Extreme delay with voice dictation through Textra

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed when using Textra SMS, there is often an extreme delay between when I talk, and when it transcribes on the screen. Don't know if this is happening to others in other apps or messaging apps.

Edit: sorry about the word 'phoenix' in the title, has nothing to do with the post, my radio is on in the background and it picked it up

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed when using Textra SMS, there is often an extreme delay between when I talk, and when it transcribes on the screen. Don't know if this is happening to others in other apps or messaging apps.

I am using Gboard and I have noticed it happening as well. I think it happened in Hangouts for me as well. It is definitely weird.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I use Textra, but Swiftkey as my keyboard and don't experience any issues using voice. Maybe it's Gboard ..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use Textra, but Swiftkey as my keyboard and don't experience any issues using voice. Maybe it's Gboard ..

Yeah I am leaning towards it being a Gboard bug. It didn't happen w/ Gboard on my S8+ so for me it is either Gboard itself with the Pixel 2 XL or maybe with 8.1 beta.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Also, were you on WiFi or 4G? Who is your carrier? I was at home on my WiFi network.

Should it make a difference? I mean it's my voice going directly to the phone, it's not going over the air until I hit send. So I'm referring just to me speaking directly into the phone 5-10 second delay before it transcribes

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Should it make a difference? I mean it's my voice going directly to the phone, it's not going over the air until I hit send. So I'm referring just to me speaking directly into the phone 5-10 second delay before it transcribes

Actually that isn't right. When you hit the mic button and talk it is sending that to Googles servers which then interpret what you're saying and tells your phone what to type. It doesn't do that on the phone.

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
My Pixel 2 got delivered today and I use Textra so I'll try it out as well. I may not have results until tomorrow night though depending on how much time I have to set things up tonight.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Actually that isn't right. When you hit the mic button and talk it is sending that to Googles servers which then interpret what you're saying and tells your phone what to type. It doesn't do that on the phone.

I never knew. So it goes from my phone to Google then back to my app?