11-30-2017 02:46 PM
46 12
tools
    Hi, everyone!

Now that Black Friday is here, it seems like there are phone deals everywhere - and it isn't even Cyber Monday yet!

To those of you who are thinking about buying a Pixel 2-series phone this weekend, or to those of you who already have one: will/did you get your Pixel 2-series device through your carrier or directly from Google?
    11-24-2017 12:04 PM
    Once my contract ended last year just after the 7/7 Plus came out, I said I was done going through Verizon. So, I purchased my Pixel 2 outright through Google.
    Morty2264 and MooMooPrincess like this.
    11-24-2017 12:17 PM
    Once my contract ended last year just after the 7/7 Plus came out, I said I was done going through Verizon. So, I purchased my Pixel 2 outright through Google.
    Awesome! What colour did you get?
    11-24-2017 12:40 PM
    Awesome! What colour did you get?
    "Just Black"
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-24-2017 12:44 PM
    Verizon phones are locked, Google phones aren't. If you ever want to flash the phone you should buy it from Google, I do that all the time so I don't have to wait for the OTAs. Also if you think there is any chance that you will want to switch carriers or go with project Fi you will want the Google version. Personally I would never buy a phone from Verizon but ir you aren't the type to download images and flash them or if you have no interest in switching carriers then you should just look for the best deal.
    Morty2264 and mumfoau like this.
    11-24-2017 01:03 PM
    I haven't purchased a carrier locked phone in years now. I always just purchase unlocked phones at retail pricing. Not interested in monthly payments and / or having it locked down to a specific carrier.

I am on Fi with a clearly white Pixel 2 (non XL). I purchased mine through Fi but at full price..
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-24-2017 01:10 PM
    "Just Black"
    Awesome! It's a beautiful colour!
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-24-2017 01:12 PM
    Verizon phones are locked, Google phones aren't. If you ever want to flash the phone you should buy it from Google, I do that all the time so I don't have to wait for the OTAs. Also if you think there is any chance that you will want to switch carriers or go with project Fi you will want the Google version. Personally I would never buy a phone from Verizon but ir you aren't the type to download images and flash them or if you have no interest in switching carriers then you should just look for the best deal.
    I have bought unlocked in the past and love the freedom of doing so; so I definitely understand your point. But I don't see myself switching carriers so I may look for the best deal, as you've said.
    11-24-2017 01:13 PM
    I haven't purchased a carrier locked phone in years now. I always just purchase unlocked phones at retail pricing. Not interested in monthly payments and / or having it locked down to a specific carrier.

I am on Fi with a clearly white Pixel (non XL). I purchased mine through Fi but at full price..
    Hope you are enjoying your new phone! I too love buying unlocked. Gives you great freedom!
    11-24-2017 01:13 PM
    Yeah though I don't intend to leave Verizon, I bought the unlocked version from Google.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-24-2017 01:15 PM
    Verizon phones are bootloader locked / Google ones aren't. That is the only difference.

You can flash OTA updates (versus waiting for the actual OTA) via Googles website even with the Verizon version. It is only if you want to install custom ROMs (full images) that you need the unlocked bootloader.

Also the Verizon version will work if you swap over to Fi -- why do you think it won't? The Verizon version will actually work with all carriers... exactly the same as the one bought from Google.
    libra89, DMP89145 and raqball like this.
    11-24-2017 01:15 PM
    In general, unlocked variants tend to have a greater resale value.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-24-2017 01:22 PM
    I've noticed that as well
    11-24-2017 01:22 PM
    Of other phones? Yeah. With the Google one it is the same phone. As I said previously the only thing that is different is the bootloader and that only matters if you're doing custom ROMs / rooting (not OTA updates).
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-24-2017 01:23 PM
    Verizon phones are bootloader locked / Google ones aren't. That is the only difference.

You can flash OTA updates (versus waiting for the actual OTA) via Googles website even with the Verizon version. It is only if you want to install custom ROMs (full images) that you need the unlocked bootloader.

Also the Verizon version will work if you swap over to Fi -- why do you think it won't? The Verizon version will actually work with all carriers... exactly the same as the one bought from Google.
    True.. The bad on Verizon phones in the past (specifically the Nexus) was lack of updates. In some cases, the VZW version of phones is actually the best one to get (I'm looking at you iPhone) as they are really the true unlocked version as far as carrier phones go.

VZW was forced by the FCC years ago to make all phones their unlocked.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-24-2017 01:24 PM
    True.. The bad on Verizon phones in the past (specifically the Nexus) was lack of updates. In some cases, the VZW version of phones is actually the best one to get (I'm looking at you iPhone) as they are really the true unlocked version as far as carrier phones go.

VZW was forced by the FTC years ago to make all phones their unlocked.
    Yeah that is with the Nexus. Since the Pixel they come out at the same time as Googles (in terms of OTA updates). It was like that with the Pixel 1 and I don't expect it to change with the Pixel 2.

Also if you want to sideload the OTA instead of wait for it you can do it the same as you can with a Google Store one.
    raqball likes this.
    11-24-2017 01:26 PM
    Of other phones? Yeah. With the Google one it is the same phone. As I said previously the only thing that is different is the bootloader and that only matters if you're doing custom ROMs / rooting (not OTA updates).
    Yes, I agree they are essentially the same. From a typical "aftermarket" buyer's perspective, they may not know or care. If someone sees both "carrier" and "unlocked" listed, all else being equal, I think in general, most people will prefer unlocked (i.e. greater demand).
    11-24-2017 01:34 PM
    Agreed. Perhaps because you don't have to pay more elsewhere/go through the hassle of getting them locked to your carrier? So people, knowing this, will pay more for the phone/will have better resale "luck" when selling used devices?
    11-24-2017 01:37 PM
    Yes, I agree they are essentially the same. From a typical "aftermarket" buyer's perspective, they may not know or care. If someone sees both "carrier" and "unlocked" listed, all else being equal, I think in general, most people will prefer unlocked (i.e. greater demand).
    Well if they are just regular consumer sure -- they have this idea that "unlocked" is better. For someone who does know they will know there is no difference unless they want to root/ROM. It will take time for people to learn .

Just like general consumers are starting to learn that Verizon phones are all unlocked out of the box to work on any carrier. No contacting your carrier for an "unlock code" like phones from other carriers.
    11-24-2017 01:47 PM
    Based on the prior pixel on swappa it's really not that big a difference
    11-24-2017 02:11 PM

Developer mode is grayed out on Verizon phones so you can't enable developer mode, if you can't enable developer mode you can't flash a factory image, you can only do OTA updates. There is one more very important thing that developer mode allows which has nothing to do with rooting or flashing, you can't turn off animations unless you are in developer mode. I don't know why they've tied this to developer mode or why animations even exist in the first place because they are useless and slow down the user interface but it is what it is. The very first thing I do with a new phone or when I've done a reset (usually because I flashed an image) is to enable developer mode and then turn off all of the transition effects and animations.
    11-24-2017 02:18 PM
    Developer mode is grayed out on Verizon phones so you can't enable developer mode, if you can't enable developer mode you can't flash a factory image, you can only do OTA updates. There is one more very important thing that developer mode allows which has nothing to do with rooting or flashing, you can't turn off animations unless you are in developer mode. I don't know why they've tied this to developer mode or why animations even exist in the first place because they are useless and slow down the user interface but it is what it is. The very first thing I do with a new phone or when I've done a reset (usually because I flashed an image) is to enable developer mode and then turn off all of the transition effects and animations.
    That is literally what I said. You can flash OTA updates -- You just can't do full ROMs which are usually custom ROMs. You said previously you couldn't do OTA updates (a.k.a side load them) which was incorrect (quoted below).

If you ever want to flash the phone you should buy it from Google, I do that all the time so I don't have to wait for the OTAs.
    You also went on to say Fi / other carriers wouldn't work on the Verizon variant which is also incorrect. The phone will work on all carriers, including Project Fi, without a hiccup.
    11-24-2017 02:20 PM
    Developer mode is grayed out on Verizon phones so you can't enable developer mode, if you can't enable developer mode you can't flash a factory image, you can only do OTA updates.

....The very first thing I do with a new phone or when I've done a reset (usually because I flashed an image) is to enable developer mode and then turn off all of the transition effects and animations.
    Also this is incorrect. Bootloader being locked means you can't flash a full image (not OTA updates) and that is it. I can still access Developer Mode on my phone. See below...

11-24-2017 02:29 PM
    That is literally what I said. You can flash OTA updates -- You just can't do full ROMs which are usually custom ROMs. You said previously you couldn't do OTA updates (a.k.a side load them) which was incorrect (quoted below).

You also went on to say Fi / other carriers wouldn't work on the Verizon variant which is also incorrect. The phone will work on all carriers, including Project Fi, without a hiccup.
    I don't know about other carriers, I take your word for it but I'm sure that Verizon has something in there contract that will make you give back any discounts that they offered if you change carriers.

When I said that I don't like to wait for OTAs, I've never flashed an OTA image I always flash full factory images. I don't mind that a full factory image does a factory reset, factory resets clean every thing up.

What I don't know is if you can use Project FI and Verizon at the same time, it seems that would be useful. The Pixel 2s have e-sims in them which support FI so in theory it should be possible to have Verizon and Project FI at the same time. The scenario where I would see this as useful is for overseas travel. At home Verizon has the best coverage so there isn't a need to supplement it with FI, but when you are out of the country Verizon's overseas roaming plans are very expensive, FI would be a huge benefit under those circumstances.
    11-24-2017 02:31 PM
    Also this is incorrect. Bootloader being locked means you can't flash a full image (not OTA updates) and that is it. I can still access Developer Mode on my phone. See below...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9ea4614c92.jpg
    I stand corrected.
    Law2138 likes this.
    11-24-2017 02:32 PM
46 12