iPhone X

Userexists

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
So I ran into my friend today who just got his iPhone X. He is a long time iPhone user and swears by them. To each their own. He took one look at my pixel 2xl and the exact words out of his mouth. “ holy s**t man that screen is huge and looks amazing. How much was that?” So much for all the screen hubbub. Well I told him and watched the light go out of his eyes that he spent $500 more than me for the iPhone. He also couldn’t stand faceId and was very disappointed with the lack of fingerprint sensor.

A few little tid bits about the iPhone. With all the iPhone light themed apps they are even worse than google haha. The bar at the top is the only thing I could look at, it makes the shade at the top look terrible. It felt very nice in hand, very solid. At the same time though slippery and fragile (glass back). Lastly I did activate at least 2 things I didn’t intend to due to the size and lack of bezels.

He asked me more questions than he ever has about my phone and android. As well as do I have any more questions about his new phone. I said I had one years and years ago it’s almost exactly the same, but I’ll let him know if I think of any. Lastly before he left I caught him on the google store looking at the pixel 2. So may have another convert guys.

I do think I found a really good set up that shows what the pixel is capable of. This was taken with a iPad camera so it’s not great, but it gives an idea. Brightness at 30% too.

Attachments

• 24533185-1859-45D9-91F1-A6E6F48FC120.jpg
    24533185-1859-45D9-91F1-A6E6F48FC120.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Most apple people want to be led like sheep and told how to use their phone.
My wife has a 8 plus, my company gave me a 6s plus.
Neither has swayed me in the least from the Pixel XL and now Pixel 2 XL.
If they weren't so close minded, they would switch

Userexists

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I agree 100% pixelfan56. I don’t really care what people use I use what I like. I have an iPad and a Mac and love them. I also have a pc. I will never have another iPhone though as far as phones go they are just not for me.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
also read in multiple reviews (the verge, CNET) that iphone X face ID works "most of the time", well my pixel 2 XL fingerprint scanner works like butter ALL of the time...
That would annoy me immensely

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Would take fingerprint sensor over Face ID every day, my time with the S8 has only reaffirmed my thoughts on this (using iris scanner)

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I played with an X last night and did not like it one bit. That bar is distracting. The screen is nothing spectacular like Apple would have you think. And the lack of a home button and fingerprint scanner would be a deal breaker for me.

I will say I have a 7+ and am far from the typical sheeple. The one thing good I will say about it is it works without fail. Never had a single issue out of it or my previous 6+. Which is what I need in a phone. Nor have I had an issue with any iOS release in the two years I have been using it. Beyond that iOS is boring. I do miss Android.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
So I ran into my friend today who just got his iPhone X. He is a long time iPhone user and swears by them. To each their own. He took one look at my pixel 2xl and the exact words out of his mouth. “ holy s**t man that screen is huge and looks amazing. How much was that?” So much for all the screen hubbub. Well I told him and watched the light go out of his eyes that he spent $500 more than me for the iPhone. He also couldn’t stand faceId and was very disappointed with the lack of fingerprint sensor.

A few little tid bits about the iPhone. With all the iPhone light themed apps they are even worse than google haha. The bar at the top is the only thing I could look at, it makes the shade at the top look terrible. It felt very nice in hand, very solid. At the same time though slippery and fragile (glass back). Lastly I did activate at least 2 things I didn’t intend to due to the size and lack of bezels.

He asked me more questions than he ever has about my phone and android. As well as do I have any more questions about his new phone. I said I had one years and years ago it’s almost exactly the same, but I’ll let him know if I think of any. Lastly before he left I caught him on the google store looking at the pixel 2. So may have another convert guys.

I do think I found a really good set up that shows what the pixel is capable of. This was taken with a iPad camera so it’s not great, but it gives an idea. Brightness at 30% too.

And once he switches to Android he will figure out all the quirkiness and inconsistencies that come along with android that he never had to deal with on iOS. Friends don’t try to persuade friends to switch phones. It’s a loosing proposition.

jredecop82

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
also read in multiple reviews (the verge, CNET) that iphone X face ID works "most of the time", well my pixel 2 XL fingerprint scanner works like butter ALL of the time...

I used trusted face on my pixel 2 XL as well as my finger print sensor and love the combo! My phone unlocks so fast and I can reply from lock screen without unlocking with this set up. Well I guess it's still unlocking, but with trusted face it stays on the lock screen and doesn't go to the home screen.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And once he switches to Android he will figure out all the quirkiness and inconsistencies that come along with android that he never had to deal with on iOS. Friends don’t try to persuade friends to switch phones. It’s a loosing proposition.

That happens anytime you switch from something you're used to to something you're not. Switch from Mac to Windows or vice versa, switch from a Ford to a Chevy or vice versa, etc, etc. There's a learning curve whenever you try something new. Regardless, perhaps the guy might decide the benefits outweigh the quirkiness and inconsistencies.

Every Xmas my nephew and I try each other's phones, (he has an iPhone). With each passing year, he gets closer to giving Android a chance, and every year I feel more comfortable in my decision going with Android. The reason being is that each year Android gets a bit more polished, whereas for the most part, iOS seems the same as the first time I tried it. If I wasn't wowed enough to switch the first time I tried it, nothing since has changed that opinion. I'm sure if I spent more meaningful time with iOS I'd find things that would fall under quirks or inconsistencies.

If I were to ever switch, it wouldn't be because of iOS itself, it would be for accessory availability and support. If I had something like iMessage on my phone I might be reluctant to leave it, but at the same time it wouldn't be something that would get me to switch platforms just to have it.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Most of my friends and family are on iPhones and would never consider switching.

The reason iMessage. They all chat with each other on iMessage and moving to Andoid would put them out of the loop. Also, it is a status thing, my daughter would not be caught dead in HS with a non-iphone.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
So i have p2 XL and the iPhone x every one is talking about the the blue color shift on the XL but why is no talking about the crazy colorshift on the x trust me it's there goes to blue very easy

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Apple went through a lot of trouble just to avoid admitting that they put the fingerprint scanner on the wrong side of the phone. Face recognition seems less efficient than just putting your finger on the back of the phone where Android fingerprint sensors are placed. A front mounted fingerprint sensor, where Apple placed it, is awkward but the back mounted sensor on the Pixel 2s, and the Nexus 6P before it, is located where you would normally place your finger anyway.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Apple went through a lot of trouble just to avoid admitting that they put the fingerprint scanner on the wrong side of the phone. Face recognition seems less efficient than just putting your finger on the back of the phone where Android fingerprint sensors are placed. A front mounted fingerprint sensor, where Apple placed it, is awkward but the back mounted sensor on the Pixel 2s, and the Nexus 6P before it, is located where you would normally place your finger anyway.

No its not, I am not a fan of ios but my daughter uses her thumbs and she can activate her sensor as quick as I can on her i6S. My Pixel 2 xl gets to home screen twice as fast, but that is expected.

I asked this specific question to her to find out which was more convenient, I prefer the back but the front using the thumb is just as fast.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

True but you miss the point. Your talking about the home button which was not also a finger print sensor until the last several years. It made perfect sense to combine the two function on the same button and moving the home button to the back of the phone made no sense. Now that hey are abandoning the home button a different approach to authentication make sense. Is it better then a finger print sensor? Time will tell but if there is one thing Apple does well is think these things through over long periods of time before we see the change.

Userexists

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site

Oh yeah I agree that’s why I just answered his questions. Didn’t push anything on him. Tech like politics and religion minds can’t be persuaded. Just gotta let people make up their own minds.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm no Apple fan although I have a 7 because I'm a tech fan. But the face ID thing sounds annoying at times like being in a meeting or such where it's going to be obvious your're using your phone.
But my one gripe with the Pixel and I know I'm in the minority is the FP scan on the backside. I seldom carry my phone in my pants pocket, usually my shirt and at home it's flat on a table or desk so how is this covvenient? Also all cases have a hole in the back, DUH! I know. But loving the pixel and the iPhone 7 has been put in hyper sleep for a good long while. I hope I never have to pay over a grand for a phone ever!

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I got both phones so I could use them side by side and make a decision. Coming from Samsung 8 I love wireless charging, but the iPhone x is nice but liking the Pixel XL it feels better in the hand, its a lot thinner to!

Watch a lot of live sports and Pixel delivers a much better picture and wider too!

If one is paying that much for a phone got to get rid of that top bezel!

Not a android or apple fan just use what works for me. Face ID is nice and works good but I can voice unlock my Pixel and not have to even pick up the phone!

Sending iPhone back today no comparison and for a $182 more...not worth it!

Camara on Pixel is better all the way around!

ALready rumors with X that burn in is happening and Apple change its policy now to advice users of the issue!

Pixel is now wireless with a QI adapter behing the case!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...www.ebay.com/i/112213388198?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Last edited:

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm no Apple fan although I have a 7 because I'm a tech fan. But the face ID thing sounds annoying at times like being in a meeting or such where it's going to be obvious your're using your phone.
But my one gripe with the Pixel and I know I'm in the minority is the FP scan on the backside. I seldom carry my phone in my pants pocket, usually my shirt and at home it's flat on a table or desk so how is this covvenient? Also all cases have a hole in the back, DUH! I know. But loving the pixel and the iPhone 7 has been put in hyper sleep for a good long while. I hope I never have to pay over a grand for a phone ever!

At my desk I use a magnetic stand to keep the phone upright so using the finger print scanner is simple. Also when picking up and holding phone the back FP scanner is fine.

However, last night, went out to eat a family birthday meal, phone was flat on table. To check some college scores real quick I had to pick up the phone to get to the finger print scanner making more obvious I was peeking at my phone during a fancy meal.

The best spot is the front bottom but with all screen putting it this is no longer possible. When tech advances enough, the finger print scanner will be back at the front bottom of phones unless everyone follows Apples lead and adds great facial recognition.

I guess a case with a built in kickstand would do the trick when eating out, but still I would need to do the old reach-around to touch the figure print scanner.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have a Pixel 2 (both small and large), picked up the iPhone X yesterday. Great phone, the build and feel in the hand is so much better than Pixel, screen is great as well. On the face ID, I agree it's kind of irritating. It works great and all but it's adding additional delay every time I pick up and need to look at the phone. Definitely step back compared to touch id. It would have been great if both touch id and face id was there. Need to see how much it bothers me from not using it as a daily driver for a while.

PS: I always have both iPhone and Android phones and keep switching sims between them through out the year. So couldn't care about one platform is better than another, this company is great, that company is great etc. I just like enjoying good tech and gadgets.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I use both, have a XL 2 and the X. They are both great phones, but the X makes my XL 2's display look even worse. They both have blue tint off axis, but my XL 2 is way worse. Face ID has worked almost every time for me so far, so pick up the phone and it is unlocked, but the XL 2 fingerprint is faster. All in all, two great phone that I will continue to use, just wish the XL 2 display was up to par.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois