Thought the assistant was supposed to remind me to buy beer

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I just set a test reminder to get eye drops at CVS. I then just hit CVS. No reminder. What is is supposed to do?
Well from my understanding it depends on your GPS settings. I keep mine on high accuracy. It also depends when Google refreshes your location. Sometimes I walk in a store and it instantly tells me I'm in there with options.. other times it may take a few minutes.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I need to see if I can change the notification tone for this it's a pretty quiet beep and would be easy to miss if I wasn't looking at my phone,
I set it up for the dentist with address I thought it wasn't working after sitting in the lobby for about 1 minute reminder popped up

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, kudos, the assistant reminded me the 2nd time I was at the store and after I had left the building and was in my car backing out. So a day late. I'm thinking the GPS has trouble penetrating the building, probably hit and miss. Not to sure how valuable this feature will be.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, kudos, the assistant reminded me the 2nd time I was at the store and after I had left the building and was in my car backing out. So a day late. I'm thinking the GPS has trouble penetrating the building, probably hit and miss. Not to sure how valuable this feature will be.
It really relies on GPS a bunch but also when Google actually sees you there. They could turn the GPS on 24/7 until the reminder is set but... Well.. we know why that would be bad.

I bet money if you set a reminder and used GPS in store it would pop then.

Personally I just use time reminders. Most reminders I set since I know where I'll be at what time.

Arsenio Martins

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The issue could have been that it doesn't know that location sells alcohol. Have you ever gotten those messages from Google maps asking if you were at a certain location? then it asks you "Is this place good for a quick bite?" etc. I believe one of the questions is "Do they sell liquor?".

So if Google doesn't know that Wal-Mart sells alcohol it wouldn't know to remind you.

Cerif27

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I've had this exact problem since day one (last month). Coming off of windows phone where this worked flawlessly I know what this is SUPPOSED to feel like and firing 2 hours after I get to a place or not firing at all simply isn't how this is supposed to work.

Google come up with any solutions here? This feature simply doesn't work. I got in the habit of using location based reminders multiply times a day. As much as everyone always crapped on Windows Phones I'm really beside myself that this feature doesn't work as well as it should.

Here's hoping they come up with something soon. Maybe with 8.1? Awww, who am I kidding. This has been an issues for years according to forums all over the internet.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It kinda worked for me once. I asked it to remind me but it failed, then a week or so later it popped up and reminded me, over a week late! I'd forgotten all about it. I mean WTF good is that. Then I test it again and it doesn't remind me till I'm out of the store and back at the car leaving. Fail! It's totally unreliable and I'm done trying to make it work.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It kinda worked for me once. I asked it to remind me but it failed, then a week or so later it popped up and reminded me, over a week late! I'd forgotten all about it. I mean WTF good is that. Then I test it again and it doesn't remind me till I'm out of the store and back at the car leaving. Fail! It's totally unreliable and I'm done trying to make it work.

Yep. It is a double edge sword to be honest. Google tries to ping location within a certain time without doing it to much to not drain battery. Sometimes it may work when you're in the store and others it may not catch you in there until it is too late :p.

The only way to have a feature like this work 110% of the time would be to turn on GPS 24/7 until it sees you in that store, does the reminder, and you clear the reminder.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have my locations services on 24/7.

If it's battery you're worried about, the XL at least will still give monster service. If it's privacy, well, Google has to know where you are in order to know when to trigger location based reminders...

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
works every time for me. Whether I asked it to remind me to call my sister when I get home, remind me to call the doctor at 3 o'clock, remind me to pick up bread at Walmart. As soon as I walk into Walmart, my reminder goes off, or soon as I get home, their reminder goes off

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have my locations services on 24/7.

If it's battery you're worried about, the XL at least will still give monster service. If it's privacy, well, Google has to know where you are in order to know when to trigger location based reminders...

Well I have it on 24/7 as well -- but having location services on isn't the same as I stated with GPS being on 24/7. As I said they try not to ping you constantly otherwise it would be a battery drain.

Now it would depend if people have High Accuracy or not. Sometimes I walk in a store and instantly "Hey you're here" thing pops up but other times I am walking out and it notices.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it's not perfect for sure. I use it and it mostly works correctly 95% of the time. I did, however, have a reminder set for when I got to work and it took maybe 30 mins before it triggered. First time in that location it took that amount of time.

Mostly though, it's usually a couple of minutes for me before it triggers. I'm on high accuracy as well.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It works just not asap , not something I would rely on

This. I mainly only use the location of "home" for reminders. I always get home and turn WiFi on and it pings location when it connects to WiFi so the reminder fires without issue.

Otherwise I just use time based ones.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the time based reminders are more accurate and work consistently. For me it's the location trigger that is unreliable.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I have it on 24/7 as well -- but having location services on isn't the same as I stated with GPS being on 24/7. As I said they try not to ping you constantly otherwise it would be a battery drain.

Now it would depend if people have High Accuracy or not. Sometimes I walk in a store and instantly "Hey you're here" thing pops up but other times I am walking out and it notices.

I don't see how to turn off GPS. How do you do that?

i have locations set to high accuracy, isn't my GPS on all the time with that setting?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how to turn off GPS. How do you do that?

i have locations set to high accuracy, isn't my GPS on all the time with that setting?

No it just means when it needs to use location it will use GPS and all those things it mentions w/ high accuracy. It doesn't mean GPS is on 24/7.. If that was the case your battery would tank.

Your location can be tracked via the other methods but GPS is the most accurate and only used when you see the symbol up at the top (like when you have Google Maps open).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon