Why pay $200 more for the 2 XL?

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
This is a genuine question, as I have both the Pixel 2 and 2 XL pre-ordered - fwiw, I'm coming from windows phone to Android for the first time here...

It dawned on me this morning that when I was in a similar predicament with Microsoft's 950 flagship, I justified the extra $150 from the XL because of the bigger battery, the bigger screen, better design, gorilla glass 4 v 3 on smaller 950 and most importantly, the newer SOC (810 vs 808 on smaller 950) and better processor (octa vs. hecta).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd be paying $200 more for the pixel 2 XL for a bigger screen, better design and bigger battery. Nothing else.

Curious on any one else's thoughts here as I view this as an egregious overcharge (keep in mind, I'm an outsider, so to speak).

Unless I'm missing something, I will be canceling my XL sticking with the 2.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much as you said for the bigger screen & battery. I prefer big screen phones so I dropped the extra cash on it. I also dropped extra to have 128 GB.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the bigger screen; having had several "big screen" phones in a row now, I don't think I could go back to a small one.

OTOH, I was getting an old Nexus 5 ready to list on Swappa the other day and I was pleasantly reminded of just how great the 5 fits my hand.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the bigger screen; having had several "big screen" phones in a row now, I don't think I could go back to a small one.

OTOH, I was getting an old Nexus 5 ready to list on Swappa the other day and I was pleasantly reminded of just how great the 5 fits my hand.

Yeah, I pick up my wife's iPhone and the 4.7" screen looks like a tiny toy to me now. (Coming from 6p, Pixel XL and now Pixel 2 XL)

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have both the 2 XL and 2, honestly the Pixel 2 screen feels very small to me. Screen is better and feels great and all I agree, but I think I'm used to bigger screens now and the Pixel 2 screen feels small. Battery life has been surprisingly good on the Pixel 2 as well even with smaller battery size. I'm still torn which one to keep, most likely will keep the 2 XL and return the Pixel 2. But if you are ok with the smaller screen and bezels (which don't bother me too much), Pixel 2 is a great option.

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I have both the 2 XL and 2, honestly the Pixel 2 screen feels very small to me. Screen is better and feels great and all I agree, but I think I'm used to bigger screens now and the Pixel 2 screen feels small. Battery life has been surprisingly good on the Pixel 2 as well even with smaller battery size. I'm still torn which one to keep, most likely will keep the 2 XL and return the Pixel 2. But if you are ok with the smaller screen and bezels (which don't bother me too much), Pixel 2 is a great option.

I think I'll manage with the bezels. The iphone 8 still has roughly the same size bezels, right? ;)

klagos

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
IMO you should just do what's best, and that's obviously to go with the iPhone X, 256GB with Apple Care Plus at $1500, its practically future proof. Not only is it almost completely bezel-less (the kid at the Apple Store told me not to sweat the black bezel that cuts off the top part of the screen. He said I would get used it in no time, and may even find that I really like it), but it also has revolutionary new facial recognition tech. I'm sure you've read all the research behind the incredible design team that found that by removing the headphone jack, they were able to remove at least 6 oz from the case which increased ergonomics at least 10x (the kid at the Apple Store also told me this, he said he has an inside source). All in all, you really cant go wrong. They really went all out, and I didn't even get into software.. I didn't want to bore you with all that, but this is the first phone fully optimized on iOS 11 which among other things offers a ton of new emojis.

Take it with a grain of salt, but total disclosure, I am NOT a fan boy. I only got the 6, 6S, and 7, (skipped the 8) so I'm due for an upgrade since its a total re-design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
IMO you should just do what's best, and that's obviously to go with the iPhone X, 256GB with Apple Care Plus at $1500, its practically future proof. Not only is it almost completely bezel-less (the kid at the Apple Store told me not to sweat the black bezel that cuts off the top part of the screen. He said I would get used it in no time, and may even find that I really like it), but it also has revolutionary new facial recognition tech. I'm sure you've read all the research behind the incredible design team that found that by removing the headphone jack, they were able to remove at least 6 oz from the case which increased ergonomics at least 10x (the kid at the Apple Store also told me this, he said he has an inside source). All in all, you really cant go wrong. They really went all out, and I didn't even get into software.. I didn't want to bore you with all that, but this is the first phone fully optimized on iOS 11 which among other things offers a ton of new emojis.

Take it with a grain of salt, but total disclosure, I am NOT a fan boy. I only got the 6, 6S, and 7, (skipped the 8) so I'm due for an upgrade since its a total re-design.

lawl - s/ i laughed

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Lol. Thanks.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
If I were buying a pixel this year it would be the smaller one. It has had far, far less issues reported since roll out.

Guto Aaron

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I ordered both at one point too, but cancelled my Pixel 2 in favour of 2XL. For me the big screen and big battery was nice, but the better design was the deciding factor. Pixel 2 and iPhone 8 just look unimpressive by now!

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Definitely helpful to hear everyone's rationale, and glad the negative press isn't actually deterring most of us from viewing both phones in the same light.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01