11-22-2017 10:40 AM
89 123 ...
tools
    After paying over $1000 I was quite disappointed to find out that I could not save contacts to device. Pixel 2 buyers are forced to save to Gmail once they have logged into Gmail or Google Maps. The old option to choose where to save new contacts to is now gone and that made me put the smartphone back in the box and ship it back to Google. What good is a $1000 so called smartphone if it can not even save contacts to device? They call this a smartphone?? Even basic cheap devices allow you to save to device..
    11-15-2017 01:40 AM
    best over reaction ever
    11-15-2017 03:13 AM
    I'm not sure why you oppose saving to Gmail/Google, which saves it to the cloud and you can access it anywhere.

If you only save it to your device, what happens if your phone bricks or gets wiped? You lose all your contacts and have to get everyone's info again.
    11-15-2017 03:44 AM
    OP you DO reize this is an Android thing and has nothing do with your "$1000" device right? Feel free to sell your "$1000" device, buy a $100 one and enjoy the same issue but now with less justification to complain. Oh and btw your contacts are on your device...proof, go into airplane mode and look up a contact....huh, shock and awe....it's there.
    nelamvr6, bhatech, GPuba and 2 others like this.
    11-15-2017 04:59 AM
    I'm personally happy about this. Found the hard way not to save to decide on my first Android phone and lost a lot of contacts. Was about and time consuming. I didn't realize this was still an option but must have been as I lost several contacts between my htc 10 and 2 XL
    11-15-2017 05:02 AM
    WOW......just WOW. Pick up a motorola RAZR phone ,,,,you will be much happier.
    11-15-2017 05:06 AM
    This must have been your 1st smartphone. It's been years since that old way of saving contacts has existed. This way is better cause if you lose your phone and get a new one you do not ever have to worry about lost contact information. So unless this was your 1st phone, you are trolling this forum and this thread needs to be closed.
    11-15-2017 05:09 AM
    Because saving to device is inferior? Saving to Google doesn't mean you need to be online to access your contacts. Saving to Google still saves your contacts to device, with the added benefit of automatic cloud save.
    11-15-2017 05:09 AM
    Maybe he's hoping tech blogs will pick up this new "issue".
    11-15-2017 06:49 AM
    Maybe he's hoping tech blogs will pick up this new "issue". ������
    New pixel 2 issue phone turned off after not charging it .
    nelamvr6, GPuba and anon(10092459) like this.
    11-15-2017 07:06 AM
    best over reaction ever
    Best response to said over reaction ever 😂😂😂
    GPuba, anon(10092459) and svenEDGE like this.
    11-15-2017 07:42 AM
    The mind boggles...
    11-15-2017 07:48 AM
    best over reaction ever
    Lol. People like this are why I take breaks from these forums for weeks at a time.
    11-15-2017 09:00 AM
    After paying over $1000 I was quite disappointed to find out that I could not save contacts to device. Pixel 2 buyers are forced to save to Gmail once they have logged into Gmail or Google Maps. The old option to choose where to save new contacts to is now gone and that made me put the smartphone back in the box and ship it back to Google. What good is a $1000 so called smartphone if it can not even save contacts to device? They call this a smartphone?? Even basic cheap devices allow you to save to device..
    Did you get the Pixel 2 XL 128 GB? That is the only way it is a $1k device :P.

Also yes -- why save locally to the device? A smartphone is meant to make your life easier. Saving it to your Google account will keep it on your phone and also in the cloud so if you have to wipe, swap phones, etc. you will have all your contacts. I would actually call it more of a smartphone feature to do this versus it saving to the device.
    GPuba and D1andOnlyOmen like this.
    11-15-2017 09:06 AM
    Lol. People like this are why I take breaks from these forums for weeks at a time.
    I hope you don't visit other places online (like Reddit) if you think something like this is that bad :P.
    Guyinbox likes this.
    11-15-2017 09:07 AM
    Can you just choose not to sync your contacts in the account settings? Wouldn't the contacts then only exist on the phone?
    GPuba likes this.
    11-15-2017 09:15 AM
    Maybe he's hoping tech blogs will pick up this new "issue".
    Lol

Seriously at this point I won't be surprised if we see a sensational article about this.
    GPuba and anon(10092459) like this.
    11-15-2017 09:31 AM
    Yeah, this can't be real. I mean, you're complaining that you HAVE to sync your contacts with Gmail so they're always backed up? Wow.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    11-15-2017 09:36 AM
    It's like my favorite function on Android.. Makes it easy to switch without losing anything. Lol
    11-15-2017 09:52 AM
    I can transfer my contacts from device to device so contacts are stored on the device as far as I know. They are backed up to Google and sometimes your carrier.
    11-15-2017 09:58 AM
    If I had spent $1,000 on a device that retails for $649, me thinks I'd have have bigger problems than where to save my contacts...
    11-15-2017 10:18 AM
    This is not a troll. Most smartphones on the market give you the option to save to device or save to Gmail. Those that wish to back up their contacts to the cloud should have the "OPTION" to do so and not be forced to do so. There is a difference between having the "OPTION" to do so and being "FORCED" to do so.

For those that would like to save everything on a cloud can do so but those that wish to save to their device should also have this option and right to do so. It's about privacy. This thread does not need to be closed. If you do not like it or like to engage in a debate that discusses end user option then you can choose to ignore it. Then down the road end users will have no options to choose from.
    11-15-2017 10:21 AM
    If you have ever used WeChat you can tell that making device switches is not all that hard. It allows you to make switches to new phones very easily by placing the two devices next to each other and then over a wifi network you can easily transfer all contacts and chats over to the new device. Smartphone manufacturers have actually made switching over for new users very easy over the years.

One can also backup to an external storage device via third party storage since this option to have this storage via memory card was not a feature on this phone.

Apple for example could do the same if they wanted to as well. On the iPhones you save to device but if you want you can turn on iCloud backup and backup to the iCloud. This is how it should be. One should have the option. Not have no option and be forced to like the no option method. On the iPhone one actually has another option and that is to sync to iTunes on your own computer. Apple actually gives users 3 options while with the new Pixel 2 one has no "OPTIONS".

I wanted to own both devices so I bought the Pixel 2 XL as well but I can see that I went from 3 options to no "OPTION" now. Google just wants everyone to save all their info on their servers so they can know more about everyone since they are a search engine.
    11-15-2017 10:30 AM
    This is not a troll. Most smartphones on the market give you the option to save to device or save to Gmail. Those that wish to back up their contacts to the cloud should have the "OPTION" to do so and not be forced to do so. There is a difference between having the "OPTION" to do so and being "FORCED" to do so.

For those that would like to save everything on a cloud can do so but those that wish to save to their device should also have this option and right to do so. It's about privacy. This thread does not need to be closed. If you do not like it or like to engage in a debate that discusses end user option then you can choose to ignore it. Then down the road end users will have no options to choose from.
    Actually no, saving to device doesn't mean that it's not saving to cloud. It just means it's saving to a different cloud compared to Google. For example, saving to device on a Samsung phone would back it up to Samsung Cloud.

Also, we are talking about a Pixel here. While Android is about options, the Pixel stands not as developer devices like Nexus were, but as an example of what Google's vision of Android is. And that vision has everyone backing up to Google.

There is nothing wrong with the device or Google's decision because there is no functional difference between saving to device and saving to cloud. The whole point of this thread is that you do not agree with Google's vision and wish to keep your data off Google, which makes your decision to purchase Google branded product questionable.

I would advise you to just return the Pixel and do not consider buying a Pixel again if you have qualms about your data on Google because that's the point of the Pixel in the first place: Google's desired future, with all your data on their cloud.
    11-15-2017 10:33 AM
    I did not get the cheapest one from Google A 128GB Pixel 2 XL from Google is $949 and with tax it is over $1000. I bought the best they had to offer and was expecting the best options out of it too.

https://store.google.com/us/config/pixel_2?hl=en-US
    11-15-2017 10:33 AM
89 123 ...