New Google Pixel 2 does not let you save contacts to device

Status
Not open for further replies.

9900Boldfan

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
After paying over $1000 I was quite disappointed to find out that I could not save contacts to device. Pixel 2 buyers are forced to save to Gmail once they have logged into Gmail or Google Maps. The old option to choose where to save new contacts to is now gone and that made me put the smartphone back in the box and ship it back to Google. What good is a $1000 so called smartphone if it can not even save contacts to device? They call this a smartphone?? Even basic cheap devices allow you to save to device..

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why you oppose saving to Gmail/Google, which saves it to the cloud and you can access it anywhere.

If you only save it to your device, what happens if your phone bricks or gets wiped? You lose all your contacts and have to get everyone's info again.

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
OP you DO reize this is an Android thing and has nothing do with your "$1000" device right? Feel free to sell your "$1000" device, buy a $100 one and enjoy the same issue but now with less justification to complain. Oh and btw your contacts are on your device...proof, go into airplane mode and look up a contact....huh, shock and awe....it's there.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm personally happy about this. Found the hard way not to save to decide on my first Android phone and lost a lot of contacts. Was about and time consuming. I didn't realize this was still an option but must have been as I lost several contacts between my htc 10 and 2 XL

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
This must have been your 1st smartphone. It's been years since that old way of saving contacts has existed. This way is better cause if you lose your phone and get a new one you do not ever have to worry about lost contact information. So unless this was your 1st phone, you are trolling this forum and this thread needs to be closed.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Because saving to device is inferior? Saving to Google doesn't mean you need to be online to access your contacts. Saving to Google still saves your contacts to device, with the added benefit of automatic cloud save.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
After paying over $1000 I was quite disappointed to find out that I could not save contacts to device. Pixel 2 buyers are forced to save to Gmail once they have logged into Gmail or Google Maps. The old option to choose where to save new contacts to is now gone and that made me put the smartphone back in the box and ship it back to Google. What good is a $1000 so called smartphone if it can not even save contacts to device? They call this a smartphone?? Even basic cheap devices allow you to save to device..

Did you get the Pixel 2 XL 128 GB? That is the only way it is a $1k device :p.

Also yes -- why save locally to the device? A smartphone is meant to make your life easier. Saving it to your Google account will keep it on your phone and also in the cloud so if you have to wipe, swap phones, etc. you will have all your contacts. I would actually call it more of a smartphone feature to do this versus it saving to the device.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this can't be real. I mean, you're complaining that you HAVE to sync your contacts with Gmail so they're always backed up? Wow.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can transfer my contacts from device to device so contacts are stored on the device as far as I know. They are backed up to Google and sometimes your carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.