Pixel 2 XL for a week now, lots of messaging errors, WTF - also changed carriers

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We just switched carriers from Verizon to Tmob at the same time I switched phones. We're still waiting on my wife's pixel 2, we're doing googles trade in program...anyway I guess that is a different story.

I have been using this pixel 2 XL for a week now and have had more text messaging issues in a week then I have had in the past year. I can't figure out if it's a phone issue or a carrier problem. My wife doesn't seem to be having as many issues but she also uses her phone far less.

It seems sending texts, just a basic text works just fine, but as soon as I send a meme or photo all hell breaks lose. Things get stuck "sending" don't ever send, that disrupts other text messages. For example I send a couple memes last night trying to troubleshoot this with TMob they never got to their intended targets. Then all my other messages back up and this morning I awoke to a dozen unread text messages.

This feels more like a TMob issue especially since it's more common at home where signal issues are there for ALL carriers, but I still have weird issues even with 5 bars. Double texts, lengthy time to send media of any kind including photos. Did something change in the text message app on Pixel 2? Or is this indeed a carrier issue?

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm on Cricket and I had to go into settings-mobile-mobile Network and change APN settings, Cricket had instructions on how to do this , there were missing settings I had to manually type in, the main issue before this was fixed was sending anything MMS pictures Etc it would just hang up and not send, after adjusting APN settings everything is fine, yesterday I put a Verizon sim in my phone and then went back to the Crickets one, once again I had to go into APN reset to default and then manually insert Corrections this is just for Cricket though not sure how this would apply to you.

Thanks to the original OP for posting the cricket directions sorry don't remember your name

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Cricket and I had to go into settings-mobile-mobile Network and change APN settings, Cricket had instructions on how to do this , there were missing settings I had to manually type in, the main issue before this was fixed was sending anything MMS pictures Etc it would just hang up and not send, after adjusting APN settings everything is fine, yesterday I put a Verizon sim in my phone and then went back to the Crickets one, once again I had to go into APN reset to default and then manually insert Corrections this is just for Cricket though not sure how this would apply to you.

Thanks to the original OP for posting the cricket directions sorry don't remember your name
??
44ee7b05f7fbd700c6372dd98a3a16ca.jpg

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Those are your APNs, so now if you tap on one and open it you'll see different profiles, I would verify with your carrier it's a correct profile and noting is missing , that's what will hang up sending and receiving messages photos ect.

I'm no pro at this I just learned it myself on this phone for Cricket

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Those are your APNs, so now if you tap on one and open it youll see different profiles, I would verify with your carrier it's a correct profile and noting is missing , that's what will hang up sending and receiving messages photos ect.

I'm no pro at this I just learned it myself on this phone for Cricket
Ok thx

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
And hopefully you're not coming from a iPhone that's a different story need to delete your old phone from your Apple account

And have your friends start a new message thread to you delete the old one

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it. Why should anyone have to turn off wifi or go thru special menus jus to get text messages to work on android phones.... and people wonder why many jus pick an iPhone... they just work.
texts not working is WHY I have an iPhone and use android phones as a 2nd Toy/fun/tinker device. unreliable.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I don't get it. Why should anyone have to turn off wifi or go thru special menus jus to get text messages to work on android phones.... and people wonder why many jus pick an iPhone... they just work.
texts not working is WHY I have an iPhone and use android phones as a 2nd Toy/fun/tinker device. unreliable.
I'm sure if you go to the iPhone forums there's people having issues too this is one individual not the masses

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/89667

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Uh.. okay lol. I've seen messed up APN on an iPhone as well when it doesn't set and guess what.. MMS doesn't work. Imagine that :p.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

There is NO NEED to disable Wi-Fi.

The issue cited in the original post is nearly always a bad APN. And, to add to that conversation, it is best to have one and only one APN for a given carrier, as someone else figured out in another recent thread (regarding Cricket Wireless, if I recall correctly).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is. So far not much change...

If it still isn't working I would get a new SIM from T-Mobile. The phone should be having no issues w/ whatever network as long as the APN settings are right / mobile data is on when using MMS.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If it still isn't working I would get a new SIM from T-Mobile. The phone should be having no issues w/ whatever network as long as the APN settings are right / mobile data is on when using MMS.
Maybe that's it, since I have been traveling I have been in areas that have a strong signal and still experiencing lots of weird data issues. For example four times at the hotel over the last 90 min I have had 4-5 bars and data mysteriously stops. Emails get q'd to outbox, apps can't access the network etc

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance