did a free mini really convince you to buy?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Is there anybody out there who really made their decision to buy based on a free mini? Or is it just a matter of Google getting their product out there?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Is there anybody out there who really made their decision to buy based on a free mini? Or is it just a matter of Google getting their product out there?

I would have bought the phone even if it didn't have anything free to go with it. The mini would have been in stores everywhere regardless of Google offering it as a pre-order bonus. Google offering the mini as a pre-order bonus was just another reason to pre-order vs waiting until later to get it.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie, I bought mine a little earlier than I was thinking because free is free and I wanted one anyway. With Google's generous return policy, I figured I had time to change my mind (Originally wanted the XL before the screen changed my mind....had to think about the P2 for a couple of days).

Just redeemed my Mini this morning as a matter of fact. :)

skraggy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I didn't even know the about the Mini offer when I ordered, so no. But it definite was a pleasant surprise.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Aah yes the pre-order. that makes sense

I did for the same reason. I was certain I was going to get the P2, but I didn't wait for a Black Friday deal like I did last time. Last year I had pre-ordered the Pixel, but dropped it because I decided to wait for a better deal. Last year they offered a free Daydream View. For me that wasn't as compelling. But the Home mini was more useful (gave it to my Dad and he loves it).

However, since Verizon has started this new monthly credit for discounts instead of just discounting it upfront, it's not worth it IMHO. There are a lot of limitations to what you can do if you want to keep getting the monthly bill credits. So if you decide to buy a new device, if you don't keep your old one on an active line, you forfeit any remaining bill credits. The same applies if you decide to pay off your device before the end of the 24 month period. For example, say you want to pay it off to upgrade at the one year mark, you forfeit 12 months of bill credits, or half of the discount advertised in the promo. At least with the old 2 year contracts, you could pay the ETF to upgrade to a new device, since back then your discount was applied at purchase, not of the life of the device payment plan.

What I can't understand is why they do this. What does it matter if the phone is on an active line or not, as long as I still make the monthly payment? They're getting their money just the same if I hadn't upgraded to a new device. In fact they're getting more since I'm paying on 2 devices instead of 1. But I guess being able to terminate the remaining bill credits is more important to them. I don't see how their math works though. If they allowed me to upgrade and keep the bill credits, I'd be paying $31-$16=$15 on phone one, and $31 on phone 2 for a total of $46 a month in device payments. But if I didn't upgrade it would be $15 a month for the one device. But, if they bank that people won't realize that when they upgrade that they'll lose their bill credits, then they get $62 a month for both devices. However, that won't make the customer very happy and may make them think twice about staying with Verizon. Other carriers allow you to upgrade sooner than every 24 months without screwing them out of money. If Verizon wasn't the only viable option, I'd be somewhere else right now.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I hope I misunderstood your post.

I got the P2 from Google with the $350 trade-in of my original pixel, but my understanding is that I can still continue how to make monthly payments to Verizon and get the corresponding credit, for the remaining 12 months

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope I misunderstood your post.

I got the P2 from Google with the $350 trade-in of my original pixel, but my understanding is that I can still continue how to make monthly payments to Verizon and get the corresponding credit, for the remaining 12 months

I haven't done a trade in with Verizon but I'm assuming that the trade in credit isn't applied upfront, but in the form of monthly bill credits, correct? And those bill credits won't start to apply for 2-3 pay periods? If so, then to get the full amount of your trade in, you'd have to keep doing monthly payments for the full 24 months. That means no paying off the phone early and no upgrading and putting your old phone in a drawer or up for sale. In fact, when I asked about trading in my Pixel 1, they confirmed that I'd lose my bill credits I haven't yet received. That means I'd lose about half of my total discount from last year's Black Friday promo.

But again, that's my experience with their promos where they knock so much off the price, I don't know for certain if it's the same with trade ins.

Edit: I decided to do some looking and it depends on the situation concerning trade ins. For example, if you decide to trade in your device with no promotional offer, then you'll get your trade in discount in full within a month or two. BUT, if the trade in is a promo, which I believe is the case with the Pixel's trade in offer, then the discount amount will be done in monthly bill credits over a 24 month period. If you pay it off early, remove it from active status, etc, you forfeit any further bill credits.

Here's a link to Verizon's page on the matter. Scroll down to Promotional Offers and expand question 2.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...support/trade-in-program-faqs/&token=RbMJRDLc

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
yes, what you just mentioned is true for trading in a new phone with Verizon while still having payments and credits left in your current phone.

however, I just got off the phone with Verizon. Last year's pixel was a trade in credit, like you said, where they credit my bill apportion each month. but I bought my pixel 2 through Google. Just verified with Verizon, that even though that original pixel is no longer activated, and I am using the new pixel I purchased from Google, the monthly charges, along with the monthly trade in credit will still apply for the remainder of the next year

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ordered mine as soon as the page went live so I was done ordering before they even announced the free home mini for preorders.

MikeC01

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't imagine that a $50 freebie convinced anyone to pay $600+ (or in the case of the XL $900+) for a phone. This is a smart play by Google though. They're trying to get more people to buy in to their product "ecosystem." They give you the mini so that you'll go out and buy the other products that play nice with the mini. Plus, you end up using the Google apps more and they get more of your preferences/personal info which is what they're really after and sell to advertisers to make money.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
yes, what you just mentioned is true for trading in a new phone with Verizon while still having payments and credits left in your current phone.

however, I just got off the phone with Verizon. Last year's pixel was a trade in credit, like you said, where they credit my bill apportion each month. but I bought my pixel 2 through Google. Just verified with Verizon, that even though that original pixel is no longer activated, and I am using the new pixel I purchased from Google, the monthly charges, along with the monthly trade in credit will still apply for the remainder of the next year

I got them to do that for mine as well. It helped that they never applied ANY bill credits for my Pixel 1 and I called in and then tore them a new one when they tried to explain it away. I think that's the reason they don't apply the credit until three months in, if the customer forgets about it, they just don't do it. I remember calling in a few times shortly after they were supposed to apply them to see if they'd been applied and they kept saying soon, and I forgot about it. They told me it takes the computers that long for them to recognize that an eligible device is in the system. Funny, but I've never heard of any computer taking three months to accomplish any task, let alone billing. So this month I'm getting essentially 11 months of bill credits all at once.

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
It didn't convince me to buy but it helped soften the blow when I got buyers remorse after buying my pixel 2. The pixel 2 was $1079 for me here in Australia, though came in a bundle with the mini and headphones. It makes me feel less crazy knowing I got over $100 of freebies :D (mini is $79 here and headphones had a value of $70)

I don't think it would influence most people's decision, but for those in two minds wether it is worth it, may tip them over the edge to buy

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I would never buy a phone because of a freebie.... Especially not something in the mini price range

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I finally decided to replace my much loved and venerable Nexus 6 after seeing the introduction of the Pixel 2 XL on the first day. I absolutely love my Pixel 2 XL and was quite surprised by Google's including the Home Mini with my purchase.

As an aside, my wife and I also joined Google Fi and dropped Sprint, going from a monthly cost of $122 to averaging $40. And the Google service is significantly better for much less cost! It won't take long for the lower Fi cost to pay back the $1K I paid for the Pixel 2 XL 128.

We put the Google Home Mini on a bookcase in the dining area which joins the open concept kitchen. We were quite surprised by how useful it is and how good the tiny speaker sounds. My wife is playing Christmas music on it right now as she works in her kitchen. She just asked Google Home Mini how many tablespoons there are in 1/4 cup and she's is smiling after getting the immediate answer of 4 tablespoons!

Last edited:

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
My decision to get a Pixel phone is strictly because the phone fits my personal likes for Android and google. Pure Android experience is what I enjoy.