Pixel 2 XL vs Samsung S8.. HELP!!

SpoonerMLT

Nov 17, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm looking into buying either the Pixel 2 XL or the Samsung S8. Originally I was going to buy the Pixel 2 XL but then I heard about the blue shift and faint colours on the XL's screen. Is it really that bad?

SpoonerMLT

Nov 17, 2017
Visit site
What about burn in? Did you guys have any issues? I'm asking because I use my phones as a satnav for an average of an hour a day and I don't want the screen to crap out after a few months.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've never had an AMOLED phone burn in despite being used as a satnav (Galaxy S, S3 mini, Note 2, S7Edge), but bear in mind that I have it on auto brightness only, and Waze is set to forced night mode, even in day time, not only because I like it that way (I use dark themes wherever I can), but because that also helps prevent burn in.

I don't know how the Pixel handles immersive mode, I hear it's not good compared to Samsung and LG's version. But you want to use that whenever possible to get the nav keys off screen when not in use.

Otherwise from what I've seen, the supposed issues on the Pixel screen is overblown, with the possible exception of burn in. We haven't heard much after the update though so it was probably image retention.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe you'll have that problem. I switched from the S8+ to the 2xl and I love it. Plus, if you did ever get into a problem with screen burn in, Google has extended the warranty for the Pixel to 2 years. That means for no fee or deductible, you can get your phone repaired or replaced from that problem.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it's that bad. Skip the Pixel 2 XL. I'm not kidding, the screen is annoying and all around terrible. Grab a used s8+ and wait for the next cycle of phones. I can't believe Google let such a bad screen grace an otherwise brilliant device. LGs poled is trash.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it's that bad. Skip the Pixel 2 XL. I'm not kidding, the screen is annoying and all around terrible. Grab a used s8+ and wait for the next cycle of phones. I can't believe Google let such a bad screen grace an otherwise brilliant device. LGs poled is trash.

How about the regular P2 screen?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Blue shift isn't that bad. Some have reported worse than others but the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Some reviewers mention that Samsung and the iPhone X both have it.. While not as pronounced, they both do it.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm looking into buying either the Pixel 2 XL or the Samsung S8. Originally I was going to buy the Pixel 2 XL but then I heard about the blue shift and faint colours on the XL's screen. Is it really that bad?

I'm nearing the end of 3 weeks with the Pixel 2xl. I also have the Note 8 and the iPhone 8+. The Pixel and the NOTE 8 are the best of the 3. And I prefer the Pixel over the Note simply because of feature overload on the Note.

There is NO doubt some people had issues with the screen. But its just as clear that the issue was way overhyped. If you get a S8+, it will indeed have a blue shift also. Most likely, there was a bad batch of phones. Most of the reports of screen issues and washed colors occurred in that first batch. If you read the posts and notice the post dates, you'll see 2 things. New reports of issues have almost died. And the reports of the issue occurred primarily in the 1 and 2nd releases. Also notice that the 'No Problems here' comments far exceed the reports of issues.

At work yesterday, we held a NOTE 8 and Pixel 2xl side by side and took a picture of the Indian fellow. The NOTE 8's colors were vibrant and outstanding in comparison to the Pixel. The only problem was, it did NOT accurately represent the actual color of the fine fellow. The Pixel represented the actual skin color correctly. The NOTE over represented it. So the question is....which would you prefer? I'm kind of leaning to the Natural.

There is no doubt that persons like AustinTech, experienced issues. But the responses by others with the Pixel 2xl, that had no, or very limited scenarios, were also high...but far less talked about.

Finally, notice the warnings on the iPhone X. Blue Shift, and possible screen burn in. So its not a Pixel condition...its a wide spread scenario.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm nearing the end of 3 weeks with the Pixel 2xl. I also have the Note 8 and the iPhone 8+. The Pixel and the NOTE 8 are the best of the 3. And I prefer the Pixel over the Note simply because of feature overload on the Note.

There is NO doubt some people had issues with the screen. But its just as clear that the issue was way overhyped. If you get a S8+, it will indeed have a blue shift also. Most likely, there was a bad batch of phones. Most of the reports of screen issues and washed colors occurred in that first batch. If you read the posts and notice the post dates, you'll see 2 things. New reports of issues have almost died. And the reports of the issue occurred primarily in the 1 and 2nd releases. Also notice that the 'No Problems here' comments far exceed the reports of issues.

At work yesterday, we held a NOTE 8 and Pixel 2xl side by side and took a picture of the Indian fellow. The NOTE 8's colors were vibrant and outstanding in comparison to the Pixel. The only problem was, it did NOT accurately represent the actual color of the fine fellow. The Pixel represented the actual skin color correctly. The NOTE over represented it. So the question is....which would you prefer? I'm kind of leaning to the Natural.

There is no doubt that persons like AustinTech, experienced issues. But the responses by others with the Pixel 2xl, that had no, or very limited scenarios, were also high...but far less talked about.

Finally, notice the warnings on the iPhone X. Blue Shift, and possible screen burn in. So its not a Pixel condition...its a wide spread scenario.
Have you set the Note 8 screen to basic mode (this is the most color accurate mode for Samsungs). Just curious on how it compares.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
ok, so my 6P died last month so I was forced to get a phone right away. I ordered the S8+ while I waited for my 2XL to arrive.

I've had both now for the last two weeks and I'm keeping the S8+ and returning the 2XL, here's why:

First off, I am not a fan boy either way, I just want the best phone for me, so my reasons may not apply to you, but I know it's always nice to get different perspectives.

The screen - before the update on the 2XL, the S8+ screen was heads and shoulders above in terms of color saturation, deep blacks etc. After the update, the two screens are very, very similar except for one thing... The blue tint. Others have said it isn't that bad, but on mine, it's BAD, much, much worse then the S8+, bad enough that it would bother me in day to day use.

The feel - in the hand the S8+ just feels more premium, the 2XL feels very light and kinda hollow when tapping on the screen, it doesn't have that wow factor in the hand.

This may seem like a small thing to some, but for me it was actually one of the top features I was looking for in a new phone and that's the always on display. I was very disappointed in the AOD on the 2XL, it lacked customization, was very "dull" looking especially in comparison to the S8+ and it was terrible in figuring out if I was in a bright or dark room and when I was in a dark room, the brightness level was so low I could barely see it. Can Google fix this with a software update? Sure and I'm sure they will, but for now it just didn't cut it for me. The S8+ shows the song and artist playing on the AOD and I've come to really love that while driving. Google's always listening song display is slow and doesn't work all the time, just not reliable.

Wireless charging - didn't realize how much I love this feature, I have two docks, one at work, one at home and I simply plop my phone on it (both are angled so I can see sitting at desk and in bed at home) and all wires are tucked away neatly. Google missed the boat on this one.

Software - So coming from the 6P I had "pure Android" and I didn't think I was going to like a skin, but I have to say, besides the apps I really don't need, I really like the Samsung skin, it gives the phone a more polished refined feeling that you just don't get with stock Android which now feels kinda dated in it's design. I run Nova on any phone I have, so stock launchers and icons etc never play into my decisions. I'm on the Oreo beta and things are running smoothly, so I'm not very concerned about software updates if it looks like Samsung is trying to keep up better then before.

Cost - I picked up my S8+ for about $700, the 2XL after taxes is coming in over $900, I'm just not seeing the cost difference there, why I would pay over $200 more.

The fingerprint scanner - Holy S@*t Samsung, what the hell were you thinking? The 6P and the 2XL have the fingerprint scanner down perfect, do that next time please. With that said, you do adjust, but it is just not as smooth as the 2XL.

I do prefer the button placement on the 2XL more, but not a deal breaker for the S8+

So Google - get Samsung to make your next Pixel and I will be the first in line.

Last edited:

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I went from S8 to Pixel 2 and 2 XL. Blue tint is nothing. Same as all of the display pixels I looked at weren't that bad. It's there but nothing that's bothering me. My pixels have had no issues.
Yeah the colours are a little flat but only when compared to other screens. You'll have the colour option too.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
IMO hardware better on the Samsung, software better on the pixel. I think that’s the choice here tbh.

theragtopman

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
As you can see, there are as many good opinions here as there are good smartphones on the market right now! Over the past year I have owned an original Pixel XL, a Galaxy S8, a Moto G5 Plus (don't ask), a V30, and now a Pixel 2 XL. In my humble opinion, the Pixel 2 XL is the best of the bunch, currently (at least for me!).

I feel that way because it has the quickest and smoothest operation and it simply takes the best photos of any phone I've had. This is literally the first phone I've ever used that does not skip or lag or stutter ever - not when booting, opening and app, scrolling a long webpage or timeline, etc. While the S8 and V30 and other phones using the 835 chipset are quick at opening apps, they all lag and stutter and hesitate when scrolling within apps and it's a noticeable distraction, at least for me. As for the camera, the Pixel 2 is the first phone I feel can legitimately replace my dSLR. I've genuinely been impressed with almost every photo I've taken, especially in low light and portraits. I find myself actually taking pictures for the sake of taking pictures and I haven't pulled my dSLR out of it's bag since getting my Pixel 2 XL. Admittedly, it's not quite as good as a dSLR, but as they say "the best camera is the one you have with you" and I haven't found a situation yet where I've regretted not lugging my dSLR with me.

As for negatives, I wish the Pixel 2 XL were physically smaller. Both the S8 and the V30 are noticeably thinner and smaller and just feel amazing in hand and look great with their thinner bezels. I also wish Google offered more options and customizations. Both Samsung and LG offer far more settings such as the ability to hide the navigation keys and apply system wide themes.

As far as some of the other things folks have noted about the Pixel 2 XL, it just depends on what's important to each buyer. The blue shift is not a "problem" but rather a characteristic of the OLED panel. It's there, but no worse in my opinion than the red shift I see on so many Samsung phones and the yellow shift I see on my original Pixel. As far as hardware, the Pixel doesn't have a headphone jack. Personally, I already had Bluetooth headphones and use Bluetooth in my car, so I don't miss it. And I've come to really appreciate the dual front speakers when showing videos to others. But If you use headphones a lot, it's obviously a problem. The Pixel doesn't have wireless charging, which I really liked (and needed) on both by S8 and V30. I simply haven't needed to plug in during the day once with my Pixel 2 XL and am regularly getting over 6 hours of SOT. The Pixel 2 has also surprised and delighted me a couple unexpected ways. I really like the music recognition on the always on display as it's not only a fun party trick to impress others, but it's frequently useful. I'm almost shocked that I use the squeeze feature to bring up Google Assistant as I figured it would be one of the first things I'd disable, but it's been quite helpful to have on several occasions. And I'm glad I waited for the black and white color scheme as I think the phone actually looks pretty good and stands out among other phones, especially compared to my original Pixel XL which wash just a boring black slab any way you looked at it.

I'm not sure there is a "perfect" smartphone out there yet as each of the current flagships have their strengths and weaknesses. The good thing is that based on what your needs are, there should be something to make you happy! And after reading the specs on the OnePlus 5T announced today for only $500, we have another strong contender to consider!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I think it's less a matter of an inherent issue with the tech and more an issue of certain runs having issue. I looked at a pair of 2 XL's at Best Buy a week ago and neither of them were any worse than the Note 8 units on display. And neither of the 2 XLs had been updated yet, but the update was in the notification bar. So it's more an issue with yields than that every single display has the issue. I have the Pixel 2 regular and up until my aforementioned visit I had no actual hands on to speak of.

My advice to anyone experiencing the display issue and the update didn't resolve it, exchange it under warranty, that's what it's there for. And either keep exchanging it until you get one that works, or make use of the lemon laws and move to another device.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's only as bad as you consider it. It appears to offend some, others (like me) couldn't care any less about it because it doesn't get in the way at all. It's non-existent when you are looking at the screen relatively straight on, and nearly indistinguishable if you aren't looking at an app that isn't a sea of white, even at extreme angles. Don't let anyone dictate to you what your personal taste will be... I think it's telling that there is a rather large percentage of people - who actually have and use the phone - that say the problem is way overblown. Of the people I know that have one, it was only a problem for one person... Everyone else loves the phone.

As for the colors, the update goosed the saturation a bit. Yes, it also had a third option to crank colors to 11 for people accustomed to really oversaturated displays. In the 'natural' mode, it's muted... In boosted mode, the colors are pretty much a match with the decent monitors I use at my work.

The burn thing.. Not sure what was up with that. I've logged about two weeks in mine and there's nothing there. Even if you go into that gray YouTube video, zip, nothing. I think what people were seeing on those units was something other than burn in. If that was a problem with the screen, these things wouldn't be toast by now.

'Burn' occurs when pixels sort of wear out... They no longer can produce the same peak brightness they once could. The different colored pixels also have different lifespans... With blue being the quickest to go (they are the last stable). This is why old OLED screens tend to start to get warmer in color tone as they age (and dim overall). If the OLED pixels in these panels showed enough degradation to be seen in a little as a week or two, a month or so in, you'd see report after report of screens that are dim, ruddy red messes. I haven't seen anything of the sort. It's all just some crying foul about the blue shift and a larger, growing number saying it's really just a minor problem that isn't at all a reason to not get the phone.

And I don't think it's helping that many sites are actively hunting for people with issues, and once they find a couple, they throw up the red flag like the batteries are exploding again (it's only been a year, but have we already forgotten what a true distaster of a phone looks like?).

Don't believe the hype. Things are already settling down and user experiences, which ultimately mean far more than a monetized YouTube channel looking for traffic, are starting to drown out the rest. And the vast majority are saying this is an great phone. It has incredible battery life, an industry leading camera (that hasn't even come close to reaching it's full potential yet) and is about the smoothest and most responsive phone ever to run Android. And unlike some other models, it'll stay running that way as Google follows through on its promise to support it for several years. And yes, the screen has a few quirks, but overall, I happen to think it's still pretty good. I've watched a few videos and they look quite nice, and those front facing speakers mean you no longer have to fumble around to make sure you don't accidentally cover the bottom firing speaker.

Oh, and if you do want to plug in you headphones... You can... People talk about the lack of a headphone jack as Google abandoning wired audio... that might be had Google not included an inline adapter that happens to have an excellent DAC inside it... Good enough to provide better sound than pretty much anything that doesn't have a V30 logo stamped on its back.

Sorry for the long post here, but wanted to share my thoughts about what I consider, without hesitation, the best phone I've ever used.

returnmyjedi

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I've got a Pixel 2XL and the wife has an S8. The blue shift is next to unnoticeable on the Samsung and is quite apparent on the Pixel once you tilt it beyond 45° (it's worse when you tilt it horizontally compared to vertically to my eyes). I've had none of the other reported issues with the screen, although the S8's screen is definitely superior.

However the extraordinary camera, the speed and reassuring regularity of updates makes the Pixel the better phone in my eyes. Thanks to the original resolution Google Photos cloud storage I doubt I'm going to miss the SD card either (although I definitely would if I'd chosen the 64gb model).

McPixel

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL has a better camera, a better battery, and a well placed fingerprint scanner. On boost mode, the screen looks excellent from straight on. Yes, if you tilt it there's blue tint. But when do you ever look at your phone from the side? Plus I DO NOT like the Samsung curved edges. Personal preference, I guess, but no thanks.