OEM Unlock in developer settings

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Pixel 2 from the Google Store and selected the Unlocked version, but the OEM unlock setting is grayed out and displays the help text "connect to the internet or contact your carrier". I don't really want to unlock my bootloader, so it's hardly a crisis, but still, I paid for the unlocked version so shouldn't I be able to flip the switch, or is there something else I need to do?

For the record I'm running with a T-Mobile prepaid SIM.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
re:

What I read in various places on the web is, if your device is already bootloader unlocked, then this option is greyed out in Developer's options.

Your mileage may vary...

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
re:

Restart your phone and when it starts to boot up hold down the power and volume down button and it'll show the bootloader mine says locked so only option is to start the phone if it says unlocked you have other options

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
re:

Mine's from Google, unlocked, on Verizon and I can unlock the bootloader. I didn't actually do it but I got all the way to the final "Are you sure?" message...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
re:

Mine's from Google, unlocked, on Verizon and I can unlock the bootloader. I didn't actually do it but I got all the way to the final "Are you sure?" message...

I don't think this actually unlocks the bootloader; maybe it does but I don't think so.

To reiterate, what I have read elsewhere is that if you unlocked the bootloader prior to initially configuring the phone (as many power users do immediately upon unboxing a new device), then the option in Developer Options will be greyed out since, you are effectively asking to do something that has already been done.

So, the the original poster: have you already unlocked your device's bootloader? If so, then when?

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
re:

I'm not some supper-user, more of a casual tinkerer, but the toggle in Developer Options is called:

OEM UNLOCKING
Allow the bootloader to be unlocked.

It then goes on to warn that: "Device protection features will not work on this device while this setting is turned on."

I don't want to actually do it but that sure sounds to me like it's unlocking the bootloader.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

I'm not some supper-user, more of a casual tinkerer, but the toggle in Developer Options is called:

OEM UNLOCKING
Allow the bootloader to be unlocked.

It then goes on to warn that: "Device protection features will not work on this device while this setting is turned on."

I don't want to actually do it but that sure sounds to me like it's unlocking the bootloader.

its not unlocking the bootloader. it just enables you to unlock the bootloader from the bootup.
if you dont enable this then unlocking is not possible. this is to make sure that a thief can unlock your bootloader and wipe the os clean

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
re:

have you already unlocked your device's bootloader? If so, then when?
No, and in fastboot the bootloader status shows locked.
If I were you, I'd contact the Google store and ask for a replacement. If you did not unlock that phone's bootloader, then somebody messed it up before it got to you. I'd get a new one if only because that greyed out unlock option could well come back to haunt you when/if you try to resell or trade in.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
re:

Is there a way to tell if I was sent the wrong model by mistake? No Verizon SIM came with it, so no red flags there. Maybe something in the documentation on/in the box, or in fastboot or the version numbers?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Pixel 2 from the Google Store and selected the Unlocked version, but the OEM unlock setting is grayed out and displays the help text "connect to the internet or contact your carrier". I don't really want to unlock my bootloader, so it's hardly a crisis, but still, I paid for the unlocked version so shouldn't I be able to flip the switch, or is there something else I need to do?

For the record I'm running with a T-Mobile prepaid SIM.
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-2-users-reporting-inability-unlock-bootloader/

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, at least I'm not alone I guess. Ah, well. Like I said I'm not planning to unlock the bootloader anyway so I'll just sit back and see how this one plays out, and get a replacement someday if I have to. Thanks for the help everyone!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084