Pixel 2 XL finally beat iPhone X at something.

deng66

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep, Apple knows it has a bigger challenge in managing expectations since most die-hard Apple users have not had as much hands on experience with OLED screens and will not be familiar with the unique characteristics of OLED such as image retention and color shifting. With that being said, I firmly believe that Apple and Samsung don't get hammered nearly as hard as Google has for much worse issues. For example, I went through MANY Galaxy S6's trying to get one that didn't have a screen that was half-green half-pink and I saw nearly no press on that until people started complaining about red-tint on the S8.

As for the Pixel 2 XL, on its own, I think the phone is fine and enjoy using it. My disappointment with the display is not that I think it's objectively bad, I just don't think it's as good as the display on the original Pixel XL and that kind of bothers me. Of course, everyone's use, perception, and experience is different so that's just my opinion!

htc fan89

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
At least with apple if issue does occur you could just go to a local Apple store and complain until you get a replacement. Sadly can't do that with Google.....

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I swear it's time for a newer technology in the screen depart of mobile devices. This OLED burn-in and image retention issue just bothers me...makes me think of using a portable PLASMA television screen. Where's the option to turn my entire screen into snow for 10 minutes before the mobile device auto shuts down.

Has anyone not yet experience the burn-in or image retention while playing a game on their device? I know there are several areas of a game's display that maintain the same image

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
At least with apple if issue does occur you could just go to a local Apple store and complain until you get a replacement. Sadly can't do that with Google.....

I completely agree - and it's because Apple charges high prices it can afford that degree of customer support. Interestingly I've had numerous phones over the years and it has been only my iPhones for which I've ever needed to use that support. A gamble for sure - but at least if you need to do a Google return they will ship out a new phone before you send the old one back.

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah lol. So Android Central writers, now that Apple has stated this is all expected then it MUST be normal and the P2XL doesn't have the garbage screen you continued to bash on about....right?

The number of threads in the Apple forums about color shifting, yellow tinted screens and color issues is laughable. Someone actually said these issues were all because the screen glue hasn't dried yet. Lol. Screen glue.

My P2XL is perfect. No burn in, no color shifting on the status bar, no grain, no burn in and when watching the right content the screen is vibrant and bright.

I get some people had issues, and google did the right thing FAST which is far more than can be said for apple. Yeah you can walk into a store but waiting for apple to stand behind this product with extended coverage takes years.

Oh and my OG Pixel never needed a repair, I've had three iPhones need repairs from failed wifi, bad gps chip to a bad battery. Sure apple fixed them under warranty but so will google, it just isn't as convenient, you need to wait 24 hours for them to send you a new unit...oh the first world humanity of it.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
This is hilarious. Apple is actually helping Google sell Pixels.

Apple says it is OK. Must be OK. You are getting sleepy...

Marketing Geniuses at selling to sheep.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It took me 4 visits (across 7 months) for Apple to replace a new iPhone 7 bought on launch day. That support is overrated. Google overnighted a Pixel to me when I had a microphone issue.

htc fan89

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It took me 4 visits (across 7 months) for Apple to replace a new iPhone 7 bought on launch day. That support is overrated. Google overnighted a Pixel to me when I had a microphone issue.
It depends on the store also, I personally had no problems got it swapped right away.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the store also, I personally had no problems got it swapped right away.
It depends on a lot of things. Same store has swapped out phones for me before. But for some reason with my iPhone 7 they just kept stalling. My point was it's a hit and a miss. Just because they've stores everywhere doesn't mean their service is stellar.

Actually the best in store service has been Microsoft for me.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Color hue shifting = normal
OLED screen burn in = expected

I died laughing while reading this article.

Meanwhile in Android land we got a class action lawsuit against Google.

I wonder if The Verge will update their iPhone X score after this?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/03/iphone-x-oled-burn-in-color-shifting/

Probably not. The Verge is in full Apple Hype Train mode. Plus, they pulled their recommendation for hype as well.

Plus how much of this on the Pixel 2 XL is related to the polarization?

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Probably not. The Verge is in full Apple Hype Train mode. Plus, they pulled their recommendation for hype as well.

Plus how much of this on the Pixel 2 XL is related to the polarization?

I assume the small Pixel 2 has the same polarization and looks totally acceptable (in contrast to at least a significant batch of 2 XLs)

With the reports that some 2 XLs have reduced color shifting I'm hoping LG can get their act together and produce something consistently good in 2018. (I realize some people are happy with their display, not trying to antagonize it's just my opinion)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I find if you calmly explain the issue and say clearly what you want customer service reps usually do it or get a manager to. No matter what absurd suggestions they make I reply Great idea! I thought that would work but I tried and it didn't. I would like a replacement phone please. Oh I'm sure the update will help may I have a replacement phone now please? Yes great phones in every other way and I know apple will make it right. May I exchange for a replacement phone now please? No I'm sorry I will be traveling so I can't wait for tomorrow's update may I have a replacement phone please? I just keep repeating what I want after agreeing with everything they say and refuse to lose my temper.Somtimes I have to ask for a manager but never turned away empty handed. Not once. That said I usually seek customer service in VZW store not Apple store.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Side by side, the X's hue tint is nowhere near as bad as my P2XL. It may be there, yes, but it's barely noticeable. This is the closest I've come in the last six years to being tempted away from Android but I still prefer my P2XL.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Color hue shifting = normal
OLED screen burn in = expected

I died laughing while reading this article.

Meanwhile in Android land we got a class action lawsuit against Google.

I wonder if The Verge will update their iPhone X score after this?

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/03/iphone-x-oled-burn-in-color-shifting/

Well they aren't lying, those are all perks of using OLED screens. With that being said, at least they used a samsung panel versus the garbage LG puts out.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I wish no manufacturer would use OLED. I have an iPhone X and I have a slight blueish hue when tilting the phone off axis, but I don't have the graininess of the LG panels like on the Pixel 2 XL. I would much prefer a high-quality LCD panel for a display, even if it uses slightly more battery power than OLED. Burn-in happens on LCDs, but at least it goes away after 10 minutes or so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2