A short review of the Zagg Invisible Shield Glass+ for the Pixel 2 (non-XL)

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
So I decided to get one of these for my new Pixel 2. It's the first time I am using a tempered glass protector on any phone.

So off the bat, it was pretty easy to install given that the only cutouts it has are for the upper and lower speakers. It really looks like the photo in the product page. These are basically just "U" shaped cutouts on the top and bottom of the protector.

It's completely clear (unlike some of the protectors I am seeing in Amazon) hence why I got it in the first place. It covers the front-facing camera but so far it doesn't seem to affect the pictures I am taking. I don't know if this will be a pro or con in the long run. I have to test this out further and see if it hinders the Pixel 2's excellent front-facing camera.

Installation was simple enough. The yellow backing film made it easy to line up the protector on the phone. Once you have it lined-up, you're almost guaranteed a bubble-free installation provided you made sure your screen was very clean. Zagg provides a microfiber cloth as well as sticky tape to help you clean your screen.

It leaves ample room on the screen edges for those that use cases. Actually, I think it's a tad narrow and short. I lined it up pretty well but it leaves a small sliver of screen unprotected on the sides. I'd wish it was about half a millimeter or so wider to cover the entire screen. Even if it's a bit wider, I think it would still allow enough room for most cases.

The edges aren't sharp, but they aren't rounded either. If you swipe down or up and go through the speaker grills, you'll definitely feel it's there.

Overall, it's probably not worth the price Zagg is asking for it (at $39.99). In the end, I'll probably keep it on.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I was looking at that. Went for the Zagg glass curve. Even more expensive ($49) but it's really a primo product. Just adheres around the (black) edges which is unnoticeable with the black 2 XL.

And, when I had to send back the first 2 XL I got because of a DOA microphone, I was sure I'd loose the screen protector. But... I came off and went on to the replacement device easily and looks absolutely flawless.

Zagg products are pricey, but you do get what you pay for - and the lifetime warranty is sweet.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
Photos as promised (sorry for the quality)

Full phone (with Incipio case)

vqNSqyz.jpg

Screen on. Note the edge of the screen bleeds at the top left:

c6ohLnV.jpg

Close-up of where the screen pokes out of the protector:

1aVDDD5.jpg

Close-up of the opposite edge where the screen lines up almost perfectly. If I moved the protector so the opposite side doesn't poke out, the screen would poke out on this side:

foP50GA.jpg

Top-side, camera covered by the protector:

L8jBTwi.jpg

This protector is rather thick, and I can already tell it would become a dust/lint magnet where the edges meet the screen's glass.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
for half the price I found the standard Verizon screen protector to be very good. I let them install it and it comes out perfect

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
for half the price I found the standard Verizon screen protector to be very good. I let them install it and it comes out perfect

I got the same one, but had to install it myself since the closest corporate store to me is 200 miles away and third party stores don't carry these. Mine came out pretty good, although I've had them come out better in the past. On mine there are some spots that haven't seated fully (2 down the right side edge that are almost unnoticeable and the upper left corner about 1/64" right at the edge).

What's nice about these over the Zagg model is it has cutouts for the speakers, camera, and both sensors. But they actually surround the speakers, camera, and sensor to the right of the top speaker, and has a notch cutout for the sensor above the top speaker. Whereas the Zagg model just has a big a big notch top and bottom for the speakers. At this point I think I don't think I'll switch to a more name brand option like I originally planned.

smallindiana

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to offer a counter-point for this Glass+. I received mine with my Pixel 2 and took extra care installing. I used to love Zagg but haven't used them in years. I know how important those steps can be so I carefully placed it on my device. It never adhered to the edges and corners. Waited a day, tried to put pressure multiple times, nothing fixed it. so I contacted Zagg they sent a replacement. Same exact issue. this time an entire side didn't adhere. others may be having luck with them, I haven't yet.

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I loved the zagg but I went to put it in my pocket and must have got caught on something and the screen protector popped off. More so user error than zaggs fault lol. I'll send in for replacement and get another.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I loved the zagg but I went to put it in my pocket and must have got caught on something and the screen protector popped off. More so user error than zaggs fault lol. I'll send in for replacement and get another.

I wouldn't say that's a user error, there shouldn't be a way for a screen protector to snag on anything. If they are, they didn't do a very good job of final inspection and polishing. The edges should he smooth and snag free. I would expect some issues with the cheap brands sold on Amazon by fly by night companies, but Zagg should be putting out better quality products when they're charging in most cases 4 times as much as those cheap brands.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My Verizon store would only sell me the Zagg version. I decided to get a 2 pack on eBay for $3 from a seller who I have bought tempered glass screen protector before. I'm waiting for those to arrive.

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I'm about to switch from an iPhone to the pixel 2 , and I'm on the fence about getting a screen protector at all. I did get the zagg for the iPhone but haven't been impressed. After a year and a half or so, it started developing tiny hairline fractures. At some point I dropped the phone and the screen shattered. The screen protector didn't do anything to prevent it, even though it's advertised as protecting the screen not only from scratches, but from side impact as well. What do people think? Worth bothering with a protector or not? I hear the gorilla glass on modern phones is so hard that scratches simply aren't an issue anymore. Is that true?

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
After around just 2 months, the oleophobic coating on this protector seems to have gone off in patches. I am getting smudges mostly at the center of the screen. It still wipes off, but I thought I'd update this thread with that.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon store would only sell me the Zagg version. I decided to get a 2 pack on eBay for $3 from a seller who I have bought tempered glass screen protector before. I'm waiting for those to arrive.
Can you please tell us your opinion on those? I always buy the cheapest ones I can find on the ebay since I believe they're all the same and it's pure marketing your paying when you spend more than 2 bucks for a glass screen protector...
Cheers

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Can you please tell us your opinion on those? I always buy the cheapest ones I can find on the ebay since I believe they're all the same and it's pure marketing your paying when you spend more than 2 bucks for a glass screen protector...
Cheers

Well it went on perfectly, no issues. The top and bottom edges adhere perfectly. The side edges you can see a slight artifact as the screen starts to curve and so the glass protector will not adhere to those parts. However, this is no different than what I had for my OG Pixel so it doesn't bother me. Hope this helps you.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well it went on perfectly, no issues. The top and bottom edges adhere perfectly. The side edges you can see a slight artifact as the screen starts to curve and so the glass protector will not adhere to those parts. However, this is no different than what I had for my OG Pixel so it doesn't bother me. Hope this helps you.
It did, thank you.
One thing I've noticed is that the cheap ebay glass screen protectors I always buy from eBay get smudged easily when compare to the smartphone screen because they don't have an oleophobic coating.
Do the more expensive ones have that coating?

Cheers

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It did, thank you.
One thing I've noticed is that the cheap ebay glass screen protectors I always buy from eBay get smudged easily when compare to the smartphone screen because they don't have an oleophobic coating.
Do the more expensive ones have that coating?

Cheers

I haven't had much luck with good oleophobic coating on the expensive ones. You are correct though in pointing out that the cheap ones get smudged easily. The one on the Pixel 2 does that as well, however, I have a microfiber cloth handy so I just wipe the screen perhaps 2 or 3 times a day.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a microfiber cloth handy so I just wipe the screen perhaps 2 or 3 times a day.

2 or 3 times a day. You're a better person than I! I have microfiber cloths all over at home, and work, and in my backpack. I'm not OCD by nature, quite the contrary, but I do have an obsessive compulsion about a clean screen!