did a free mini really convince you to buy?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Did even know I'd get one until after my order and doubt I'll use it. I say 'Okay Google' several times throughout the day already to my phone.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Did even know I'd get one until after my order and doubt I'll use it. I say 'Okay Google' several times throughout the day already to my phone.

I didn't think I'd use mine much.... Now I have 2. I do start my morning with podcasts and it's a fun and lazy way to ask about trivial things when we're vegging out on the couch.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The Mini offer didn't sway me to get the Pixel 2 XL sooner. I waited until late October to order my P2XL. I ended up buying a Mini on Black Friday, and got one for free (company holiday gift) days of each other. :D

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I got a mini with it from EE (carrier), it's still in it's box. I can't see the point in it tbh. I've nothing it can control and my phone will do everything it will anyway

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I didn't think I'd use mine much.... Now I have 2. I do start my morning with podcasts and it's a fun and lazy way to ask about trivial things when we're vegging out on the couch.

I have my phone with me at all times. When I want to ask something, I just say Okay Google. Why is the mini any different then just asking your phone? I see that you listen to podcasts on it. Again, why is this different than just having the phone's speakers run the podcast? Does the mini accept more commands?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone with me at all times. When I want to ask something, I just say Okay Google. Why is the mini any different then just asking your phone? I see that you listen to podcasts on it. Again, why is this different than just having the phone's speakers run the podcast? Does the mini accept more commands?

For one it doesn't drain your phone's battery (more an issue listening to music or podcasts), and the speaker in the mini is clearer and louder than what's in your phone.

Plus with the broadcast feature, you can do a page to all speakers associated on the account, rather than calling or texting everyone in the house. We use it for my Dad mainly because he has hip issues and if he falls and doesn't have a phone on him, he can do a page and tell me to come help him. You can broadcast from your phone, but it would go out the any Google Home devices linked to your account, so technically that's a feature that can't be accomplished with the phone alone. Also with the ability to make calls on the Home devices, if I'm not there (in the fall situation I described above) he can call me or someone else to come help him. While this doesn't apply to everyone, it does help us out white a bit. And since he doesn't have a smartphone (Samsung flip) he now has access to Assistant and uses it probably more than I do.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
And, more than one person can interact with the Mini. I start my morning by telling my bathroom mini good morning, then getting the forecast and news in the shower. Sometimes I'll stream podcasts through our downstairs mini when I cook dinner while the kid watches sesame street. It's eleventy billion times louder than my phone and the microphone is much more sensitive than my phone.

Compared to the speakers on my 6p, the P2 is a letdown. That's OK, but I often opt for Bluetooth Headphones over the front facing speakers.

Anyway, example of usage, the other day I'm up my man cave, phone is downstairs and I'm too lazy to get it. Bathroom door is closed, and I'm on my recliner. I asked Google to set a reminder and it picked it up perfect through the door. The day it will alert me to a phone call is the day I stop touching my phone inside the house. 😉

Do you want to listen to music through it? No, but it's fun watching a little kid go nuts over kid music after a single command. It is not the same thing as what is in your pixel.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'm assuming it syncs podcasts between it and your phone? Do you have to use the Google player? I've tried it and I'm not crazy about it, but voice control would be a plus. I've used BeyondPod for years.

Now, deciding which room to put it in?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the app you're using. You can cast audio to it like it's a chromecast but if you use Google Play Music, you can say stuff like "Hey Google, play the latest episode of the Android Central Podcast". Or, "Play my podcast where I left off".

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
It wasn't a deal breaker as I wanted a pixel 2 XL, however it was a nice extra and has been more useful than I thought even just as a bluetooth speaker in the bedroom.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I just returned the Google Home, which I picked up on the half off deal at Verizon when I got my 2 XL. Hope I don't regret it!

I figured a Mini would do the trick if I wasn't going to use the Home for music streaming. ( I would probably prefer the sound of my Megaboom or Bose Micro while paired with my Pixel.)

Didn't realize it had a couple of those features mentioned here, like using them as an intercom system. That sounds interesting.