11-21-2017 12:01 PM
29 12
tools
    I went ahead and bought the 2XL after having a Pixel 2 for a couple of weeks. Smaller phone was nice and I liked it but I thought maybe there was too much negative hype. But.... I held on to it just to make sure not just because I read about the screen issues, but I played with the 2 XL in the store and noticed the blue tint and I commented in the forums about how bad it seemed. Well, I was wrong. The tint issue isn't a thing. This phone is wonderful and the screen is solid, the colors in boosted mode look great. The blue tint is minimal and I like cooler colors. By the way the "Saturated" mode is awful, makes it look like a Samsung but maybe worse. In "Boosted" the colors are warmer and I think Google and LG have it tuned just right. The camera is awesome, the sound from the front firing speakers is great and the smooth performance of this phone is the best I have had from an Android since the 6p. I love it and I will be vocal against the blue tint hype and that this phone is no good as a result. I am going to sell the Pixel 2. Not worried at all now.
    11-18-2017 10:46 AM
    Welcome to the club! Tell a friend!
    11-18-2017 10:57 AM
    I bought a Pixel XL 2 several days ago. I don't have any blue tint on mine at all.
    Pixelfan56 and wwickedd like this.
    11-18-2017 10:57 AM
    I bought a Pixel XL 2 several days ago. I don't have any blue tint on mine at all.
    Yeah you do... You just don't notice it. Which is the entire point. Notes have it.. iPhones have it... So what.
    Pixelfan56, dmark44 and husslord like this.
    11-18-2017 02:07 PM
    I put my 2xl side by side with my wife's Galaxy 7, and the blue shift is almost identical. I like my phone too.
    Pixelfan56 and wwickedd like this.
    11-18-2017 02:15 PM
    Yeah you do... You just don't notice it. Which is the entire point. Notes have it.. iPhones have it... So what.
    Yep I know it's there but I don't notice it in actual use of the phone.
    Pixelfan56, wwickedd and kenorian like this.
    11-18-2017 02:25 PM
    11-18-2017 02:33 PM
    Welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Blue Tint Issue- I admit I was wrong-1605.jpg  
    11-18-2017 05:07 PM
    I only noticed the blue tint on my 2xl when I first booted the phone from new, not seen it at all since then... Phone is brilliant, super fast, amazing camera, screen is a beaut... I never really thought that my Nexus 6P would be bettered for a few years yet... 2xl has done it👍🏻
    kenorian and Gil Emery Jr like this.
    11-18-2017 05:21 PM
    Opposite experience for me. Didn't notice anything at the Verizon store. Then I got mine in and the blue was STRONG. Plus the colors were calibrated wrong. That's when I understand what so many people including trusted reviewers where talking about.
    11-18-2017 05:51 PM
    The XL is £57 a month and the regular is £42 a month... help!
    11-18-2017 06:28 PM
    XL, worth the extra ££
    11-18-2017 06:48 PM
    The XL is £57 a month and the regular is £42 a month... help!
    It just comes down to the size really. If you like really like the of one hand use, and smaller footprint. The pixel 2 is the way to go. Same internals, camera and no blue tint
    11-18-2017 07:43 PM
    Well, it's a personal taste thing. I tend to toggle and night or dark modes on any apps I have that have them... There, the shift is pretty much gone and becomes more a sight cooler shift.

Even in apps with a lot of white, meh... So what... I'm not bothered by it. But that's me. I know a could of people who were so bothered by it that they returned the phone, but in those cases, they were really looking for a reason to return the phone as they preferred another phone to start with. To each, their own.. right?

You're either going to care, or your not. I'm comfortablely in the latter. Sure, the screen has a few refinement issues, not one of them even register enough to be an issue for me. Especially with all the other awesome features of the phone.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    11-18-2017 11:47 PM
    The blue shift is real, at least in my XL. I also had some image retention with the nav bar after first boot up. Oh and the black smear issue. Replacement device (smear is only thing they considered an issue) should be hear Tuesday so hoping for a better screen.

I will say that once you start using the phone for a while you really don't notice the blue shift all that much unless you look for it. Also watching an HDR YouTube video on it is amazing.
    11-19-2017 02:39 PM
    It has not been an issue for me.
    11-19-2017 02:51 PM
    No problem here, love the phone!
    11-19-2017 09:08 PM
    When I got the phone, I looked for it and saw it. Haven't noticed it in duly use since then. Awesome phone.
    firebirder likes this.
    11-19-2017 10:35 PM
    I might be in the minority but I think the screen is beautiful. Honestly don't notice the blue shift. I've shown people videos holding my phone up high and people at different angles and everyone thought the screen was beautiful. I didn't mention blue shift to them and they didn't say anything about blue shift. coincidence? I think not.
    nelamvr6 and Jeremiah Bonds like this.
    11-19-2017 11:43 PM
    Mine has it. No doubt. But I don't ever really notice it unless I'm actually looking for it. While it may not be top notch like the current Samsung panels, the "issues" with it have been dramatically overblown from an actual daily use perspective, IMHO. But then again, based on it's sale price, I can still understand why there is such consternation regarding the tint-on-tilt issue.
    11-19-2017 11:58 PM
    @Technocratic71, it's takes a big person to admit you were wrong, or at least misinformed, and an even bigger person to admit so publicly! Most would not have given the phone a chance after a poor initial reaction. Congrats on being that kind of person and enjoy the phone.
    11-20-2017 12:49 AM
    yes this
    11-20-2017 07:13 AM
    I played with the 2 XL in the store and noticed the blue tint and I commented in the forums about how bad it seemed.
    You saw a phone in the store and the blue shift bothered you. Enough to take the effort to comment on it.

Well, I was wrong... The blue tint is minimal and I like cooler colors.
    You weren't wrong. You got a display that had less blue shift than the one you saw in the store.

I love it and I will be vocal against the blue tint hype and that this phone is no good as a result.
    Awesome. You saw the variance in the displays that Google put out yourself and those unlucky enough to get bad ones will hear from you about how they're wrong.
    AustinTech likes this.
    11-20-2017 01:35 PM
    Awesome. You saw the variance in the displays that Google put out yourself and those unlucky enough to get bad ones will hear from you about how they're wrong.
    Ah so this situation is just like those people who tell me that blue tint should never be accepted and I am wrong even for accepting mine even though I got a good one and only see it if I truly tilt it 45 or more?

It def. goes both ways. No reason to try and make him look like a bad guy .. There are people on both sides .
    nelamvr6 likes this.
    11-20-2017 01:44 PM
    Mine has it. No doubt. But I don't ever really notice it unless I'm actually looking for it. While it may not be top notch like the current Samsung panels, the "issues" with it have been dramatically overblown from an actual daily use perspective, IMHO. But then again, based on it's sale price, I can still understand why there is such consternation regarding the tint-on-tilt issue.
    Couldn't agree more. Some of us, it won't bother; others, it'll make batcrap crazy.

I do wonder, though, if these over-publicized display issues will come back to haunt us down the road when we try to sell or trade in our 2 XLs. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out next year for posts about 2 XLs being devalued as trade-ins because they don't "turn on."
    11-21-2017 09:09 AM
29 12