they did last year.
I'd prefer to buy directly from VZW but beggars can't be choosers. Whoever has the best deal. My cc company screwed me on the Note 8 for ex Note 7 owners deal. Haven't seen anything comparable for Pixel. We'll see. Black Friday can be fun.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd prefer to buy directly from VZW but beggars can't be choosers. Whoever has the best deal. My cc company screwed me on the Note 8 for ex Note 7 owners deal. Haven't seen anything comparable for Pixel. We'll see. Black Friday can be fun.
Yeah I think last year Best Buy had it for half off. I love Black Friday, even if it's only to watch others act crazy lol. And that sucks about missing out on that deal.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think last year Best Buy had it for half off. I love Black Friday, even if it's only to watch others act crazy lol. And that sucks about missing out on that deal.

I got the first gen Pixel for $240 last year.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Meaning the consensus of non owners. So nobody. Everyone that actually owns and uses the device. Please chime in.
They already did in the "Anybody Get a Problem Free Display"? You said you had the blue tint problem in that thread.

Not exactly happy campers over there, many people said "no big deal" or "it's not too bad" or "not really a problem", but no one said "phenomenal screen".

May 3, 2015
Visit site
They already did in the "Anybody Get a Problem Free Display"? You said you had the blue tint problem in that thread.

Not exactly happy campers over there, many people said "no big deal" or "it's not too bad" or "not really a problem", but no one said "phenomenal screen".

I said there is a very slight blue shift when I tilt it in a way I never would.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
It's the 2nd post in the thread. There was no qualifying, "very slight" when describing the blue tint:

Wow. Really sad. Also notice I said no big deal since I don't use it tilted. Also that was day 1. After 10 days I don't even notice it if I do view at an angle. Honestly, I don't give a crap if you decide to buy one. My point behind all this was that it's a great device and I want to see a 3 next year. If it gets too heavily bashed on sales will be affected for no good reason and we won't. I've already seen it happen with the pixel c. One of the best tablets ever made. Nobody bought it because initial reviews were harsh as hell for no good reason.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
A Pixel 2 XL for half off? Oh ya I hope so! I get used to screen. My LG V20 LCD looks great to me now. Everyone says LCD sucks. Shows to go ya

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Really sad. Also notice I said no big deal since I don't use it tilted. Also that was day 1. After 10 days I don't even notice it if I do view at an angle. Honestly, I don't give a crap if you decide to buy one. My point behind all this was that it's a great device and I want to see a 3 next year. If it gets too heavily bashed on sales will be affected for no good reason and we won't. I've already seen it happen with the pixel c. One of the best tablets ever made. Nobody bought it because initial reviews were harsh as hell for no good reason.

So you're astroturfing against legitimate criticism. Got it.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I like all this had turned into an attack each other thread. I also think the majority of people who dislike the device have never owned it and are basing it off tech blogs. However, that is JUST MY OPINION. YOURS MAY DIFFER. ITS OK.

To the OP, I don't suspect the screen will change in a few months. It seems Google made the decision on this screen for whatever reason they did and I couldn't see it making sense to them to abandoned it and essentially start over (testing, negotiations, contracts, assembly, etc), that's a pretty long process. And it seems if they would try to go to a Samsung display like many seem to want, it appears those screens are in very short supply so that eould probably be difficult to do. However, I suggest trying to the for yourself. A display at Best Buy? I get it, but how long did you get to use it, how abused is it, etc. Either try a personally owned one, buy and return if you don't like, or try several stores, but again those are likely to be treated the same as Best Buy.

End of the day, buy the phone YOU like, not want you are told. Disagree with someone else? It's ok.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci