Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL: What is wrong with Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I had an original Pixel last year and it was a great phone. I was thinking about getting another Pixel this year but now will not. I am astonished at the thinking and decision making at the phone hardware division. The design of the Pixel 2 has been panned because of the size of the bezels. The 2 XL continues to demonstrate qualities that are not consistent with a flagship phone marketed at a flagship price. Who gave the final okay to a design that has so many problems? We all know the camera is excellent and might even get better once the processing SOC is activated. Was Google unable to get good displays because Samsung and Apple have all of the capacity? Why was such a dull color display allowed to be released? After initially saying the colors were natural it looks like they will release a P3 tuning update for the screen colors. Their statement that the blue shift is visible only at a "sharp" angle is laughable.

They are currently in crisis mode. Offering a 2 year warranty and saying a fix is coming for the screen tuning might not be enough. No mention of the blue shift fix has been made. Maybe it is unfixable.

Although this post might be viewed as trollish, it is time for Google to face the facts: This 2XL is a thoroughly unacceptable phone in its current configuration.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Another one of these threads?

Also, maybe Google isn't good at hardware yet. The first gen Pixels were hard to get. They've disabled functionality on the Google Home Mini. And display issues with the Pixel 2 XL.

It's a reminder that Google is still relatively new at consumer hardware.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I had an original Pixel last year and it was a great phone. I was thinking about getting another Pixel this year but now will not. I am astonished at the thinking and decision making at the phone hardware division. The design of the Pixel 2 has been panned because of the size of the bezels. The 2 XL continues to demonstrate qualities that are not consistent with a flagship phone marketed at a flagship price. Who gave the final okay to a design that has so many problems? We all know the camera is excellent and might even get better once the processing SOC is activated. Was Google unable to get good displays because Samsung and Apple have all of the capacity? Why was such a dull color display allowed to be released? After initially saying the colors were natural it looks like they will release a P3 tuning update for the screen colors. Their statement that the blue shift is visible only at a "sharp" angle is laughable.

They are currently in crisis mode. Offering a 2 year warranty and saying a fix is coming for the screen tuning might not be enough. No mention of the blue shift fix has been made. Maybe it is unfixable.

Although this post might be viewed as trollish, it is time for Google to face the facts: This 2XL is a thoroughly unacceptable phone in its current configuration.

I had the pixel XL last year. Preorder the 2 XL during keynote. . The 2XL is a massive upgrade and the best phone I've ever owned. You have no clue what you're talking about.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Loving my Pixel 2! I couldn't care less about bezels. The colors on my Pixel are perfect. More vibrant than if they were completely true to life, but not garish. Have you looked at one in real life?
Best phone I've ever owned.

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Lame thread. Do we really another thread for someone trying to justify not upgrading to Pixel 2. We get it, you wanted the best of everything at the lowest price. You didn't get it. Move on.

My Pixel has been absolutely perfection so far, and Google is aggressively advertising and selling 2017 Pixels with industry best warranty. Enjoy your phone, don't worry about things that don't matter.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Using my Pixel 2XL right now and it's definitely better than my OG Pixel.

So the OP doesn't get to make facts for all of us to obey.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Nexus 6p to a Pixel 2. I was really excited about the 2XL, but I decided that the screen was just not for me. The bezels don't bother me. I'm more concerned with hardware/software than appearance. Frankly, it's kind of an ugly phone by most standards but give me updates that constantly improve my experience and I'm happy.

I think the screen thing is overblown and part of me wants to give it a second try but the burn in that quickly bothers me more than the color shift (we do a lot of full screen video watching, mostly home movies). LG just isn't where Samsung is yet and I don't fault Google for making a manufacturing decision that gets devices in people's hands as quickly as possible.

I really do love this phone. Yesterday I went 14 hours with 5 hours SOT which was a mix of photos, home movies and streaming about an hour and a half of Fox and Netflix. I plugged it in with 15% left. That is amazing for a device that spends life on Project Fi which will eat more battery than a service that is not multiple carrier. For some people, that battery life is unacceptable. With my usage, it's incredible. Many things come down to perspective and preference. I miss my 6p's speaker volume, these are simply not as loud. Every device has some form of compromise. This one was bezels. Next year's Pixel 3 may eliminate those bezels altogether. If they do, and trade in is delicious on this thing, I may put some cash with this phone and upgrade.

All of these complaints fail to acknowledge the things that Google does right. Think about it guys, before the Nexus 6p, Google was dead last in camera performance and they went from first to last in record time. The camera was a big selling point from me and I'm a person that used to salivate over the next Nexus device, custom ROMS and any general tomfoolery I could do with a smart phone. We all evolve and change. Google is evolving and changing as well. What they are doing right, they're doing amazingly well. And what is wrong is pretty bad. So, par for the course. ;)

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Do we have a hide thread button here? Even better would be a "Hide this type of thread" button...

Right? How annoying that we get a killer new device and now have to Wade thru all this negative crap based on heresay. At least if the people posting these owned the device and was disappointed, that's one thing... But...I saw a tech blogger say it's bad, so it's bad is just pointlessly damaging.

Last edited:

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Right? How annoying that we get a killer new device and now have to Wade thru all this negative crap based on heresay. At least if the people posting these owned the device and was disappointed, that's one thing... But...I saw a tech cover say it's bad, so it's bad is just pointlessly damaging.

AMEN! - real problem is not the Pixel 2 - real problem is People

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

Gracious... Another one of these... Listen, if you feel that strongly about things tell it to Google customer feedback. Telling us all about it isn't going to change anything. I'll even help you out and get you started.

https://www.google.com/tools/feedback/intl/en/

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, I assume that there IS a problem but am guessing that it will not really bother me. There has been a lot of hype on this but a few reporters that I trust like Jerry Hildenbrand have said it is so. So it must be True.

I am disappointed and it has been a roller coaster ride since I ordered it 3 weeks ago. FedEx says Wednesday delivery so will reserve judgement until I get it. I am guessing that unless I get a true quality control dud, I will be plenty happy. Then I can worry about my $400 for returning my OG XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae