November Security Update (Also Saturation/Nav Bar Fade Update)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: November Security Update

It works. I did not have a pending update on my phone this morning until I tapped "Check for updates", at which point the update became available for me.

the Verizon folks are getting the updates. Those of us who have the unlocked 2XL have not gotten it yet, and no, it is not working.

Do you have the unlocked 2 XL? If so, cool, maybe they are starting and you are the first I've heard of to get it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

the Verizon folks are getting the updates. Those of us who have the unlocked 2XL have not gotten it yet, and no, it is not working.

Do you have the unlocked 2 XL? If so, cool, maybe they are starting and you are the first I've heard of to get it.

Don't forget...they roll out in batches to prevent server overload.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Screen Saturation/Nav Bar Fade Updated!!!! (Dang it. Just saw somebody beat me to it)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl/846405-november-security-update-2.html#post6057352mpaign=email[/URL]"
New settings for saturation. Boosted replaces Vivid, Saturated is added. Not as punchy as the Samsung screen, but Central is pleased with the change.

New feature of the NavBar. It will fade out if not used over time. They don't say how long it takes, or if there will be a setting for choosing the time yourself.

Great news, Google has quickly fulfilled their promise on these issues......

DAMMIT. Thought I would be first since got literally got email notice about 2 minutes ago. Sorry. But I will take credit for the fact that I've titled this with the important info. In the earlier post it's included, but not at the top:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-2-pixel-2-xl/846405-november-security-update-2.html#post6057352"

Are you sure that's not just a security update?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Don't forget...they roll out in batches to prevent server overload.

Right, it's no big deal. I'm sure we'll all get it soon.

My point was.. why tell us this? If this article is actually not true, fine. The button never used to really work. But then if they come out and say " Hey now it actually works" then it should, you know, work .. :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Right, it's no big deal. I'm sure we'll all get it soon.

My point was.. why tell us this? If this article is actually not true, fine. The button never used to really work. But then if they come out and say " Hey now it actually works" then it should, you know, work .. :)

That only applies to OS updates

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

That only applies to OS updates

that's what these patches are - OS updates, as opposed to app updates. From the end of that article: "[FONT=&quot]So go ahead and hit the button if you're waiting for the September patch and let everyone know if it worked."
[/FONT]

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I am unlocked 2 XL and got it yesterday.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Okay people, I'm on Cricket, manually check for update nothing, install Verizon sim that came with phone, do not have a Verizon account, did not activate account, manually check for update, phone updating, current time this update is only on Verizon, when update finishes I'll put my Cricket SIM back in
Update is 55.7MB
53f13d1f99e0a20d8bfd7bc442295faa.jpg

Last edited:

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Screen Saturation/Nav Bar Fade Updated!!!! (Dang it. Just saw somebody beat me to it)

"With the latest update, nominally carrying the November security patch, Google has made multiple changes to improve the Pixel 2 XL's display."

It's part of the November security update. Pixel security updates are probably going to carry more than just security patches going forward according to this:

https://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-phones-get-little-something-extra-november-security-patch

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It is a security update + screen changes. They apparently decided to throw it in with the November patch versus waiting until 8.1 release.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

My response was strictly for the "check for updates" button issue that was quoted previously. If Google has pushed the update to your device but it hasnt refreshed in the background yet, the button does actually call to Google's servers to check for an update. This still isn't going to do anything for phones that haven't had the update rolled out to them yet.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Okay people, I'm on Cricket, manually check for update nothing, install Verizon sim that came with phone, do you not have Verizon account, did not activate account, manually check for update, phone updating, current time this update is only on Verizon

Fascinating, because I am on VZW with an unlocked phone, and no update available when I check for the update.....

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
A number of people have commented on the color saturation options and the dimming nav bar, but I'm more concerned about their decision to lower the overall max brightness - has anyone noticed a discernible difference on this? I'd hate to have the screen be less viewable in daylight . . (haven't got the update yet)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It is a security update + screen changes. They apparently decided to throw it in with the November patch versus waiting until 8.1 release.

I was just questioning it because it seem like a very small update but I guess that's possible

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

that's what these patches are - OS updates, as opposed to app updates. From the end of that article: "[FONT=&quot]So go ahead and hit the button if you're waiting for the September patch and let everyone know if it worked."
[/FONT]

My phone is on the truck...lol

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Okay I'm back, after the update I reinstalled my Cricket SIM, choose not to change colors, happy with what I got from the factory regular pixel 2
69613b287ddeaff03d98600c4a48d0d9.jpg
c0d3cabdcb08425d1b42e23c93814520.jpg

New colors in this order, saturated, natural, boosted,reg Pixel 2
c6b060c8a99ec7059e1d06fea763c999.jpg
3c90f3e222bd6ea25863c1c87110b53c.jpg
90667177ac1126d21b6dfed831eec01f.jpg

Doesn't look that different in pictures posted, but the different levels really make a difference, natural seems a little dull compared to boosted, saturated way too much

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I was just questioning it because it seem like a very small update but I guess that's possible

Yeah the change for saturation and such wouldn't take Google much. Just a quick software tweak to change the levels of the screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781