Is the nev bar fade really prevent burn in?

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any burn in yet but I just curious the fade nav bar really help because the nav bar still there. Any thought? Thanks.

arav24

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I personally am using immersive mode with pie controls. I prefer having the extra screen real estate and plus you don't have to worry about burn in. I think you should be fine tho.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Two things... First, the burn in thing was overblown... Personally, I think what everyone was seeing was image retention... Which will look like burn in but really never gets any worse. Eventually, the same pixel sites showing image retention will begin to degrade, at which point it will start to worsen.

As for if dimming will work, it will. Each Pixel only had so much life in it. And that's a function of how long the pixel was active, and it's intensity. By dimming the buttons, you're reducing the latter.

Soo functionally, it will accomplish it's goal, but there's also a bit of a perception benefit here as users notice it, then assume it's working.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I think there was going to be another update so the nav bar drops down? I hope so as the S8 does this and also gives you more screen.

arav24

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep. I used this guide.
46a329e4e44cf1b8134dc7df9be7c0cb.jpg

arav24

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
You guys should know that the Active Edge feature won't work whenever the NavBar is hidden...
I wasn't happy about it at first but then got used to pulling up the nav bar before i squeezed my phone. Not that big of a deal for me to be honest.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say the burn in issue was overblown. Whether it was burn in or retention, it was still an issue. I never noticed it in day to day use with my OG XL, but on my 2 XL with the brightness up to a normal level, I saw it on a loading screen while playing a game. That's unacceptable with less than 2 weeks of use.

arav24

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say the burn in issue was overblown. Whether it was burn in or retention, it was still an issue. I never noticed it in day to day use with my OG XL, but on my 2 XL with the brightness up to a normal level, I saw it on a loading screen while playing a game. That's unacceptable with less than 2 weeks of use.
Have you noticed any burn in with the always on display?

jredecop82

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

mtbmike24

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
As far as immersive mode goes I'm using GMD immersive and it doesn't require root. It works great once I figured it out but it took some time to figure out what worked best for me. The settings I use are sensitivity at just below half, trigger length is at 100% and width is at 100% set the bar to not disappear and trigger mode to touch not swipe. The key here is to swipe directly at the home button with a nice firm tap and swipe up continuous motion to dismiss and bring up the nav bar, no need to swipe down. anywhere else triggers undesirable results when dismissing the nav bar I found setting the trigger mode to swipe does not work as well as touch with a swipe motion. I ended up purchasing the app so I can make the trigger transparent so far no complaints and it works great. Just make sure if you need to type something after dismissing the buttons you bring them back up " firm tap and swipe up" so the key board works otherwise the key board may be up but you won't be able to type anything this happens sometimes as I forget to get bring it back up after dismissing it. It would be nice if the app automatically detects this but I really can't complain like I said works pretty good once you figure it out and so far no complaints and pretty seamless dealing with the entire screen is nice and I find it hard to go without this option once I figured it out. I believe this will be a good option for some. I tried other apps and they suck and are not as seamless. With my current set up it's like it's built in and I don't see anything and can dismiss or bring up the ugly nav bar anytime I want in any app I want.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is also Custom Navigation Bar : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.paphonb.systemuituner&hl=en

It has an IAP for the full version, but I will gladly pay a couple of bucks to support a decent app dev.

From what I can see, the dev took a lot of the custom nav bar stuff you find in custom ROMs and wrapped it in an app that utilizes Android not-so-well-known native theming and customization engine. It not only does immersive mode, but you can modify the nav bar... shift buttons, add buttons and assign custom actions, etc. Pretty slick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy