Pixel 2 Always On Display - are you using it?

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
So I've had my Pixel 2 (non-XL) for 4 days now and love it. Having used a Pixel XL for the last 12 months I can honestly say I've not missed the extra size at all. Yet!

I'm currently trying to work out what difference using AOD makes to the battery life. Some days I use it, some I don't.

I think I'll end up leaving it on as I tend to want to use features as opposed to disabling them, but what is the verdict for you? Are you using it or did you disable it?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
it makes a difference....but unless you literally spend all day staring at your phone, it doesn't effect our enough to disable it. I had it off for a few days and ended each day at about 75% left. enabled it and now playing and ended last night at about 11pm (off charger since 4:45am) at 35%.

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have used it since day one, I love the feature and as long as my battery makes it through the day I am fine with it. So far I have been very pleased with the battery life on the Pixel 2, I also came from the XL and that was my biggest worry.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Mine is set to on for tap or lift to wake not always on ,I do find Notifications are kinda small on that screen

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I do. I like how it shows the content of a message for a brief period, the Samsung one doesn't do that. I wish it worked when running Android Auto though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I keep it off. I just have double tap to wake and I use that if I need to look at something.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
AOD = On
Now Playing = Off

I don't believe this configuration has a major impact on battery life. In fact, I think the P2XL has truly excellent battery life.

As for Now Playing, the music that it is primarily able to identify is *not* the music that I care for. I'm a 50's/60's/70's/Sinatra kind of guy and, if I really want to know what's playing I just open the Assistant and ask "what's this song?" and get my answer in a few seconds.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
AOD = On
Now Playing = Off

I don't believe this configuration has a major impact on battery life. In fact, I think the P2XL has truly excellent battery life.

As for Now Playing, the music that it is primarily able to identify is *not* the music that I care for. I'm a 50's/60's/70's/Sinatra kind of guy and, if I really want to know what's playing I just open the Assistant and ask "what's this song?" and get my answer in a few seconds.

I agree on the now what's playing. It's cool a cool feature but it doesn't really help me out. I can find the name of a song really quick

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I keep it on. I dislike watches and haven't worn one in years, so having time and date available at a glance is very useful. I like that the Always On Display works with the proximity sensor and automatically turns the screen completely off when in my pocket or face down. I easily get an entire day of battery life with several hours of on-screen time.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I keep AOD off/double tap to wake on
:)

On a side note I dont like watches either.
So I dont wear them

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza