Blue Notification Light

GBArcade

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Hey All!

My notification light is almost constantly blinking blue however I don't have any notifications in the pull down shade. I'm trying to figure out what app is causing this but can't seem to so far.

It's not a text, email notifications are off, I don't have FB/Twitter/IG installed. I also went through my app drawer and looked for the notification dot and there wasn't one on any of the apps.

Is there a way to see a list of apps that flash the notification light or another way of figuring out what's causing this?

I don't have Light Flow or Light Manager installed so it's not a bug with those. I did install Light Manager to see if it could give me some insight but it didn't. Light Manager assigns a blue light to calendar notifications but I have those turned off and for giggles I turned off all notifications that were showing active in Light Manager and the blue light still flashed. I then uninstalled Light Manager since I don't have a need for it.

Any help would be much appreciated! The only thing I know to do at this point is to turn off the LED notification light altogether. I guess that's not an awful solution but I'd rather figure out which app is causing the issue if I can.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I saw the blue led for a while and now it's always green! Seems to come on for every notifacation.

It's as if Google is depending on us using a 3rd party app.

Specifically I don't really now...I would turn it off but I like pretty lights..even if I do not need them.

ronc00

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue but want to add...I turned off my notification light and it turns itself back on. Then continues to blink blue at a rather fast pace. If I reboot, it goes away until I get another notification. Very buggy!

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
For me I have an app that tracks packages that uses blue. White seems to be default for gmail. you can go into settings and see which apps are allowed to give notifications. I'd say turn em all off, turn them back on one by one, see which one triggers it.

GBArcade

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Finally figured it out! The light started blinking again today so I just went through every single app in setting and started blocking notifications until it went away. Turns out it was Next SMS. I used Next on my Nexus 6P but decided to try out the standard messaging app on my Pixel. I still installed Next SMS but I didn't set it up. Not sure why it was blinking the light thought...maybe a bug or something? It's not like it would blink when a text would come in. It would just randomly start blinking for no reason. But I uninstalled since I'm liking the default app and now I'm good to go!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've not seen my light yet, not sure it is working even tho I enabled it. How noticeable is it?

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I've not seen my light yet, not sure it is working even tho I enabled it. How noticeable is it?
If you can use a different phone to call yourself and see if you get a blinking light in the right upper corner, doesn't blink very often and not that big, I installed light manager Pro to adjust my settings with the blink light, now I can set colors for anything, example Amber for charging green for 100%
It's been reported that this is not working with some of the regular pixels

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If you can use a different phone to call yourself and see if you get a blinking light in the right upper corner, doesn't blink very often and not that big, I installed light manager Pro to adjust my settings with the blink light, now I can set colors for anything, example Amber for charging green for 100%
It's been reported that this is not working with some of the regular pixels

I don't think it's working. I don't have a second line to use to call it, but nothing else shows up like emails,texts, calendar etc. Not a big deal, certainly not a critical feature or one I'd even use. I can live without it, was curious about it tho. (P2 non xl)

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it's working. I don't have a second line to use to call it, but nothing else shows up like emails,texts, calendar etc. Not a big deal, certainly not a critical feature or one I'd even use. I can live without it, was curious about it tho. (P2 non xl)
Try opening your email app example Gmail inside the app itself settings, General, manage notifications, I think I also turned the light on there, and I also use Yahoo mail and then enabled it there too

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.
I didn't see a setting for LED notification light in my Gmail settings. However, my texts LED started to work all by itself. So more investigations upcoming. Really liking this phone tho, Battery life is phenomenal.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Gmail settings, maybe there's more than one application for this to,, after you open gmail you have to scroll down to the bottom of the list
eb894438ce47224a25af0865a2a21891.jpg
467240813337dfa32881652de2344a41.jpg

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't seem to get the led for Facebook or messenger notifications like previous phones of mine. Everything else is fine though.

anon(9681881)

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I have not seen the notification light because one of the first things I do with a new phone is to shut off every single notification light in every program. They are an unnecessary pain in the butt. I just wish they would put in a master switch so I could turn them all off at once instead of having to open each individual app to turn off the light.

sesinger

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I just got 2 XL and the notification light doesn't seem to work. I have Blink Light turned on but either calls nor mail seem to have any effect. Thoughts?

Update -- It works when the screen is off. When the screen is on the LED doesn't come on or turns off. On my BB Priv running Marshmallow the LED stayed on until I cleared the notification that triggered it.

Last edited: