Buyer's remorse and the LG G6

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Before the flash sale ended, I upgraded to the LG G6 on Verizon. The effective price per month is $14, down from the $28 a month it is financed for.

I'm kind of regretting the purchase and perhaps thinking I would have been happier if I put down the money for a Pixel 2 instead. What has me pausing a bit would be all the reports of issues with the Pixel 2 series. Are they blown out of proportion? Is the Pixel 2 a solid buy? I have 14 days to decide. I think I'm going to honestly give the G6 a shot for a while but I keep hearing the Pixel call my name....

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
re:

Before the flash sale ended, I upgraded to the LG G6 on Verizon. The effective price per month is $14, down from the $28 a month it is financed for.

I'm kind of regretting the purchase and perhaps thinking I would have been happier if I put down the money for a Pixel 2 instead. What has me pausing a bit would be all the reports of issues with the Pixel 2 series. Are they blown out of proportion? Is the Pixel 2 a solid buy? I have 14 days to decide. I think I'm going to honestly give the G6 a shot for a while but I keep hearing the Pixel call my name....
I would say the issues are blown out of proportion. Does it have issues? Sure, but every phone does. These have just been picking up a lot of traction. I would say try the G6 for a while and see if you like it, if not, go for the Pixel. You don't want to spend the next however long you keep the phone, regretting your purchase.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

I didn't mind my G6 when I had it... except for the camera. In low light and even mild light I had issues with some major lag/blur. Other then that it was fun (especially the wide angle lens). If I had a choice though my Pixel 2 XL would be my choice still simply due to updates + better camera performance.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
re:

G6 was a dumpster fire. Had 3 of them and all 3 had bad battery, horrible photos in even medium light, laggy UI, etc. The SD821 cant handle android as smooth as the pixel.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can certainly understand how you are feeling, OP. With all the great phones out there, it's so hard to land and stick with just one. The G6 is awesome but yes, the Pixel 2 series... That's an amazing lineup of phones.

The Pixel 2 (smaller version), to my knowledge, does not have the screen issues that some Pixel 2 XL's have.

I'm in the mixed camp when it comes to the Pixel 2 XL. Yes, reports of burn-in and blue tinted screens make me wary; however, there is always the chance of bias when it comes to the media blowing things out of proportion. Yes, absolutely there are affected devices; but users are more likely to post about/review about affected or dissatisfied purchases than they are to post about happy experiences/positive reviews/etc. This may make the proportion of affected devices seem higher than they actually are. It can make things appear deceiving.

But, Google is combating the screen issues by offering a two-year warranty with your Pixel 2 purchase. So, if you are interested in a Pixel 2 series phone, go for it! You always have the warranty in case something happens!

If it makes you feel any better, one of my friends just pulled the trigger on a Pixel 2 XL on Saturday. He told me he thinks the media has blown things out of proportion. He's super excited to get his! But again, he has the warranty in case. So at least there is a safe cushion for buyers!

Let us know what you decide!

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The issues are blown out of proportion. I have both the XL and the regular. I came from a G6. I didn't have the problems with the camera that some people had, but the Pixel is far better

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
G6 was one of the worst flagships I have owned this year, crappy front facing camera and software. Even Samsung software is 1000 times better than what LG puts. LG is just a wanna be Samsung. If you are coming from G6 Pixel 2 is like a great upgrade. I know G6 gets lots of praise mostly it's priced low and everyone seems to have sympathy for LG because it's an underdog. But personally not a big fan of LG phones and they always mess up something or the other.

anon(9681881)

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
The issues are blown way out of proportion, probably by Samsung and Apple fanboys. I came from the LG G4 and the camera is night and day better.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
G6 was my wife's favorite phone and I think she still kind of prefers it over the Pixel 2xl. But that's her, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I have enjoyed the LG G6 camera so far and the battery on this particular G6 has been reliable. Considering I have a ZAGG screen protector and Otterbox Symmetry case on the phone, it will be kept in reasonably good shape for a return in two weeks should I decide that's the route I want to take.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have enjoyed the LG G6 camera so far and the battery on this particular G6 has been reliable. Considering I have a ZAGG screen protector and Otterbox Symmetry case on the phone, it will be kept in reasonably good shape for a return in two weeks should I decide that's the route I want to take.

Great! It will be in almost-mint condition for you! :)

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I say it's up to you. If you post a topic in a forum, it'll be biased towards that forum. As a person that has actually enjoyed both, you won't be wrong for either. I switched because T-Mobile pushed an update that kind've broke my phone. As long as you don't have that TMO update you'll be fine. hahah

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Re:

G6 was a dumpster fire. Had 3 of them and all 3 had bad battery, horrible photos in even medium light, laggy UI, etc. The SD821 cant handle android as smooth as the pixel.

Wow, I guess I just want to tone that down a bit for the op . . I have a G6 and it's one of the best phones I've had . . Obviously you had a different experience but I wouldn't say it's been a dumpster fire overall.

anon(10334997)

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I say it's up to you. If you post a topic in a forum, it'll be biased towards that forum.

I was hoping I would get a little bit of everything - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I get people will like the G6 for specific reasons just as they would like the Pixel 2. One of the things that I personally need to consider is whether or not I'm getting a minimum two-year phone with the LG G6 or should I opt for possibly a three-year phone with the Pixel 2. LG has the LG Promise which extends the warranty out a 2nd year, and I have elected to take that option in the event I decide to keep the G6.

The G6 isn't a dumpster fire by any means. If you want to know about a dumpster fire, take a gander at the Asus Zenfone V. Started at $384 and within a month they dropped the price to $240. I went through four of them. Verizon finally bought out the contract on the phone and essentially gave me the phone for free.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping I would get a little bit of everything - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I get people will like the G6 for specific reasons just as they would like the Pixel 2. One of the things that I personally need to consider is whether or not I'm getting a minimum two-year phone with the LG G6 or should I opt for possibly a three-year phone with the Pixel 2. LG has the LG Promise which extends the warranty out a 2nd year, and I have elected to take that option in the event I decide to keep the G6.

The G6 isn't a dumpster fire by any means. If you want to know about a dumpster fire, take a gander at the Asus Zenfone V. Started at $384 and within a month they dropped the price to $240. I went through four of them. Verizon finally bought out the contract on the phone and essentially gave me the phone for free.
I will say this, I was fully content with the G6 with no intention of upgrading. But since I upgraded, the Pixel 2 is better. Missing the wide angle lense though.

domhnall dods

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I took the G6 with me on holiday to Canada and for most of the time my proper camera stayed in the bag, I just used the G6 for the majority of my shots. I don't have the money to buy a pixel 2 they may be great but they are too expensive, then add im the lack of a headphone jack and no SD card support. The only downside to the G6 for me is that I cannot find a way to make it connect to Android Auto in my car, it just says it is not supported.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
My G6 on Sprint had been awesome. It was so good that when Best Buy had a one day sale for $120, I had my son jump on it, moving from a Nexus 6. The camera may lag a little bit, but not enough to be a problem for me. Unfortunately, I think carrier updates may have as much to do with a user's experience as anything. Sounds like T-Mobile botched it for their users.

dekesask

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I was using the G6 since it's launch. I love the wide angle lens but found the camera to be slow. I was able to get some excellent pictures from it with landscapes and static things. anything moving was tough cause it loaded so slowly. I did have cell radio issues and lg ended up replacing the device after multiple repair attempts. so I got the pixel 2 (little one) and gave the new G6 to my girlfriend, she likes it and doesn't mind LGs skin, I personally hated LGs version of Android but loved the screen and hand feel of the phone The wide angle lens is the only thing I miss though. it was really fun to use. if you keep the G6 watch the camera glass all my replacement units scratched really really easily. and be prepared to wait and wait for software. my girls is still on the July security patch and that's just wrong.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
OP most issues are with Pixel 2 XL. However, more and more people are reporting that it's a bit overblown. YMMV.

On the other hand, no such issues being reported for the Pixel 2 which I have. I would say that the Pixel 2 is a much superior device compared to the LG G6. Sure the screen is a bit small but every other way - hardware, speakers, software support and camera are superior on the Pixel 2.

The only minor downside is no SD card support but Google does offer full resolution cloud storage so I don't think it has been a issue. I had the original Pixel for 1 year and just upgraded to the Pixel 2. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37