And now the screen oleophobic coating is wearing off prematurely on the 2XL!

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As of right now, I consider only defect is the semi confirmed very early burn in. And even then, I don't recall hearing any more about it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Burn in can be attributed to the user in question. It's kind of funny people say you shouldn't get burn in within the first week. It is possible. I've seen tvs do if after someone has fallen asleep for 6 hours. If you have burn in, you don't need an app to see it. Also, if you are running around with the screen set to a super bright setting or allowing adaptive brightness to do all the work, you need to be a little bit more judicious. Then killing the device with 8+ hours of on screen time with a static display or a long time screen time out, you should know better. You can't leave static images on a tv for 6 hours so what makes you think it's any different for a smartphone? A smartphone isn't a toy. It requires some thinking.

You take your phone to a concert outside in the sun for 5-6 hours. Of course you bump up the screen brightness due to the sunlight. The temperature is hot outside, your phone is hot from being in a plastic case and in your pocket. Your body is hot generating more heat and you have the screen brightness dialed up. That's a screen burn in disaster waiting to happen. Would you take a laptop outside in the sun for 5-6 hours? Why would you do the same with a smartphone that runs like a computer. Just common sense.
I don't think Alex Dobie had his use fall into this category.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Every AMOLED phone I've owned developed very slight ghosting of the nav bar shortly after purchase.. call it burn, retention, semi-permanent or whatever.. but it was there fairly early on.

Now, in all but the S3 I had, it really never got any worse months down the road. I remember Erica Griffin exposing that the sky was falling when the Nexus 6 she had burned in and I went in and checked mine and sure enough, if I went looking, I could see a hint of the soft buttons. But months later, pretty much the exact same level. My two year old 6P has 'burned in' nav bar bits that you only see playing the 'let's watch a full screen gray video' game. Same for the S7 and S7 Edge my wife had, etc...

A lot of these sources are chasing traffic. That's how they get paid, or at least how the sites they contribute to get paid. I always look at stories like this through that lens.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you have to bring up a color display to see burn in, you don't have burn in. It's obvious to the naked eye when you have it.

But say shifting to the Google homepage with it's white background from a darker homescreen can help. I have seen burn in on the Nexus 6 and a few Samsungs on display at AT&T. But I don't consider that normal as those diplays are on high brightness for 12 hours a day every day.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Every AMOLED phone I've owned developed very slight ghosting of the nav bar shortly after purchase.. call it burn, retention, semi-permanent or whatever.. but it was there fairly early on.

Now, in all but the S3 I had, it really never got any worse months down the road. I remember Erica Griffin exposing that the sky was falling when the Nexus 6 she had burned in and I went in and checked mine and sure enough, if I went looking, I could see a hint of the soft buttons. But months later, pretty much the exact same level. My two year old 6P has 'burned in' nav bar bits that you only see playing the 'let's watch a full screen gray video' game. Same for the S7 and S7 Edge my wife had, etc...

A lot of these sources are chasing traffic. That's how they get paid, or at least how the sites they contribute to get paid. I always look at stories like this through that lens.

Yeah. They must get bonuses for FUD....lol

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. They must get bonuses for FUD....lol
They do! In particular these monetized YouTube channels. Views means $'s. A lot of views means $$$$$$. So when one posts a 'Another problem with the XYZ!!!!!' and rack up hundreds of thousands of hits. The rough number is about $1-$5 (varies by a lot of factors) for every 1000 views.

So with that in mind, don't you think there is an incentive?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
They do! In particular these monetized YouTube channels. Views means $'s. A lot of views means $$$$$$. So when one posts a 'Another problem with the XYZ!!!!!' and rack up hundreds of thousands of hits. The rough number is about $1-$5 (varies by a lot of factors) for every 1000 views.

So with that in mind, don't you think there is an incentive?

Yeah, I suppose so.

But back to the original topic; OP I would take this all with a grain of salt....a very large grain...like the size of the Indian Jones boulder.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I suppose so.

But back to the original topic; OP I would take this all with a grain of salt....a very large grain...like the size of the Indian Jones boulder.
Just keep it away from your screen, lest we see the 'trending videos' list on YouTube filled with hot takes exposing the next problem with the 2XL

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll leave this here
38318456f7ed168ca13bb2a4b9c5fa09.jpg

yujinn

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Who's responsible for the oleophobic coating anyway? the OLED panel manufacturer or the glass screen maker (in this case, LG or Corning)?