Why pay $200 more for the 2 XL?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I prefer LG over HTC, had great luck with the N5.

Loving the great screen(0 issues) battery lasts ludicrously long. I like the small bezels and it fits my hand well.

My 2nd choice would be the non XL. I do not buy any phones other than Google's. So other phones are never in the running. Not a fan of iOS.

Truth be told I hold Google stock and Apple...I want both companies to do well. I buy iPhones for my daughter. For me it's always Google.

Dismaster

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
This is a genuine question, as I have both the Pixel 2 and 2 XL pre-ordered - fwiw, I'm coming from windows phone to Android for the first time here...

It dawned on me this morning that when I was in a similar predicament with Microsoft's 950 flagship, I justified the extra $150 from the XL because of the bigger battery, the bigger screen, better design, gorilla glass 4 v 3 on smaller 950 and most importantly, the newer SOC (810 vs 808 on smaller 950) and better processor (octa vs. hecta).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd be paying $200 more for the pixel 2 XL for a bigger screen, better design and bigger battery. Nothing else.

Curious on any one else's thoughts here as I view this as an egregious overcharge (keep in mind, I'm an outsider, so to speak).

Unless I'm missing something, I will be canceling my XL sticking with the 2.
After owning a Nexus 6 and so the tiny pixel 2 was not an option.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If I were buying a pixel this year it would be the smaller one. It has had far, far less issues reported since roll out.

To be fair, most of the issues of the 2xl reported thus far a less actual issues and more imperfections that may or may not be deal breakers to the more critical buyer. The only real exception that I have seen thus far is the screen burn in reports, and its still up in the air on whether or not that really is indeed a problem. With a now 2 year warranty that doesnt mean a whole lot now either.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Besides larger screen I also wanted higher resolution.

This.

Comparing the 2 at Verizon, the images and texts are so much sharper on the XL. It's funny I don't think I saw one reviewer mention this when telling everyone to go regular pixel because of the bluish tint.🤔

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
IMO you should just do what's best, and that's obviously to go with the iPhone X, 256GB with Apple Care Plus at $1500

uh...what's "best" for you may not be "best" for anyone else, so please don't assert your opinion as fact. Spending $1500 for a phone? Come on. You can get a Pixel 2 XL and a Pixel 2 for that price.

As for it being "future proof" - Apple says that every year. And then the next year, something new comes out and your phone can't do it because it's missing the hardware components.

Unless you buy a new phone several times a year, you'll never live on the bleeding edge for very long. Technology moves too quickly. And if you spend $1500 for a phone, you probably shouldn't buy a new one after a few months.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah bigger screen and battery #1 and #2 . But then again some prefer smaller phones. I can go big or small, but the pixel 2 is just a bit too small for my liking. I'll most likely go with the XL 2. I preordered both hoping to compare them in detail for a few days. But the XL 2 hasn't even shipped yet, so I may have to return pixel 2 and hope I made the right choice.

Also if you use google financing, its only like $10/month more

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
uh...what's "best" for you may not be "best" for anyone else, so please don't assert your opinion as fact. Spending $1500 for a phone? Come on. You can get a Pixel 2 XL and a Pixel 2 for that price.

As for it being "future proof" - Apple says that every year. And then the next year, something new comes out and your phone can't do it because it's missing the hardware components.

Unless you buy a new phone several times a year, you'll never live on the bleeding edge for very long. Technology moves too quickly. And if you spend $1500 for a phone, you probably shouldn't buy a new one after a few months.

lol - sarcasm check?

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, that was certainly sarcasm. $1500 for a phone. lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that was certainly sarcasm. $1500 for a phone. lol

The 256 GB model is 1149 plus tax so we are getting pretty close and if you add in some of the OEM accessories like airbuds and Case we are right there. That's what it will cost my college kid happy...thank God I have only one.

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation as you. I was coming from a Nokia Lumia 1020 with windows(awful) and I decided to order the XL and regular version. The XL is for me, and the regular is for my mom which may come next week.

Anyway, its a hugge upgrade for me considering I'm going to a device with 4.5" screen to 6" and from no apps OS to apps. Go to a verizon store and check out both phones on display to see what fits you more. With the Pixel 2, you're saving $200 for a smaller screen, but its more comfortable with one hand.. And the screen is still nice and doesn't suffer the issues that the XL does. But if you like a phone with a larger screen, better resolution, and more battery life and the blue tint isn't a big deal, then perhaps choose XL.

Last edited:

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I keep looking at the Pixel 2 and see it's appeal for "pocketability" and one handed use.

It's an even more compelling argument because it has the same internals and camera.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I got the white P2 from Google today. I really like it but it's an adjustment from the S8+. I have the Panda P2 coming tomorrow from Verizon. I look forward to trying that out. I do really like how the P2 is so pocketable.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep looking at the Pixel 2 and see it's appeal for "pocketability" and one handed use.

It's an even more compelling argument because it has the same internals and camera.
That's exactly the reason I went with the Pixel 2. After two years with the Nexus 6P, I was tired of giant phones.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I just went from a 6P to the 2XL and even though it's only slightly thinner, it makes a huge difference in my hand....feels so much better than the 6P. I can't say enough how nice this phone is.

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site

This is the exact reason why I thinking asking $200 more for an extra inch with the same internals (screen-gate aside), is outrageous. I will be sticking with P2 that's should be delivered today, until the next MSFT announcement and see how I feel about android by then (this will be my first android phone).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is the exact reason why I thinking asking $200 more for an extra inch with the same internals (screen-gate aside), is outrageous. I will be sticking with P2 that's should be delivered today, until the next MSFT announcement and see how I feel about android by then (this will be my first android phone).

If it hasn't already been pointed out to you the XL is a higher resolution.

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
If it hasn't already been pointed out to you the XL is a higher resolution.

It's been pointed out, and I understand that. I had a quadHD amoled, and a 1080 LCD. Honestly, could barely noticed the difference so for me the screen isn't paramount. Just my preference.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Riddle me this. Why is the smaller iPhone X more expensive than the iPhone 8 plus. It's a taller iPhone 8 for $300 more. The reason... because Apple. And, sadly, they set market pricing. Expect the Pixel 3 to have a smaller, bezel free version....and the price to jump up again.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Riddle me this. Why is the smaller iPhone X more expensive than the iPhone 8 plus. It's a taller iPhone 8 for $300 more. The reason... because Apple. And, sadly, they set market pricing. Expect the Pixel 3 to have a smaller, bezel free version....and the price to jump up again.

IMO, the market and trends dictate what companies do. In some sort of complex equation (that I don't understand), companies such as Apple, Samsung, Google, Huawei, etc. are jumping on the bezeless design and loaded-to-the-hilt with features smartphones.

Its like Apple took a page from Samsung and created a PRO version to rival the Note line.

So now we have flagships in 2 sizes, and then ultra-high end devices. Its nothing new, but since Apple is doing it, the iPhone X is ironically something to talk about.

LG - V30
Huawei - Mate 10 Pro
Samsung - Note 8
One Plus - OP5T

These companies know many (not all) people are willing to pay top dollar for the "best" smartphone. Instead of adding features into their flagship phones, companies reserve the very best for their ultra high end devices. Sprinkle in a new feature or two on the flagship and bump the price just a little.

Its funny because I'm sure we are paying for the "cost" of removing a headphone jack.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown