'Light bleed only on home screen'

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, exactly what mine looked like. So as of now the only 'fix' for this is to use Nova launcher, or another launcher?

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm noticing that too with my dark wall paper thought I had a perfect phone
Yep same wallpaper in Nova not seeing it.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm noticing that too with my dark wall paper thought I had a perfect phone
Yep same wallpaper in Nova not seeing it.

That's good, so it isn't a serious issue then if using a different launcher fixes it. I'll probably re-buy the Pixel 2 once 8.1 releases in a few weeks. I do miss it. Thanks for checking it out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've tried different wallpapers, and as mentioned before the light bleed is not there when using nova launcher and action launcher. So I'm certain it's not the wallpaper

What is everyone's advice? I guess it's just software so maybe it will be fixed next update? Should I try a factory reset? Or ring google and see if I can swap the phone?

I dont know what it is you guys are seeing but it's not light bleed. Yet we keep referring to it as light bleed and I have yet to be able to identify what it is from any of the pictures posted.

Last edited:

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes, exactly what mine looked like. So as of now the only 'fix' for this is to use Nova launcher, or another launcher?

Or use a non black wallpaper for a week or two til the update arrives. To make sure that happens contact Google to let them know your having the issue too to make sure they know it's not just a one off :)

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I dont know what it is you guys are seeing but it's not light bleed. Yet we keep referring to it as light bleed and in have yet to be able to identify what it is from any of the pictures posted.

Sorry the only reason I call it that is because that is what it looks like therefore the easiest way to describe what it looks like. I know it isn't light bleed though. Maybe we can all agree on an alternative descriptor ;)

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
That almost looks like the launcher is applying some sort of gradiant or color mapping to the status bar or parts of the status bar incorrectly.

Also, as said if another launcher fixes the issue then it is definitely a software issue and not hardware which is good.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That almost looks like the launcher is applying some sort of gradiant or color mapping to the status bar or parts of the status bar incorrectly.

Also, as said if another launcher fixes the issue then it is definitely a software issue and not hardware which is good.

I did some experimenting based on what I'm hearing on the V30.
I don't know if this similar but with a black wallpaper and Pixel launcher I notice a gradient effect on the bottom that grows as you scroll up. Is this similar to what you are seeing?

Attachments

• 10326.jpg
    10326.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 37

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's a second shot where I start to scroll up. In this case I think it's deliberate in the launcher design

Attachments

• 10328.jpg
    10328.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 32

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Here's a second shot where I start to scroll up. In this case I think it's deliberate in the launcher design

The fade on the lock screen is in the top half not the bottom half. If it's deliberate I don't like it....to my eyes it doesn't look like an interesting design, just looks like my screen is faded :)

The homescreen issue is a thin bar of light at the top of the screen

The easiest way to find out if it's deliberate or not would be if people who don't have any of these things happening could comment and say what phone they have. I saw a 5 inch pixel 2 with a black wallpaper in a droid life video and I didn't see the bar of light at the top of the homescreen in that video

I'm interested to know if this is on ALL pixel 2s or just some, and is it happening on any XLs.

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
There are some overlays in the stock launcher, I think this is purely a software effect. Who knows if Google agrees that it's a problem or ultimately decides it's not the best design.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The fade on the lock screen is in the top half not the bottom half. If it's deliberate I don't like it....to my eyes it doesn't look like an interesting design, just looks like my screen is faded :)

The easiest way to find out if it's deliberate or not would be if people who don't have any of these things happening could comment and say what phone they have. I saw a 5 inch pixel 2 with a black wallpaper in a droid life video and I didn't see the bar of light at the top of the homescreen in that video

I'm interested to know if this is on ALL pixel 2s or just some, and is it happening on any XLs.
Well, if it happens on stock Launcher but not on Nova launcher, that automatically rules it as a software 'issue' on the Pixel launcher. If it was hardware, it should occur regardless of launcher. Whether it was deliberate or not though...

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Well, if it happens on stock Launcher but not on Nova launcher, that automatically rules it as a software 'issue' on the Pixel launcher. If it was hardware, it should occur regardless of launcher. Whether it was deliberate or not though...
On my regular pixel 2 it's only on the stock launcher not on Nova

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

It happened to mine that I returned.

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Well update downloaded and this issue remains . Do all pixel 2 (5 inch) owners have this on their phone? Is it on any pixel 2 xls? Anyone WITHOUT the issue please comment and say what phone you have :)

I guess I'll call google back

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea it's not light bleed, but it looks EXACTLY like light bleed. I think it's on purpose - just supposed to hilight the notification bar. I hope they take it out because it's irritating.

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Yea it's not light bleed, but it looks EXACTLY like light bleed. I think it's on purpose - just supposed to hilight the notification bar. I hope they take it out because it's irritating.

Yup, I agree, I want to use a dark theme on my phone but won't because of this issue. It just looks crap, totally takes you out of the beautiful material design of android

I'm not sure if every pixel 2 has the issue, for example watch the droid life 20 tips and tricks video on youtube. He is using a regular pixel 2 with a black background and I can't see this 'light bleed' effect on his phone despite a lot of close up footage of the homescreen with black wallpaper

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

That's exactly what it looks like to me as well. It's clearly a software/UI issue, the question is whether it's considered a bug by Google and get fixed. I hope it does for the sake of those of you using dark themed wallpapers!

Admorris

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever get this resolved? I realize this thread is a few months old, but I just got my 2 xl and it has the EXACT see issue you mention. The home screen doesn't bother me too much because I usually use Nova Launcher anyway, but I like black wallpaper for my lockscreen and the ghosting effect on the top half of the screen annoys me. I ordered a second 2 xl and it had exact same issue as well. Both have build dates on December.

Admorris

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what it looks like to me as well. It's clearly a software/UI issue, the question is whether it's considered a bug by Google and get fixed. I hope it does for the sake of those of you using dark themed wallpapers!

Did you ever get this resolved? I realize this thread is a few months old, but I just got my 2 xl and it has the EXACT see issue you mention. The home screen doesn't bother me too much because I usually use Nova Launcher anyway, but I like black wallpaper for my lockscreen and the ghosting effect on the top half of the screen annoys me. I ordered a second 2 xl and it had exact same issue as well. Both have build dates on December

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1