Pixel 2 XL vs Samsung S8.. HELP!!

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Had a pre-order for the Pixel 2 XL, and canceled it after I checked out multiple devices at Verizon stores, this was pre update models. Blue tint was awful and the screen quality sucked. I wanted the quick updates and stock OS, but couldn't fork over $900 for a subpar screen. Had horrible experiences with LG previously on my G4. Google also wouldn't take my G4 for a trade in.

Samsung did and love my Note 8 so far. Packed with features and super fast. Great screen and if you really like the Pixel camera, someone already ported the Pixel Camera App to other Android phones. So now I'm rocking both the stock Samsung camera app AND the Pixel Camera. Love it.

I'll wait until Google starts manufacturing their own phones. Once they do, I'm definitely headed back to Google for stock OS and quick updates. Future is bright for Google but they're just not ready yet.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
@SpoonerNLT, I first want to apologise as I meant to provide more in depth feedback sooner and started to, but it sounded bad and then real life happened and I forgot.

As others have said, it'll come down to personal preference. Since Android began as a phone OS, I've had HTC, Samsung, LG, so I've had good time to form my own opinions. In prefer the pixel for the pure vanilla experience, timely updates, and now the camera and the expectation of a solid preforming phone for as long as I have it.

I don't like the Samsung overlay, whatever they call it now, and had n my phone lag quickly. Plus, updates are free and far between and there is no guarantee how long it will be updated (Google has said at least 3 years for this pixel generation). Their screens are bright but that makes things look unnatural. On the plus side, and 3rd party makes accessories for them so you have plenty of choices with whatever u may want. Also, for me, I don't need the edge display and see no usefulness for it, though it does look good, not a pen for my phone.

My pixel 2 xl has the blue shift but the only time I noticed it was when I pulled it out of there box and turned it own. Even then it's because I looked for it because of all the press. But the fact that the iPhone X and Samsung's have blue shift just, in my opinion, shows the bias reporting. As for the other reported screen issues, I've had none and I've had my phone since launch.

As with news, i"f it bleeds, it leads", and I think that explains the reporting. I think bloggers and YouTubers (if that's even a word) jumped on everything they could in an effort to get clicks.

Hope these posts help. Your original post said you were originally planning on buying the 2 xl, I'd still go with it. If you get a bad unit you can return it and have a 2 year warranty. It seems like that was your original preference so go with it and decide for yourself.

husslord

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I came from the iPhone 6s plus, have the 2 XL and for the blue tint I don't notice especially with my screen protector. As for burn in......had it for about 5 weeks or more now and nothing. Loving the phone!

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Had a pre-order for the Pixel 2 XL, and canceled it after I checked out multiple devices at Verizon stores, this was pre update models. Blue tint was awful and the screen quality sucked. I wanted the quick updates and stock OS, but couldn't fork over $900 for a subpar screen. Had horrible experiences with LG previously on my G4. Google also wouldn't take my G4 for a trade in.

Samsung did and love my Note 8 so far. Packed with features and super fast. Great screen and if you really like the Pixel camera, someone already ported the Pixel Camera App to other Android phones. So now I'm rocking both the stock Samsung camera app AND the Pixel Camera. Love it.

I'll wait until Google starts manufacturing their own phones. Once they do, I'm definitely headed back to Google for stock OS and quick updates. Future is bright for Google but they're just not ready yet.

Yeah I'm getting the Note 8 myself. I just purchased accessories for it. I'm still keeping my Pixel 2 XL though.