11-22-2017 10:58 AM
59 123
tools
    I thought I had a phone issue....lol.
    Don't even get me started on my phone antics. If I had the money I would have bought all of those devices as well. Nice to see I'm not alone!
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    11-14-2017 12:58 PM
    I sold my brand new LG G6 and bought a Pixel 2 XL instead. Better camera, better UI, first for updates, and longer OS support.
    11-14-2017 02:15 PM
    Pixel 2 is like downgrade... No headphone jack? No microsd card? What a bullc*ap is that..

What heck is wrong with humanity? Who would even consider of buying 600-900 phones that lack basic features and are obsolete in a year..
    11-14-2017 09:53 PM
    That's a perfect first post. ^^^
    11-14-2017 11:24 PM
    I'm getting tired of the headphone jack thing. The adapter Google included had a DAC that is actually superior to the internal DAC in the G6 (US models didn't get the quad DAC). GSMArena tested it out and it's cleaner, louder and has a better frequency response than pretty much anything that doesn't have 'V30’ stamped on its back. So you have to use an adapter. I've been using it and it's done nothing to detract.

Go talk to hard core audiophiles... They've already been living the life of using external accessories to get an audio experience that meets their needs. If the headphone makers got their act together and started making wired USB-C headphones with built in DACs and amps, you could get better audio out of even a $100 phone than best every 3.5mm equipt phone on the market today.. Without having to plug in anything extra anymore.

Fact is the lack of a headphone jack is only a problem now because we're at the start of the transition. Once USB-C accessories are more widespread, that we complained so much will be silly in hindsight.

As for storage, the base is 64G on the Pixel 2, twice the G6. Sure, there are people with legit needs for more than 128G of stuff, but those are in the minority. The vast majority of people would live quite comfortably with 64G, especially when you consider that you'll get free full resolution storage on Photos.

I'm not just going off articles either... I used a G6 for a good 5 months. It was my wife's and she got so feed up with the horrible quality pictures that the G6 took indoors and in lower light that I have her my 6P. The G6 was prone to occasional periods of extreme lag (camera sometimes took ages to open) and the September update had a bug in the memory stack bug that rendered it all but useless.

And LG will pretty much forget it exists once the G7 is released in a few months... Whereas Google will actively support and provide fixes for another three years. And while you might not be keeping a phone for that long, one of these phones is far more likely to be a rough running hot mess in a few months... If it hasn't already started down that road (mine did).

The G6 is a nice phone, but to say the Pixel 2 is a downgrade is way off the mark. The Pixel is faster, smoother (and will stay that way far longer), gets much better battery performance and both the front and rear cameras are vastly superior. The one thing the G6 legitimately has over the Pixel 2 is price... But as to which phone is better? There's really no contest. I was counting the days to the Pixel 2 XL's availability.
    11-14-2017 11:28 PM
    I have no qualms with my G6 as you mentioned, but the only thing holding me back from the pixel 2 is the display size, I just can't see myself being ok with a 5 inch display. Funny how 5 inches used to be huuuuge . . . Sounds so dumb to say but I just wish it was 5.2 or 5.3 . . .
    11-15-2017 07:00 AM
    I think I saw someone who did that, maybe on xda? Don't remember, just know that I read lots of other people having easily scratched "coating" and I don't think it should be a problem at the price point we pay.
    11-15-2017 07:45 AM
    The screen is one of the things that I love on the G6. The size, the clarity, the crispness.

Man, this is a frustrating call. I know, first world problems - cannot decide which phone I want to have for two years.
    You have an itch that I think you should scratch. Get it or else you'll be beating yourself up over it! Be prepared to have buyers remorse regardless in whatever you do.
    anon(10334997) likes this.
    11-15-2017 08:01 AM
    The G6 is a nice phone...

The Pixel is faster, smoother (and will stay that way far longer), gets much better battery performance and both the front and rear cameras are vastly superior. The one thing the G6 legitimately has over the Pixel 2 is price... But as to which phone is better? There's really no contest. I was counting the days to the Pixel 2 XL's availability.
    Mobile photography is important to me because I enjoy taking pictures. Whatever phone I am using better have a good camera, if not best in class. This is why in the past I have owned devices like the iPhone 7 Plus and Lumia 1020. I do have concerns that the camera on my G6 may not perform adequately for how I want to use it, but I have not been able to test it. I need more time with indoor shots with various lighting sources to see if it is truly that inferior or if my manual shooting chops will help make up for some of the alleged and actual shortcomings.

The more I think about it, the more I want the G6 to work out for me. At the same time, I want the Pixel 2 just as much.
    11-15-2017 08:49 AM
    I have no qualms with my G6 as you mentioned, but the only thing holding me back from the pixel 2 is the display size, I just can't see myself being ok with a 5 inch display. Funny how 5 inches used to be huuuuge . . . Sounds so dumb to say but I just wish it was 5.2 or 5.3 . . .
    I wasn't sure either but it doesn't bother me to be honest. I thought I would miss the 18:9 ratio but I don't.
    revtech likes this.
    11-15-2017 09:54 AM
    Mobile photography is important to me because I enjoy taking pictures. Whatever phone I am using better have a good camera, if not best in class. This is why in the past I have owned devices like the iPhone 7 Plus and Lumia 1020. I do have concerns that the camera on my G6 may not perform adequately for how I want to use it, but I have not been able to test it. I need more time with indoor shots with various lighting sources to see if it is truly that inferior or if my manual shooting chops will help make up for some of the alleged and actual shortcomings.

The more I think about it, the more I want the G6 to work out for me. At the same time, I want the Pixel 2 just as much.
    I have the perfect solution... Have both.
    11-15-2017 09:55 AM
    I have the perfect solution... Have both.
    Genius! :P
    11-15-2017 09:58 AM
    Yeah having both isn't an option.
    11-15-2017 10:22 AM
    I need more time with indoor shots with various lighting sources to see if it is truly that inferior or if my manual shooting chops will help make up for some of the alleged and actual shortcomings.
    Manual modes our not the G6 struggles in lower light.. same with the V30. You can fuss with manual settings for hours and you won't be able to get as good a shot a if you just pick up a Pixel 2, tap to assure you're focused on the right spot, then take the pic. I had both the G6 and V30... They are just not able to match.

And if you want manual controls, just snag an app like Proshot. It gives you pretty much everything that the LG camera gives you, and a few more settings it doesn't.
    11-15-2017 10:26 AM
    I'm getting tired of the headphone jack thing. The adapter Google included had a DAC that is actually superior to the internal DAC in the G6 (US models didn't get the quad DAC). GSMArena tested it out and it's cleaner, louder and has a better frequency response than pretty much anything that doesn't have 'V30’ stamped on its back. So you have to use an adapter. I've been using it and it's done nothing to detract.

Go talk to hard core audiophiles... They've already been living the life of using external accessories to get an audio experience that meets their needs. If the headphone makers got their act together and started making wired USB-C headphones with built in DACs and amps, you could get better audio out of even a $100 phone than best every 3.5mm equipt phone on the market today.. Without having to plug in anything extra anymore.

Fact is the lack of a headphone jack is only a problem now because we're at the start of the transition. Once USB-C accessories are more widespread, that we complained so much will be silly in hindsight.

As for storage, the base is 64G on the Pixel 2, twice the G6. Sure, there are people with legit needs for more than 128G of stuff, but those are in the minority. The vast majority of people would live quite comfortably with 64G, especially when you consider that you'll get free full resolution storage on Photos.

I'm not just going off articles either... I used a G6 for a good 5 months. It was my wife's and she got so feed up with the horrible quality pictures that the G6 took indoors and in lower light that I have her my 6P. The G6 was prone to occasional periods of extreme lag (camera sometimes took ages to open) and the September update had a bug in the memory stack bug that rendered it all but useless.

And LG will pretty much forget it exists once the G7 is released in a few months... Whereas Google will actively support and provide fixes for another three years. And while you might not be keeping a phone for that long, one of these phones is far more likely to be a rough running hot mess in a few months... If it hasn't already started down that road (mine did).

The G6 is a nice phone, but to say the Pixel 2 is a downgrade is way off the mark. The Pixel is faster, smoother (and will stay that way far longer), gets much better battery performance and both the front and rear cameras are vastly superior. The one thing the G6 legitimately has over the Pixel 2 is price... But as to which phone is better? There's really no contest. I was counting the days to the Pixel 2 XL's availability.
    Headphone jack is not about DAC or quality of thereof. Its abkut convenience of being able to plug your heapdphones or any other 3.5 mm aux cable right into the phone without having to carry silly adapters all the time. I personally dont give a damn about DAC or audiophile anything for that matter. Its about convenience that is being taken away by apple and google and htc for no reason whatsoever.
    11-15-2017 10:52 AM
    Headphone jack is not about DAC or quality of thereof. Its abkut convenience of being able to plug your heapdphones or any other 3.5 mm aux cable right into the phone without having to carry silly adapters all the time. I personally dont give a damn about DAC or audiophile anything for that matter. Its about convenience that is being taken away by apple and google and htc for no reason whatsoever.
    Well... I am not one to use multiple sets of headphones, I have one wired set and one BT set. So the dongle is currently seated on my wired set, where it has been since I opened up the box and took the stuff out.

And I get that it can be an inconvenience. But there's a difference between an inconvenience and a problem that warrants a massive uproar. They way people are carrying on, Google disabled the ability to make a phone call. And in most of the discussions, they all talk as if the adapters just don't exist and it is impossible for them to use their wired headphones any more.
    11-15-2017 11:08 AM
    After I have a heated argument discussion with my wife about exchanging a phone again so quickly after purchasing I am likely going to go with a Pixel 2. In terms of product support and updates, the Pixel 2 has a decidedly large advantage here. In terms of depreciation, the Pixel 2 will be worth more after two years than an LG G2, which can be found for half the amount before you get into the second hand marketplace where prices have tumbled.

Having said this, I do not believe the LG G6 is a bad phone by any means. If I knew for a fact that this would be a device with a long support life I would gladly keep it.
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    11-15-2017 02:50 PM
    I thought I had a phone issue....lol.
    Everyone here has phone issues.
    11-15-2017 03:07 PM
    After I have a heated argument discussion with my wife about exchanging a phone again so quickly after purchasing I am likely going to go with a Pixel 2. In terms of product support and updates, the Pixel 2 has a decidedly large advantage here. In terms of depreciation, the Pixel 2 will be worth more after two years than an LG G2, which can be found for half the amount before you get into the second hand marketplace where prices have tumbled.

Having said this, I do not believe the LG G6 is a bad phone by any means. If I knew for a fact that this would be a device with a long support life I would gladly keep it.
    Welcome on board. You'll love it.
    11-15-2017 03:11 PM
    I agree... Other than issues I had with with camera quality, the G6 was really really good. But long term support + camera were my concerns as well.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-15-2017 04:40 PM

You didn't consider the lgv30? I bought it and it's a great phone. Just throwing another in the mix lol
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-15-2017 06:56 PM
    You didn't consider the lgv30? I bought it and it's a great phone. Just throwing another in the mix lol
    The V30 is a really nice phone and due to various circumstances, I was quite close to keeping that... It was an improvement over the G6 in most every way.

'cept the camera still had too many issues. The processing was a bit less heavy handed than the G... But it still pooped it's pants in lower light. The Google Camera helped things a little, but not enough.

Honestly, I am no sure where all the praise I've seen with both phones' cameras. It's like 66% of the time, it's great.. and they only looked at those when they tested them. Or they just overlooked the problems for whatever reason. Dunno.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-2017 08:58 PM
    The V30 is a really nice phone and due to various circumstances, I was quite close to keeping that... It was an improvement over the G6 in most every way.

'cept the camera still had too many issues. The processing was a bit less heavy handed than the G... But it still pooped it's pants in lower light. The Google Camera helped things a little, but not enough.

Honestly, I am no sure where all the praise I've seen with both phones' cameras. It's like 66% of the time, it's great.. and they only looked at those when they tested them. Or they just overlooked the problems for whatever reason. Dunno.
    Could the great camera reviews have been by those who use manual mode? I love the manual camera on my V20, but I learned photography on a manual Canon F1 35mm SLR.
    11-15-2017 09:05 PM
    Could the great camera reviews have been by those who use manual mode? I love the manual camera on my V20, but I learned photography on a manual Canon F1 35mm SLR.
    The camera on those phones are good, it's just not his cup of tea.

I had absolutely no problem with the V20 or G6 cameras.
    11-15-2017 09:09 PM
    I don't know, I just don't put much stock in comments like 'oh, it takes much better pictures when you use manual mode'. I can get a manual camera on my Pixel, I just download one. I don't think you should need to start fussing with manual settings to get a usable picture. And time is often of the essence...
    11-15-2017 10:05 PM
59 123