I really appreciate this type of commentary that highlights an overall vision. Pixel is just one piece of an overall, and grander, vision coming from Google. This piece from AA captures why I am on board with where they're going.

https://www.androidauthority.com/goo...rdware-812375/

*Sidebar* Shame AC keeps missing the forest focusing on the trees lately .. IJS.
    nelamvr6 likes this.
    11-16-2017 08:34 PM
    Interesting article...
    DMP89145 likes this.
    11-16-2017 09:25 PM
    AC has been getting bad lately. I mean really, every Android blog has been dumping on the pixel 2 nowadays. One person States they have a problem in the forum, and next thing you know it's a headline article in all of these sites. It's all about the money, plain and simple. Kind of sad really, I expected better from AC.
    11-16-2017 11:09 PM
    AC has been getting bad lately. I mean really, every Android blog has been dumping on the pixel 2 nowadays. One person States they have a problem in the forum, and next thing you know it's a headline article in all of these sites. It's all about the money, plain and simple. Kind of sad really, I expected better from AC.
    I feel the same.. I don't understand a lot of went on with the media and the Pixel 2, especially the XL.

I mean, the Pixel 2/2XL won't even sell 10 million units annually. I just can't see Google increasing that many units year over year. Pixel brand and it's market share is so small, it's not worth measuring or breaking out a separate line item on Google's books yet.

You wouldn't think that looking at the level of sensationalism that surrounded the 2ND YEAR RELEASE of the Pixel line. You would think they're moving 100 million units minimum.

But I guess anytime you mention Google it generates a lot of attention/clicks/revenue.
    11-17-2017 12:46 PM
    I feel the same.. I don't understand a lot of went on with the media and the Pixel 2, especially the XL.

I mean, the Pixel 2/2XL won't even sell 10 million units annually. I just can't see Google increasing that many units year over year. Pixel brand and it's market share is so small, it's not worth measuring or breaking out a separate line item on Google's books yet.

You wouldn't think that looking at the level of sensationalism that surrounded the 2ND YEAR RELEASE of the Pixel line. You would think they're moving 100 million units minimum.

But I guess anytime you mention Google it generates a lot of attention/clicks/revenue.
    It is a delicate balance that the blog side has to do. Do they write about the issues that are being presented around the web? If they do.. They get what you guys are saying. It was all for clicks. If they don't write about it others will say "See AC is just ignoring the issues because they are Pixel fan boys!"

There is no true "win" when it comes to this type of thing.
    Ry likes this.
    11-17-2017 12:52 PM
    It is a delicate balance that the blog side has to do. Do they write about the issues that are being presented around the web? If they do.. They get what you guys are saying. It was all for clicks. If they don't write about it others will say "See AC is just ignoring the issues because they are Pixel fan boys!"

There is no true "win" when it comes to this type of thing.
    I don't disagree with your premise, but every website has a tone. Curating content is key. I feel that maybe AC has had a shift in tone and maybe a tilt towards sensationalism is more acceptable than in the past.

I don't want to seem dismissive of the difficulty with curation in the least. Those decisions are tough, for sure; but discipline is important.
    b_edwards likes this.
    11-17-2017 01:51 PM
    I don't disagree with your premise, but every website has a tone. Curating content is key. I feel that maybe AC has had a shift in tone and maybe a tilt towards sensationalism is more acceptable than in the past.
    No issue with that. Everyone can have an opinion .
    11-17-2017 01:53 PM
    Not wanting to start a conspiracy theory here but, it's always better to nip the competition on the bud... and we all know how much $$$ the other ( two) big players are.........
    11-17-2017 02:42 PM
    I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something, but that AA article seems kind of light on actual information and heavy on cheerleadery BS and oversized decorative visuals. I'm not saying AC content is any better or worse, but I wouldn't call that AA article on AI anything to aspire to.
    11-17-2017 03:12 PM
    Every smartphone website, podcast radio show, etc has to do the dance. Because if you don't, you quickly find out you're the guy who didn't get an invite to this year's keynote or didn't get the review unit,or had your advertising pulled etc. And yeah that happens unless you're BIG media in which case Samsung, Google, Apple etc has to cater to you. I'm no expert but I have repeatedly heard the staff at TWiT (who have had several members of Mobile Nations on as guests - if not weekly members ie. Rene Ritchie on Mac Break Weekly - among other blog sites) talk about this. I know some staffers at sites like this get annoyed whenever this gets brought up, but it's an issue and it's up to the buyer to make up their own mind. Not my 2 cents by the way, if someone here takes exception to this they can take it up with Leo
    11-17-2017 05:24 PM
    Every smartphone website, podcast radio show, etc has to do the dance. Because if you don't, you quickly find out you're the guy who didn't get an invite to this year's keynote or didn't get the review unit,or had your advertising pulled etc. And yeah that happens unless you're BIG media in which case Samsung, Google, Apple etc has to cater to you. I'm no expert but I have repeatedly heard the staff at TWiT (who have had several members of Mobile Nations on as guests - if not weekly members ie. Rene Ritchie on Mac Break Weekly - among other blog sites) talk about this. I know some staffers at sites like this get annoyed whenever this gets brought up, but it's an issue and it's up to the buyer to make up their own mind. Not my 2 cents by the way, if someone here takes exception to this they can take it up with Leo
    I don't really think that issue is as big as it's made out. Outside of Apple, I haven't heard of a smartphone OEM rescinding access to their products, and when Apple did it, it was with Gizmodo after the iPhone left in a bar situation (which is still think was an intentional PR move rather than an accident, that was tons of free advertising for Apple).

But some of these stories are getting a bit over the top. The LED lighting issue with the camera for example. That issue isn't isolated to the Pixels, every camera is susceptible to it if the lighting is lower quality. And if Google updated the camera app to allow the user to set the shutter speed, it would be a total non issue even with cheap lighting.

Then there are the issues that were reported by a few people and they're on the front page like it's a widespread issue. Dollars to doughnuts it's either a random production/component issue or a problem of certain apps affecting other parts of the OS. But unless it truly is widespread, then it's not an inherent issue with the device, otherwise every phone would be affected.

When there's an issue, and i experience it, I'll be the first to speak up. But if I'm in the minority of affected users, I won't expect everyone to also be affected. What I'll do in that situation is talk with others who have the issue and see what commonalities we share and narrow down the probable causes. That's troubleshooting 101. And I should know, I did electronics troubleshooting for around 15 years.
    11-17-2017 11:11 PM
    I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something, but that AA article seems kind of light on actual information and heavy on cheerleadery BS and oversized decorative visuals. I'm not saying AC content is any better or worse, but I wouldn't call that AA article on AI anything to aspire to.
    I can see your point. IMO, I think we have a ton of discussion threads already around specs and features and everything else granular with phones. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad to have a discussion around a different topic for a change.

Personally, I think that computing is changing and that piece does a fairly good job of articulating the overall direction that I believe Google is trying to strive towards.
    11-18-2017 02:26 PM
    Well, everyone pulls in their own bias. Im a little annoyed with some of the things AC has done lately... There's even one of the main editors in the podcasts that appears to have a mysterious ax to grind.

I figure things will settle down... The hyperbolic madness will fade away and things will calm down.
    11-19-2017 01:00 AM
    bring back Phil!
    Sophos likes this.
    11-19-2017 11:01 AM