Auto brightness issues pixel 2 XL

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm having an issue on my pixel 2 XL where my screen when on auto brightness will constantly swing from lighter to darker even though the light level in the room stays constant. Sometimes all I have to do to get it to happen is tilt my phone and the screen will dim or brighten. Is anyone else having an issue similar to this and if so is this a software issue or is it something that I'll have to send my device back for replacement?

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about wide swings or just a flickering?

I have the flickering on mine, I have read elsewhere that the Adaptive Brightness is just a hair too sensitive, and that 8.1 fixes it. But that's just the flickering at low ambient light, like the screen will go from a certain brightness to slightly brighter or dimmer, and then sometimes back again.

While I'm waiting for 8.1 I just use Lux, seems to work better. Another option would be to turn Adaptive Brightness off.

But if you're talking about swinging from dim to bright and back again, more than just a flickering, I don't have that problem...

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

I have the flickering on mine, I have read elsewhere that the Adaptive Brightness is just a hair too sensitive, and that 8.1 fixes it. But that's just the flickering at low ambient light, like the screen will go from a certain brightness to slightly brighter or dimmer, and then sometimes back again.

While I'm waiting for 8.1 I just use Lux, seems to work better. Another option would be to turn Adaptive Brightness off.

But if you're talking about swinging from dim to bright and back again, more than just a flickering, I don't have that problem...

Interesting. I haven't noticed the flickering since I updated to 8.1 Beta.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Both, but it mostly happens in lower light environments.

Interesting. I haven't noticed the flickering since I updated to 8.1 Beta.

I'm currently running 8.1 and it still happens on my device.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Just an update. Lux auto brightness app seems to have fixed the issue for now, which is good as it makes me think it's a software issue and not a hardware one.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a phone where the Auto-Brightness works as expected. On the Pixels, it's extra wonky.
I've always had this turned off.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. Lux auto brightness app seems to have fixed the issue for now, which is good as it makes me think it's a software issue and not a hardware one.

Using Lux here too. I hope that 8.1 Final fixes this, but if not I'll just keep using Lux.

tragicmike

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Brand new Pixel 2 64GB, upgraded to 8.1, still seeing brightness flicker pretty constantly when in stable indoor lighting. Going to download and install Lux now.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Lux is so great. I used it for years. This is the first phone where I figured I don't need it. so far so good. But it's nice to see Lux getting so much love!

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Also using Lux on my P2 XL. No more crazy brightness fluctuations. I use Lux in combination with the stock night light function and it is perfect. I find that night mode in Lux looks horrible and makes everything look way out of whack.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol