Real world data reception vs the iPhone

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I've seen several people on here using the Pixel 2 XL and an iPhone. Or others that came from an iPhone. I was wondering how the data reception of the XL 2 compares to the iPhone. Especially inside buildings with not great reception and in fringe areas. My 7+ is pretty good in both situations. I went to look at the XL again. This time in Best Buy. And I'm pretty sure I can live with the display. This one looked much better than the one at the VZW store. Really anxious to come back to Android. But I do need really good data reception.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I went from an HTC 10 which had an OK Rf strength, to an iPhone 7 which could hold a signal much better any where. Now I've got the Pixel 2 and while I thought he iPhone 7 was really good I believe the Pixel 2 is even a little better. Very pleased with it. However as the above post mentions there's more to it than just that. Type of building, carrier tower location etc. Since I travel the same routes every day and hang out in the same areas most of the time I can easily see my pixel is slightly better in signal strength. I have an app that measures it on both devices so I feel I had a pretty good idea. Hope this helps.
EDIT: This is a pixel 2 non XL

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
On VZW. And pretty much any building that would normally have weak reception. I'm just looking for a comparison from anyone who has used an iPhone, 6 or higher, and a Pixel 2 in the same types of environments. Especially in fringe areas not close to towers.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
On VZW. And pretty much any building that would normally have weak reception. I'm just looking for a comparison from anyone who has used an iPhone, 6 or higher, and a Pixel 2 in the same types of environments. Especially in fringe areas not close to towers.

I posted this in another thread, but about a week ago I was in an area with low signal strength. Normally I drive through the area going somewhere else, but I had car troubles (needed a tow and it took 2hrs to get a tow truck there). So I spent 2 hrs in that bad signal area. In the past if I was on a call before entering the area, a phone would drop the call somewhere in this area. In that 2hrs I spent there I made several calls and surfed the web for around maybe 1/2hr to 45mins. Never had any issues with either voice or data.

Now, like cbreze, I have the regular Pixel 2 and like you I'm on Verizon. The phones I am referring to aren't iPhones, but Motorola Android's from 2013 to 2015 and a Huawei Nexus 6p. Motorola phones are known for their stout cellular radios (they were the company that pioneered the cell phone) o they should be as good or better than an iPhone. While my last Pixel 1 was better than them, it would still sometimes have issues in that area. But my experience with the Pixel 2 was almost like I was at home with our LTE Network Extender covering the house. I didn't do a check to see what the signal strength actually was mind you, but it performed better than any phone I've previously used. Hope that helps.

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but about a week ago I was in an area with low signal strength. Normally I drive through the area going somewhere else, but I had car troubles (needed a tow and it took 2hrs to get a tow truck there). So I spent 2 hrs in that bad signal area. In the past if I was on a call before entering the area, a phone would drop the call somewhere in this area. In that 2hrs I spent there I made several calls and surfed the web for around maybe 1/2hr to 45mins. Never had any issues with either voice or data.

Now, like cbreze, I have the regular Pixel 2 and like you I'm on Verizon. The phones I am referring to aren't iPhones, but Motorola Android's from 2013 to 2015 and a Huawei Nexus 6p. Motorola phones are known for their stout cellular radios (they were the company that pioneered the cell phone) o they should be as good or better than an iPhone. While my last Pixel 1 was better than them, it would still sometimes have issues in that area. But my experience with the Pixel 2 was almost like I was at home with our LTE Network Extender covering the house. I didn't do a check to see what the signal strength actually was mind you, but it performed better than any phone I've previously used. Hope that helps.

Actually a pretty good comparison. I was a huge fan of Motorola phones. Had several starting with the OG Droid. Always had great reception with them. Which is why I stuck with them. I mean that is what Motorola does. I did have an LG G2 as well, and I will say it actually had pretty comparable reception to Motorola for my conditions.

Still would like to hear similar situations using iPhones since that is what I currently have and need to do a comparison of.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say. The field test mode to see -dBm wasn't available on my friends X so I couldn't truly compare. Comparing cell bars from different phones is useless since they're different. Only the true -dBm score shows the truth.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone 7 on Verizon and a Pixel 2. Pixel 2 has worked better for me. iPhone would drop data in fringe areas where the Pixel 2 has not. This just happened to me last week when I switched back to the iPhone for a day while I reset my Pixel due to some email issues. I was also allowing my Skinomi protector to set up for a day on the Pixel before I carried it around. iPhone 7 was not as reliable.

returnmyjedi

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I have a Pixel 2 for my own use and an iPhone 7 Plus through work, both on the same network. Without exception the Pixel has better reception than the iPhone, managing to connect to 4G when the fruity product can only achieve a 3G signal and sometimes no connection at all.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
At one place that I work north of where I live, my iPhone will drop 4G LTE down to 1x where my Pixel 2 will maintain 4G. I'm not disappointed with my Pixel 2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance