Screen brightness?

Malathan

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I got the 2 XL, but returned it due to screen issues. Instead I got the normal 2. And as normal, indecisive so reordered the 2 Xl to see if screen is better and to compare side by side. Well...

2 XL is noticeable dimmer than the smaller 2. Is this due to the latest patch, which 2 XL has, but not hitting the smaller 2 yet (why?)?

Really torn between the two, with the XL being the size I love from the 6P, but smaller having better screen, albeit lower resolution. decisions decisions. But screen brightness may be deciding factor.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't compare it to the XL but the smaller P2 is the first phone in a very long time that I've been fine running the brightness below 50%. It's quite bright enough for me at lower intensity and saves power to boot, a bonus. I don't have the patch yet tho but have not heard anyone complaining about a difference after applying it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 2 XL did get a patch that decreased the max brightness by 50 nits (in an further effort to prevent burn-in). I don't believe the 2 will lower its max brightness.

I haven't noticed any difference on my 2 XL after the patch, and I can still use the phone easily in broad daylight.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The XL does seem a little dim. I have both and they both have trouble with videos/YouTube being too dark. Blacks are terrible I've noticed on pixel 2 and a little on the XL. Watching YouTube videos (darker music videos).
Turn the brightness up and black is awful at times. Loses details and just becomes a black blotchyness /crushing. Out of both though the small one was worse. Though everything else throughout the day they were both fine. I have no other issues.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I run my regular pixel 2 at %32 with night mode always on and it's plenty bright

Haven't noticed any issue with coloring like black on YouTube or anything

Malathan

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting...turned adaptive off, but still behaving as if on...dimming screen heavily. Thus i started this thread. Checked a few times on display settings and it was always off...and screen dim. BUT I restarted and it showed as on. Turned off again and screen is what I expected...good brightness. Toggled adaptive brightness and what ever got stuck seems to be cleared. Found reference to settings being stuck and solution is to reboot, but fdr is sometimes required.

As to question on my preferred brightness, I usually run around 50-60% brightness.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 2, November security update patch. Color selection is "Natural".

I have brightness set at 35% with Adaptive Brightness on.

Bright enough for me indoors and readable outdoors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs