These 'Pixel 2 problem!' stories need to stop

theragtopman

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I was starting to get a little nervous reading so many articles about the "problems" with the Pixel 2 XL while waiting for mine to arrive. Now after having used it for over 10 days, I can honestly say it's one of the most impressive and trouble free phones I've owned. I personally haven't experienced any problems with mine and as mentioned above even the blue shift isn't really a "problem" but rather just a characteristic of the screen. Clearly, all these "problem" articles are driving a lot of traffic and ad revenue for the sites writing them. I hope more prospective buyers get a chance to actually use a Pixel 2 and don't get caught up in the scaremongering before deciding how good a phone it is.

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I did also but the continued stories will cause people to not purchase a solid phone. This in turn will result in less accessories being produced.
I am very happy with the Pixel 2 XL but am disappointed with the lack of quality accessories , like tempered glass screen protectors.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think in time, these stories will die down and the media will focus on the next "phone issue" to blow out of proportion or to sensationalise. Look at what happened with the Note 7 - it took a while, but things died down for Samsung. They'll die down for Google, too.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think in time, these stories will die down and the media will focus on the next "phone issue" to blow out of proportion or to sensationalise. Look at what happened with the Note 7 - it took a while, but things died down for Samsung. They'll die down for Google, too.

But the difference is that those phones were ACTUALLY CATCHING ON FIRE!!!

The worst the Pixel 2 XL ever did was have a few screens exhibit possible burn in / image retention.

I hope you're right and these stories not only die down but are mostly forgotten, like they should be.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
But the difference is that those phones were ACTUALLY CATCHING ON FIRE!!!

The worst the Pixel 2 XL ever did was have a few screens exhibit possible burn in / image retention.

I hope you're right and these stories not only die down but are mostly forgotten, like they should be.

For sure! There's an enormous difference between the two cases - I meant that, even with an issue that large, things still died down for Samsung. So hopefully the media will move on to actual issues with other devices!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... the narrative has been shifting to more "the initial reports were a little overcooked" approach now. Everyone is starting to just enjoy the phone.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I know most of the negativity was directed at the XL but some has been pointed at the smaller one as well. I saw a YouTube video the other day that was recently posted and the headline was "Pixel 2 bootloader issues"

I know the dude is just trying to get clicks but c'mon man.. Whatever happened to fair and honest reporting? Most of these 'experts' are nothing of the sort. They are simply trying to get clicks with outrageous headlines and overblown issues that they themselves have created and spread.

Edit: Here is the video post Nov 17th...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFL0aA2nHcU

My Pixel 2 (5" version) has been outstanding and it's easily the best phone I've ever owned.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Silly thing about the bootloader thing is a) there is a work around b) a fix is in the pipeline and c) this actually only impacts a very small number of customers.... Those who bought from Google and want to flash a custom kernel or ROM, or root the phone.

The work around, it seems, just requires an extra FDR (making sure you're on the network at boot) before attempting to unlock, which shouldn't bother anyone since it'll reset when you unlock anyhow.

So what probably amounts to a minor, temporary annoyance to a very small audience warrants headlines throughout Android-dom... SMH

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When Google went from moderately priced excellent Nexus line to flagship priced Pixel 2 line it is natural scrutiny increased and reviewers weren't hooked before they even saw the phone. Nexus was aimed at a specific audience. Pixel at everyone. Google phones will never be everyone's cup of tea.
The 2 year warranty along with frequent updates and deep price cuts more than compensate for the only problem that bothers me - burn in.

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
People still expect Nexus 4 type of deals from Google among the $1000 price tag from other manufacturers.

With the Pixel, people complain about the most ridiculous things.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
When Google went from moderately priced excellent Nexus line to flagship priced Pixel 2 line it is natural scrutiny increased and reviewers weren't hooked before they even saw the phone. Nexus was aimed at a specific audience. Pixel at everyone. Google phones will never be everyone's cup of tea.
The 2 year warranty along with frequent updates and deep price cuts more than compensate for the only problem that bothers me - burn in.

I agree with you. I myself had the Nexus 5 and loved it. But as you've said, Google had been targeting a different audience at the time. It was essentially mid-range or flagship killer and now its high-end with way more cutting-edge/mainstream features.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. I myself had the Nexus 5 and loved it. But as you've said, Google had been targeting a different audience at the time. It was essentially mid-range or flagship killer and now its high-end with way more cutting-edge/mainstream features.
I just feel bad for those who paid full price with deals available now.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

What deals are those? I am not aware of any deals for people buying the unlocked versions to use on AT&T, T-Mobile, and the smaller carriers.. Verizon has a deal but not everyone is on Verizon.

Are there deals on the unlocked Pixel 2's that I somehow missed?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

In Canada, the Pixel 2 is $199 with a two-year contract at Rogers; and they've now sliced that to $0 for a limited time! Not sure how long it will last - hopefully it lasts a bit longer, as my contract isn't up yet. 😂

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Are there deals on the unlocked Pixel 2's that I somehow missed?

Only one I was aware of was TMobile kicking $325 as a rebate. You needed to add a line, so it's $325 minus two months of a new line or so... But it was better than nothing. It expired a few weeks ago though.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If you're having doubts go big
Not really having any doubts but wondering if this whole thing with the 2 XL was overblown. I originally had ordered the 2 XL and by the time it arrived at my house I'd already processed the return and immediately put it back in the mail without even opening the box. Lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not really having any doubts but wondering if this whole thing with the 2 XL was overblown. I originally had ordered the 2 XL and by the time it arrived at my house I'd already processed the return and immediately put it back in the mail without even opening the box. Lol

After owning a large phone I can't go smaller and the XL is easier to to hold than my last phone. The screen issues are non-existent in my case except for a slight blue shift.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Every single Pixel XL 2 I've looked at looks great. I'd order without hesitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol