do you miss the headphone jack?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not at all as I was already only using 3 Bluetooth headsets. Also I've hear all people are doing is leaving the dongle that came with the pixel 2 xl attached to their favorite head phones as if it was part of the headphones and calling it a day. This way they don't risk forgetting it or losing it.

Exactly....and I ordered an extra dongle for my earbuds

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You.Are.My.Hero!

My wife, probably doesn't like you as much as I'm about to drop $400 on a set of headphones, but I am stoked to hear that USB-C on these will work with my Pixel 2 XL.

Thank you so much!

LOL, you are welcome. Let me know what you think when you get them. I was just at Worst Buy last night and was shocked that they had the PX's. I didn't know they carried such high end equipment. I went into the Magnolia area, and was also shocked that they had B&W Speakers, not the 800's they were lower end models, but for B&W lower end still means $2,600 a pair. They also had the wireless Zeppelin. Ipaired my Pixel to it, and was amazed at the sound it produced. These phones are my first B&W purchase, but so far I am truly impressed with their speakers as well as headphones.

DSnoop

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Not at all as I was already only using 3 Bluetooth headsets. Also I've hear all people are doing is leaving the dongle that came with the pixel 2 xl attached to their favorite head phones as if it was part of the headphones and calling it a day. This way they don't risk forgetting it or losing it.

Why does the consumer have to initiate a work around to accommodate the producer? Insanity.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Why does the consumer have to initiate a work around to accommodate the producer? Insanity.

Well for me it doesn't matter bc I've converted 100% to wireless headsets about 6-8 months ago when I started training so for me nothing has changed, however if I fly then I will bring the dongle with me which I keep inside the case I have for one of my bluetooth headsets which work with Bluetooth and 3.5mm jack.

Seems like all manufactures of high end devices are converting to
TYPE C and 3.5 mm jack won't be here much longer for future phones so people might as well start preparing whether it's using a dongle or upgrading their head set.

For me personally I don't think attaching the dongle that came in with the pixel phone to your main headphones and just leave it there is a big deal. It does come down to preference and yes having type C and 3.5mm would of been ideal, but looks like phone manufactures are phasing it out. I bet by next year there will only be like 1 or 2 flagship phone companies that will keep the 3.5mm jack.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, if the BT stream and the digital audio signal over USB are similar in terms of quality, that will be the case. Both are providing the headphones' DAC with digital data.

Bluetooth is getting close depending on the formats that the device and headphones use.
It depends a lot on how much compression is going on. Most people probably can't hear the difference or don't know what to listen for.

DSnoop

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Well for me it doesn't matter bc I've converted 100% to wireless headsets about 6-8 months ago when I started training so for me nothing has changed, however if I fly then I will bring the dongle with me which I keep inside the case I have for one of my bluetooth headsets which work with Bluetooth and 3.5mm jack.

Seems like all manufactures of high end devices are converting to
TYPE C and 3.5 mm jack won't be here much longer for future phones so people might as well start preparing whether it's using a dongle or upgrading their head set.

For me personally I don't think attaching the dongle that came in with the pixel phone to your main headphones and just leave it there is a big deal. It does come down to preference and yes having type C and 3.5mm would of been ideal, but looks like phone manufactures are phasing it out. I bet by next year there will only be like 1 or 2 flagship phone companies that will keep the 3.5mm jack.

Time to move back to a flip phone and a music device again then. This consumer is not going to do something just to accommodate the production company. What kind of backwards world do we live in? Like saying that video streaming apps will no longer accommodate TVs because most kids watch TV on their tablets and phones. Like I said, insanity.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Time to move back to a flip phone and a music device again then. This consumer is not going to do something just to accommodate the production company. What kind of backwards world do we live in? Like saying that video streaming apps will no longer accommodate TVs because most kids watch TV on their tablets and phones. Like I said, insanity.

You aren't forced to get this particular phone -- hence why Android is great. Choices. Not just "1" phone like iPhone :).

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Well the way of the future seems like it's going to be type C whether we like it or not so if you can eventually hop on the bandwagon you won't be able to get a high end device Inna couple of years. I mean there are rumors that Bluetooth will eventually get as good as the 3.5mm jack hopefully this is true then it wouldn't matter as much. I think the reason they are replacing the 3.5mm jack with type c is bc type cc can be used for charging and music as well as other third party peripherals and they get to make more room by eliminating a 3.5 mm jack and micro USB port for a type c port.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
yes, still want the standard 3.5.. Too many Legacy devices, like using the auxiliary Jack in my car stereo. like that tool that you only use a couple times a year. It's still nice to have when you need it

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
if your solution is to always have it with you, so it doesn't matter which of your two cars you're using, or the auxiliary speaker on the workbench in your garage, then that's great that that solution works for you

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
if your solution is to always have it with you, so it doesn't matter which of your two cars you're using, or the auxiliary speaker on the workbench in your garage, then that's great that that solution works for you

Extra dongles are only about 9 bucks but if that doesn't work for you then there's no solution except to live with it or go with something different.

anon(10271520)

Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
My issue with removing the jack is what benefit are we getting? More options are always a good thing, and to have a headphone jack plus the USB C connector is better than just the USB C connector. It's not like the Pixel 2 seemed to gain any size benefits from removing it either, when compared to the Pixel 1. It seems to me as just a way for companies to cut costs to give them more profit. It's a greed move, and that isn't cool.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
What I'd really like to see, is an in depth review of the adaptors, inclusive with phones and generic and also against audiophile phones such as LG V30.

This could be the way forward, if quality audio could be added to phone of choice, at a reasonable cost.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My issue with removing the jack is what benefit are we getting? More options are always a good thing, and to have a headphone jack plus the USB C connector is better than just the USB C connector. It's not like the Pixel 2 seemed to gain any size benefits from removing it either, when compared to the Pixel 1. It seems to me as just a way for companies to cut costs to give them more profit. It's a greed move, and that isn't cool.

I don't think it is a greed move. It is technology changing and since we are the first adopters -- it is growing pains. I bet once USB-C headphones are abundant you won't hear anyone say anything anymore :).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is a greed move. It is technology changing and since we are the first adopters -- it is growing pains. I bet once USB-C headphones are abundant you won't hear anyone say anything anymore :).

For those that headphones that use a removable cable all that you will need is to change the cable if someone makes one

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

In my car I have a Bluetooth device connect to my cars aux port and my phone connects to it via Bluetooth. For my garage where I workout I have a Bose Bluetooth speaker which my phone connects too so no aux needed. And in my house I have 1 Google home + 3 Google minis which I connect to via Bluetooth as well. I guess in my case it doesn't matter unless I have to fly, but then again my Bluetooth headphones have an aux built in and came with a 3.5mm wire in case I need it.

I 100% can see it being an issue for some for sure though. I think with the next couple of years people will ultimately upgrade their equipment little by little.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

The benefit is they make more room for the screen aka bezels. Only needing a charging port vs and audio port + charging port along with the cameras and speakers. I also think with type c there will eventually be third-party peripherals we will be able to use with our phones.